"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Some lovely crepe recipes, thanks guys

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Had lemon crepes for breakfast this morning topped with freezer strawberry jam on top. I wangled the recipe from the waitress. she said we would need 1/4 cup butter,1/2 cup cold water,1/4 cup milk,2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 3/4 cup flour,1 tab. sugar,1 tea lemon zest,1/4 tea. salt.Clarify the butter, making sure to skim off the surface foam. Spoon the clear butter into a measure cup discard the milky solids at the bottomof the pan.this will make 2 Tab. of clarified butter. In med bowl or blender jar combine the butter, water,milk,whole eggs,egg yolks, flour,sugar,zest,salt. mix or blend til smooth will make 15 or 20 crepes
kades

Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
Head Chef

Basic savory crepes made with eggs, milk, flour, salt. Then in bottom 1/4 of crepe wedge of fontina cheese, fold over in half, wedge of mozzarella on top of fontina, then fold in half again to where you have 1/4 of a circle, place in baking dish with a little of your favorite italian tomato sauce on bottom, cover with more t. sauce, bake for 20 minutes or so, sprinkle with more moz and/or parm, 10 more minutes in over to melt cheese and serve.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, i don't think quick my answer would exist very long...

but otherwise, yes i do! well, i mean mom did... hmm, as described in my first reply.

with a large spatula.

ok, this is disturbing.
Oh my word Bucky! Behave
Please tell me you didn't just say your mother does the tossing for you?!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

What was the question again? Oh yes, crepes.

I use 2 cups of flour, pinch of salt, 1 tsp of baking powder, one egg beaten. Whisk in half a cup of milk and as much cold water as needed to make a thin batter. I then stir in 2 tsps of melted butter. Spray a non stick pan with oil, heat on high. Pour in a ladle of batter and swirl to coat pan, flip when surface bubbles and fry a minute or 2 on the other side and do this till batter is used up.
We serve them with either cinnamon sugar or syrup. Sometimes I fill them with creamed spinach and roll them up, top with cheese and grill till cheese is golden and serve with salad as a main course.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Had lemon crepes for breakfast this morning topped with freezer strawberry jam on top. I wangled the recipe from the waitress. she said we would need 1/4 cup butter,1/2 cup cold water,1/4 cup milk,2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 3/4 cup flour,1 tab. sugar,1 tea lemon zest,1/4 tea. salt.Clarify the butter, making sure to skim off the surface foam. Spoon the clear butter into a measure cup discard the milky solids at the bottomof the pan.this will make 2 Tab. of clarified butter. In med bowl or blender jar combine the butter, water,milk,whole eggs,egg yolks, flour,sugar,zest,salt. mix or blend til smooth will make 15 or 20 crepes
kades
These sound delicious Kades, thank you
Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Basic savory crepes made with eggs, milk, flour, salt. Then in bottom 1/4 of crepe wedge of fontina cheese, fold over in half, wedge of mozzarella on top of fontina, then fold in half again to where you have 1/4 of a circle, place in baking dish with a little of your favorite italian tomato sauce on bottom, cover with more t. sauce, bake for 20 minutes or so, sprinkle with more moz and/or parm, 10 more minutes in over to melt cheese and serve.
Med, sounds great, thanks for sharing
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

The only thing that matters is to keep the batter very thin, as the crepes should be as thin as possible. I use 4 eggs, 2 1/2 cups of flour, and a lot of milk, so that the batter resembles something like very fluid honey. It could be 3 cups, but I've never measured it. I keep adding it until it reaches the right consistency. Sometimes, as the batter thickens, I continue to add some more milk. I use a non stick crepe pan. I only butter it in the beginning. I love using homemade sour cherry jam/preserves for filling.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Basic savory crepes made with eggs, milk, flour, salt...
My MILs recipe was the same, very basic, but she used that for every kind of crepe (palachinki in Slovak) including sweet. Her logic was you didn't need sugar since you would be slatheriing jam/jelly on it.

She used a blender and put 1 cup low-fat milk in there, then 3/4 cup flour, a teaspoon of sugar, and one large egg. Whip it all up in the blender and then pour, swirl, wait a miinute, flip and move to a plate. Himself and the kids would line up at the stove as I turned them out one by one, then head back to the table to spread whatever jelly/jam they liked, roll up, and maybe top with a little sour cream. So good!
Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabriana View Post
The only thing that matters is to keep the batter very thin, as the crepes should be as thin as possible. I use 4 eggs, 2 1/2 cups of flour, and a lot of milk, so that the batter resembles something like very fluid honey. It could be 3 cups, but I've never measured it. I keep adding it until it reaches the right consistency. Sometimes, as the batter thickens, I continue to add some more milk. I use a non stick crepe pan. I only butter it in the beginning. I love using homemade sour cherry jam/preserves for filling.
Thanks for sharing

Tags
None