"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Crêpes for dinner?

This is a very traditional French recipe. Easy to make. What's good with crepes is that you can fill them with nearly anything you like.

For 25-30 crepes :
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup milk (instead add 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup water for a lighter result)
  • 3 eggs
  • a bit of salt
Alternative to cow's milk, : you can replace half of the total quantity by rice milk (or any other vegetable milk you like) and the other half by water.

In a bowl, pour sieved flour and add salt, then crack in eggs. Start beating and add milk/liquids little by little. Result must be very fluid. If not, add water tbsp after tbsp and beat in between until expected result obtained.

In a warm greased all around non-sticky saucepan, pour a ladle of the mix and spread it around the saucepan bottom by moving the saucepan in a circle. After about 2 minutes, with a long flat spatula, flip the crepe around for it to cook on its other side for another 2 minutes. Then slide the crepe on a plate. And start again untill you run out of crepe mix (don't forget to grease your saucepan before you pour the mix!). If the first crepe is a failure, try again (and again if necessary), you should improve each time you try again.

For the filling, feel free to add anything you like. It can be fried or scrambled egg(s) with ham and/or cheese. Or cooked vegetable. Or creamy mushrooms. Or just several cheeses you let melt just a moment in a folded in half crepe in a warm saucepan : any grated cheese, blue cheese, parmesan...

If you didn't use all of you mix, you can use what's left as a dessert. Just add 2-3 tbsp sugar before you cook any more crepe. Then fill them with any jam, melted chocolate or mapple syrup you like.

Enjoy !

Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome Clochette and Thank you for the recipe!

Love crepes and this sounds like a good one. It is especially nice to see the alternatives you have given.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome, Clochette.

A friend of mine has a "crepe night" every once in a while.

She makes savoury crepes with various cheeses, herbs, and meats like ham, prosciutto, bresaola, and other salumi/charcuterie. Then she makes sweet crepes for dessert with chocolates, fresh fruits, Nutella, and sugared butter.

My son makes crepes for us once in a while, so I'm going to show him your instructions.

By the way, do you know what that little wooden tool is called that spreads out the batter? Sort of looks like a parakeet perch.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Head Chef

Hi Clochette.
Welcome to DC

Josie
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Welcome to D.C.

Thank you for the crêpé récipe ..

I adore Crêpés Suzette ..
Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Clochette..

Ross
Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Clochette.

I love crepes and when I lived in Washington, DC many years ago there were several restaurants in the metro area called The Magic Pan. They were great and diners had no reason to not get any kind of crepe to satisfy them. I loved the place.

I keep a quantity of crepes in a container in the freezer so we can enjoy crepes at a moment's notice...if a craving hits.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't made crepes in too long! I even have a special carbon steel crepes pan that I ought to be using more often.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Master Chef

We used to make a two cheese crepe that was baked in the oven and served with a light tomato sauce, The cheeses were fontina or fontenella and motz. Along with a salad they were good for a quick meal. Thanks for reminding us about savory crepes and welcome to DC.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I have my own crépe recipe, used it for years, and it always works well. I don't use it too often because my main optique in our diet is that it should above all healthy within the parameters of our own dietary requirements as advised by the doc. Sounds boring, and I can tell you it darn well is sometimes. So crépes are a luxury for us, but, boy, do we enjoy them when I do them! It seems like all our Christmases have come at once!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Tags
dinner, eggs, recipe

Crêpes for dinner? This is a very traditional French recipe. Easy to make. What's good with crepes is that you can fill them with nearly anything you like. For 25-30 crepes : [LIST] [*]2 cups flour [*]1 cup milk (instead add 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup water for a lighter result) [*]3 eggs [*]a bit of salt [/LIST] Alternative to cow's milk, : you can replace half of the total quantity by rice milk (or any other vegetable milk you like) and the other half by water. In a bowl, pour sieved flour and add salt, then crack in eggs. Start beating and add milk/liquids little by little. Result must be very fluid. If not, add water tbsp after tbsp and beat in between until expected result obtained. In a warm greased all around non-sticky saucepan, pour a ladle of the mix and spread it around the saucepan bottom by moving the saucepan in a circle. After about 2 minutes, with a long flat spatula, flip the crepe around for it to cook on its other side for another 2 minutes. Then slide the crepe on a plate. And start again untill you run out of crepe mix (don't forget to grease your saucepan before you pour the mix!). If the first crepe is a failure, try again (and again if necessary), you should improve each time you try again. For the filling, feel free to add anything you like. It can be fried or scrambled egg(s) with ham and/or cheese. Or cooked vegetable. Or creamy mushrooms. Or just several cheeses you let melt just a moment in a folded in half crepe in a warm saucepan : any grated cheese, blue cheese, parmesan... If you didn't use all of you mix, you can use what's left as a dessert. Just add 2-3 tbsp sugar before you cook any more crepe. Then fill them with any jam, melted chocolate or mapple syrup you like. Enjoy :yum:! 3 stars 1 reviews