Cottage cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure about ricota. The cotage cheese I had I kind of squeezed(not sure if ths is the corect word) thru fine colander(sp?) and it worked very nicely.

Cottage Cheese - Farmer's Cheese question. I just saved CharlieD's Russian Cheese Babka recipe - I will be making a Ukrainian Cheese "Cake" (seems they are more like pies) so I will also make Charlie's Babka. He hasn't led me astray yet!

I have a question about farmer's cheese - I understand that the Ukrainian and Russian farmer's cheese is much higher in fat content than what we have. What is the Ukrainian fat content Charlie - any idea? I always take a good normal fat cottage cheese, drain it well through a strainer and then finally press it through. Works well for me and folks seem to like the cheese cakes/pies but what do we know?

My container of cottage cheese says 4% fat minimum. Sound right? I'm wondering about making cottage cheese from buttermilk - the instructions I have are easy but my buttermilk says 3.5% fat. Anybody made cottage cheese this way? Can I just add some heavy cream to the buttermilk to increase the fat content before I start?

CharlieD - does it make any difference? Is 4% fat enough for Ukrainian and Russian cooking. I'm going to make your babka so keep me on the right path!
Thanks, David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom