Crepes - thoughts please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My MILs recipe was the same, very basic, but she used that for every kind of crepe (palachinki in Slovak) including sweet. Her logic was you didn't need sugar since you would be slatheriing jam/jelly on it.

She used a blender and put 1 cup low-fat milk in there, then 3/4 cup flour, a teaspoon of sugar, and one large egg. Whip it all up in the blender and then pour, swirl, wait a miinute, flip and move to a plate. Himself and the kids would line up at the stove as I turned them out one by one, then head back to the table to spread whatever jelly/jam they liked, roll up, and maybe top with a little sour cream. So good!

Just curious. Why low fat milk when you are putting jams, jellies, sour cream on them? :angel:

Not for the calorie count but the richness of the milk product. For some reason she and my SIL say that the low fat milks the batter more pourable. Or else it was because my MIL had low-fat milk in her fridge. ;)

We love crepes here, too, and I make several types. Some for savory dishes and another for sweet presentations. The one thing I learned many, many years ago is that, once the crepe batter is whisked up, it should sit for about 15 minutes to allow the gluten to begin to do its thing. I can't remember where I learned this, but it does seem to make a difference in how nicely the crepes form.

One of our favorite dishes using crepes is Crepes Coquilles St. Jacques. Oh, so yummy!

I remember Julia making them and saying you can make a large stack and freezing them. Just separate them with wax paper. Grant you fresh is always better, but if you are having a party, why not? :angel:

I remember Julia making them and saying you can make a large stack and freezing them. Just separate them with wax paper. Grant you fresh is always better, but if you are having a party, why not? :angel:

I've been doing that for years mostly because one of my recipes makes far more crepes than we'd eat at one time. I do separate them with waxed paper but, once I do that, I place the stack in an aluminum pie pan (the disposable kind), put the whole lot into a freezer-weight plastic bag and seal tightly. They stay "fresh" for a long, long while. I just let them come to room temperature before using them in a recipe.

Back
Top Bottom