"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
I have my own crépe recipe, used it for years, and it always works well. I don't use it too often because my main optique in our diet is that it should above all healthy within the parameters of our own dietary requirements as advised by the doc. Sounds boring, and I can tell you it darn well is sometimes. So crépes are a luxury for us, but, boy, do we enjoy them when I do them! It seems like all our Christmases have come at once!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Crêpes always feel special to me too even though I'm not under any special diet. It takes some time to make so I can't have some so often. Hope you can enjoy some soon

Clochette

Old 10-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Welcome to DC!!!

Crepes are wonderful for a savory meal.
My girl friend, Missus Dear Friend and I go to lunch about every two weeks or so and there's this great little place in town that offers crepes.
I enjoy the Avocado Crepe with a side salad, very filling

Attachment 27988
Thanks Kaneohegirlinaz!!

Looks delicious! Never tried it with avocado. Thanks for the good idea!

Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Oui, that's it. Merci.

What is the word for it in French?

Parakeet perch/crepe rack doesn't sound appetizing.
De rien

The french for it is "rateau à crêpes". Doesn't sound too appetizing in french either!! I'm glad I didn't know about its name so far and will keep on not calling it that way
Old 10-01-2017, 02:33 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, that's funny. This reminds me of the animated movie Ratatouille. Have you seen it?

A rateau. Good enough for such a delicious treat.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:55 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

I have! Loved it!

I bet rateau would do it in english...but not on its own in french unfortunaltely. Glad I could help this time
Old 10-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #26
Executive Chef

It's called a crepe spreader in English.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your help Medtran 49!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #28
Executive Chef

We'll be having crepes again for dinner next week, ricotta, smoked moz, spinach, and dry-sautéed criminis with just a bit of sicilian type t-sauce.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I don't do crepes but I use a French cast iron crepe pan for omelettes and pancakes.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Reading over the thread again, I reckon, to use an English term, I'm rather precious about things culinary whenever I have a recipe that I've used for years. Clochette's recipe is good, the mix has the right elasticity so that you can make a filling and roll it up and it doesn't disintegrate before your very eyes even before you put it into the oven having rolled the filling into it. I have several fillings that I use, and they all come out immaculate with Clochette's recipe, and the pancakes don't disintegrate even though there is a fair amount of moisture in the filling. I don't like it for crèpes suzette, but that's not a problem because I have a different recipe for that, and, in the main, I can now make savoury pancakes thanks to your recipe.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Tags
dinner, eggs, recipe

Crêpes for dinner? This is a very traditional French recipe. Easy to make. What's good with crepes is that you can fill them with nearly anything you like. For 25-30 crepes : [LIST] [*]2 cups flour [*]1 cup milk (instead add 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup water for a lighter result) [*]3 eggs [*]a bit of salt [/LIST] Alternative to cow's milk, : you can replace half of the total quantity by rice milk (or any other vegetable milk you like) and the other half by water. In a bowl, pour sieved flour and add salt, then crack in eggs. Start beating and add milk/liquids little by little. Result must be very fluid. If not, add water tbsp after tbsp and beat in between until expected result obtained. In a warm greased all around non-sticky saucepan, pour a ladle of the mix and spread it around the saucepan bottom by moving the saucepan in a circle. After about 2 minutes, with a long flat spatula, flip the crepe around for it to cook on its other side for another 2 minutes. Then slide the crepe on a plate. And start again untill you run out of crepe mix (don't forget to grease your saucepan before you pour the mix!). If the first crepe is a failure, try again (and again if necessary), you should improve each time you try again. For the filling, feel free to add anything you like. It can be fried or scrambled egg(s) with ham and/or cheese. Or cooked vegetable. Or creamy mushrooms. Or just several cheeses you let melt just a moment in a folded in half crepe in a warm saucepan : any grated cheese, blue cheese, parmesan... If you didn't use all of you mix, you can use what's left as a dessert. Just add 2-3 tbsp sugar before you cook any more crepe. Then fill them with any jam, melted chocolate or mapple syrup you like. Enjoy :yum:! 3 stars 1 reviews