"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Head Chef

True parmesan cheese is considered the king of cheeses. And I have to agree. The stuff in the can isn't parmesan at all because parmesan cheese is imported from Italy, Parma to be exact and the taste is far superior than the "fake" stuff. Don't spoil an otherwise great dish with the canned stuff.
And by the way, imported parmesan cheese is just cheese. Take a look at the ingredients side of the can and tell me what you see. GAG!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
Head Chef

For a few bucks you can get a cheese grater and keep a hunk of Parmegiano or Romano in it. I store it in the refigerator in a plastic bag. It is as fast to grate as getting out the green box. There is no comparison in taste. I'm not sure that the box stuff is less or more expensive. For my taste, Pecorino Romano is an ecceptable substitute, but either must be fresh grated.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Senior Cook

DON'T use the stuff in the green can! Grate your own, it is worth every cent.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
The stuff in the can isn't parmesan at all because parmesan cheese is imported from Italy, Parma to be exact and the taste is far superior than the "fake" stuff. Don't spoil an otherwise great dish with the canned stuff.

"Parmesan" is a type of cheese that can be made anywhere.

It is a DOP protected name only in Europe.

The DOP protected cheese can be made in places other than Parma, actually.

List of Italian PDO cheeses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree that the canned stuff is terrible.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Head Chef

I make this killer artichoke and parmesan dip every new years eve, it has 2 cups of that green canned stuff, 2 cans of artichokes, one marinated, one in water-drained, and mayo to bind. Then bake until bubbly. I'm certain it would be better with real parmesan, I just can't afford it especially with this economy.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I make this killer artichoke and parmesan dip every new years eve, it has 2 cups of that green canned stuff, 2 cans of artichokes, one marinated, one in water-drained, and mayo to bind. Then bake until bubbly. I'm certain it would be better with real parmesan, I just can't afford it especially with this economy.
Gee, I was beginning to think I was the only person on this site who will admit to eating the stuff in the green canister It is what it is. I like "crap in a box", too (Kraft mac and cheese). Amazing Kraft can even stay in business selling all that yucky stuff

I just got the mail and Parm regg is on sale this week for $12.99/lb. That's $7 off according to the ad. That's 3x as much as what I paid those steaks a while back I eat steak every week. I eat parmesan cheese 3x/year. If I ate it more regularly I might be able to justify keeping fresh around. Homie's palate don't roll that way.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Gee, I was beginning to think I was the only person on this site who will admit to eating the stuff in the green canister It is what it is. I like "crap in a box", too (Kraft mac and cheese). Amazing Kraft can even stay in business selling all that yucky stuff

I just got the mail and Parm regg is on sale this week for $12.99/lb. That's $7 off according to the ad. That's 3x as much as what I paid those steaks a while back I eat steak every week. I eat parmesan cheese 3x/year. If I ate it more regularly I might be able to justify keeping fresh around. Homie's palate don't roll that way.
Parmesan Pals for life.
I actually like it, especially on buttered popcorn. The real grated stuff without the filler in the green canister.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I eat parmesan cheese 3x/year. If I ate it more regularly I might be able to justify keeping fresh around.
Maybe if you ate good tasting cheese instead of old dried out mass produced junk then you would want to eat it more than 3x a year

I am just joking (sort of). I have no problem with people eating and liking the stuff from the can. More power to you. There are plenty of things I eat that are junk. Everyone's palate is different and if you can enjoy a lower quality product then there is nothing wrong with that IMO.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:

That's very expensive cheese. Good quality Parm-Reg need not be $20/lb.
I'm sure you can find it cheaper. Or use grana padano if you can find that.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
Head Chef

I think if I were making a dip that had lots of other ingredients I may use the green can. I don't really think it's all that cheap for the green can either since you can usually get a small amount of better cheese at the cheese dept. Does any of what I just wrote make sense?

Tags
None