Creme Fraiche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do make it, all the time. I use the ratio of 2 cups heavy cream (preferably NOT ultrapasteurized) to 2 tablespoons buttermilk. in a GLASS jar. I cover the top with a piece of waxed paper held in place with a rubberband and let it sit in a warm place until the mixture clots. Depending upon the humidity and the temperature in your kitchen this can take anywhere from about 8 hours to 24 hours. Then I cover the jar with its lid and refrigerate. It keeps about 2 weeks in the fridge.

Yes, I've made my own, but it takes time. If you need it today, you're out of luck. Prep time is only about 5 minutes. Standing time is in the "hours" category.

Start with 8 ounces of sour cream and 1 cup of whipping cream (not ultra-pasteurized). Whisk the two ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand, at room temperature, for about 5 to 8 hours or until it thickens.

Once it's thickened, cover and chill in the refrigerator until serving time or up 48 hours. Stir before serving. This will yield about 2 cups.

I'm guessing you will have to look in health food stores, and/or gourmet shops. The whole Foods here in New York sells Ronnybrook, the same brand that I get at the Greenmarket. Perhaps they have a supplier where you are?

Back
Top Bottom