"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
lol.. turkey sandwiches on wonderbread the day after Thanksgiving are a special childhood memory. :)

Mmmm, with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.... I mean grating

Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

OK guys, this thread has strayed from the original question. We need to bring it back on topic please.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I've always liked both, but for different things. I like the canned stuff for topping baked pasta dishes and pizza or for italian pasta salad. I like the "fresh" stuff for making sauces, soups, etc because it will melt better. As far as taste, I would have to say, for me it's a tie.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #34
Head Chef

I would rather use a minute amount of the real deal than six green cans of the other.

But then I've found that splurging on a few items (mostly on things like oil, cheeses, vinegars) means than I can hugely enhance even the most simple ingredients.

Like everyone else I have to pick and choose what I indulge in at the grocery store. Parmesan just isn't one of them for me.

Then again, I have a son who loved cheese that squirted from a can! To each their own. I hope your recipe turns out fantastic.

Z
Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 AM   #35
Master Chef

I'm off the canned thing...
Used it years ago, grew up with it. Didn't liked it that much, for me it had always a taste of having been eaten before, if you know what I mean....

Then I had my half italian boyfriend and learned about the fresh cheese..
And I must admit, I use it with averything you can use it..
Pasta, Pizza, Dips, Sauces, Soups (grated on top of some veggie soup - delecious)
It don't have to be Parmigiano-Reggiano, maybe the Grana Padano or Pecorino are less expensive, but it's a hard cheese, too, and works just as well.

But that's a thing I found out:
You rarely get real good quality at low cost.
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #36
Head Chef

Post removed. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I know better, but still acted in poor taste.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Let the debate begin
Actually, no lets NOT let the debate begin. As I said earlier, this thread has strayed from the original topic and we need to get back to that. I do not want to have to lock this thread because it is no longer on topic, but that is what will happen if we do not get back to discussing the OP's original question.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerf View Post
Hi, I recently found a recipe for a dip which I would like to make for my christmas party. It calls for 2 cups of grated parmasean cheese. Does this mean "fresh" or do I use the container of kraft grated cheese. Is there a difference in taste?
I live in Canada but I do wish everyone across the border a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday.
Summer
Hi, Summer. As you've seen, there is a difference in taste, but whether it's worth the increased cost is debatable

Last spring, I bought imported Parmigiano Reggiano for the first time and was truly amazed by the difference in flavor between that and even domestic Parmesan cheese, much less Kraft in the green can. The imported cheese is aged longer and so has a more complex flavor.

We still keep a can of Kraft on hand, though - the one that's 100% real Parmesan cheese - because DH doesn't always feel like grating some fresh. I don't think it's as good, though. It isn't aged as long as more expensive domestic Parmesan, and the pre-grating does mean it's dried out some by the time you use it.

I bought it through an Amazon.com store for about $15 per pound. In local grocery stores, it was $19-22 per pound. HTH.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #39
Sous Chef

For any recipe especially a dip I would use fresh grated... it will integrate better and add alot more flavor.

I see the canister stuff as more of a pasta topping... I keep some around (shh my Italian relatives would disown me... that stuff is unthinkable to them... but then there is always a container of reggiano and a container of romano in moms fridge) for when I am lazy or have nothing else but I would not use it in a recipe such as a dip or meatballs if I had the option.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerf View Post
Hi, I recently found a recipe for a dip which I would like to make for my christmas party. It calls for 2 cups of grated parmasean cheese. Does this mean "fresh" or do I use the container of kraft grated cheese. Is there a difference in taste?
The recipe means what it says - 2 cups of grated parmasean cheese. What you use (fresh, bagged or canned) is your choice - go with what fits in your budget. You could also use romano cheese without much of a flavor difference.

Cheese, like everything else, is not cheap these days. While the fresh (grate it yourself) imported from Parma might taste better - don't be ashamed to use what you can afford. Unless you work for Gourmet Magazine - I doubt your guests/co-workers will notice. I'm sure it will still taste good.

Tags
None