"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Maybe if you ate good tasting cheese instead of old dried out mass produced junk then you would want to eat it more than 3x a year

I am just joking (sort of). I have no problem with people eating and liking the stuff from the can. More power to you. There are plenty of things I eat that are junk. Everyone's palate is different and if you can enjoy a lower quality product then there is nothing wrong with that IMO.
Exactly.
I realize there's a difference, just like there's a difference between Kobi beef and the stuff you get at the local butcher, or on a smaller scale a steak and a hamburger patty, but for some reason bring up Parmesan cheese and it turns into a thread with people not understanding how anyone could eat or even consider using the stuff in the green can. I'd bet a hundred bucks in the blink of an eye that 50% of the people on this board served a dish containing Kraft parm or fresh parm probably wouldn't even care. It's called Discuss Cooking, not Discuss Finer Cooking. IMO people should realize that and express their dislike for certain foods a little more tactfully. I don't like people calling the food I (or anyone else) eats tasteless crap, even if it is It just ain't polite.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Gee, I was beginning to think I was the only person on this site who will admit to eating the stuff in the green canister It is what it is. I like "crap in a box", too (Kraft mac and cheese). Amazing Kraft can even stay in business selling all that yucky stuff

I just got the mail and Parm regg is on sale this week for $12.99/lb. That's $7 off according to the ad. That's 3x as much as what I paid those steaks a while back I eat steak every week. I eat parmesan cheese 3x/year. If I ate it more regularly I might be able to justify keeping fresh around. Homie's palate don't roll that way.
Hey Fred! I eat the crap in a can as well. As a matter of fact, I just topped my dinner with it, and it aint so bad. Of course, I ain't got no kulture anyway.

Joe the Slug with No Taste

Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Head Chef

Okay this is not the www.cookingforandbysnobs.com forum. Oh My link didn't work, darn!
I can get it for 2 cans for $5, making it $5 a lb. If I could get parmesan in a chunk for that price I'd certainly buy it.

Okay no religion, politics or parmesan.
~thread killer extrordinaire
Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
I don't like people calling the food I (or anyone else) eats tasteless crap, even if it is It just ain't polite.
Thanks, Fred. My wife and I are both self-employed. No, we don't own factories with 500 employees and a corporate jet, nor do we own a restaurant in the Ritz Carlton with 5-star chefs at our disposal, and we certainly are not gourmet chefs (I hope I don't get banned for admitting my deficiencies). I am a Handyman (fix sinks, toilets, electrical work and carpentry) and my wife is a working owner of a residential cleaning business. We live within a budget and eat well (can't remember the last time we ended up in the Emergency Room because of eating "normal" foods), although not top shelf by any stretch. I shop for value priced fresh ingredients whenever possible, but have somehow made it on this planet for 58 years without $20/pound cheeses on my food. I agree that it's not polite to chastise someone because they cannot or choose to not purchase the high priced spread.

Gotta run. Going to pick up some peasant blood sausage and sauerkraut while clinging to my guns and religion.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Thanks, Fred. My wife and I are both self-employed. No, we don't own factories with 500 employees and a corporate jet, nor do we own a restaurant in the Ritz Carlton with 5-star chefs at our disposal, and we certainly are not gourmet chefs (I hope I don't get banned for admitting my deficiencies). I am a Handyman (fix sinks, toilets, electrical work and carpentry) and my wife is a working owner of a residential cleaning business. We live within a budget and eat well (can't remember the last time we ended up in the Emergency Room because of eating "normal" foods), although not top shelf by any stretch. I shop for value priced fresh ingredients whenever possible, but have somehow made it on this planet for 58 years without $20/pound cheeses on my food. I agree that it's not polite to chastise someone because they cannot or choose to not purchase the high priced spread.

Gotta run. Going to pick up some peasant blood sausage and sauerkraut while clinging to my guns and religion.

you're right...and I shouldn't have said the green stuff is yucky... sorry about that. I stuck my foot in my mouth big time.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerf View Post
Hi, I recently found a recipe for a dip which I would like to make for my christmas party. It calls for 2 cups of grated parmasean cheese. Does this mean "fresh" or do I use the container of kraft grated cheese. Is there a difference in taste?
I live in Canada but I do wish everyone across the border a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday.
Summer
Fresh is always better. The can will work..but won't have the taste or texture.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh you guys.... (sniff), I'm not alone.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Oh you guys.... (sniff), I'm not alone.
Not at all, Fred, not at all. here are still a lot of us "common folk" out here buying the things that keep the grocers in business.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Not at all, Fred, not at all. here are still a lot of us "common folk" out here buying the things that keep the grocers in business.
Dare I say I bought a loaf of Wonderbread today?

OK, just kidding, just kidding

Not that there's anything wrong with that
Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol.. turkey sandwiches on wonderbread the day after Thanksgiving are a special childhood memory. :)

Tags
None