"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Smile Crepes - thoughts please.

What's your favourite recipe for crepes?....Hubby prefers them to thick pancakes.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

4 oz plain flour
pinch of salt
200 ml of milk mixed with 75 ml water
2 oz melted butter.
Sieve flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the middle crack in your eggs and mix into the flour, add your water bit by bit mixing with a whisk till all the flour is amalgamated and the batter is a light creamy color and texture. Whisk in the melted butter.
The only skill needed is the amount of batter needed to coat the size of pan without them becoming thick.I use the same sized crepe pan and a ladle with a mark on it.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

my mom made the best crepes, what she called norwegian pancakes.

i think it was just a mix of flour, water, and salt to make a thin batter, then it's poured and turned in a hot, buttered, cast iron pan and returned to a high heat until set, then flipped and cooked a minute more.

the best part was filling them with butter and honey or butter and sugar, rolling, and eating them hot.

or maybe blackberry or strawberry jam.

i'll ask mom this weekend when i call her.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Good morning mate, give your mother my regards.My fav filling is golden syrup and lemon juice.
Do you toss ?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i don't think quick my answer would exist very long...

but otherwise, yes i do! well, i mean mom did... hmm, as described in my first reply.

with a large spatula.

ok, this is disturbing.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Favorite Crepes

My family makes a Czech crepe (Palacinky) which we fill with cottage cheese and jam. My all time favorite crepe is a chocolate dessert crepe. I was given the recipe a chef on a small island in Fiji. This a a good dessert for a dinner party or holiday. Everything can be made in advanced and assembled quickly.
You can find the photo on my site. I tried to insert the photo but I guess I am doing something wrong.

Bequa Lagoon Chocolate Crepes
Chef Laniana Lewaka

CREPES
  • 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons self rising flour
  • 4 Tablespoons coca powder
  • 3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 eggs
Chocolate Whipped Cream
  • 1 pint (16 ounces) heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate
Berry Topping
  • 2 cups mixed frozen berries (thawed)
  • sugar to taste.

Methods/steps
Crepes
  • Combine the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a medium mixing bowl add the wet ingredients and wisk. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry a little at a time. Wisk until smooth.
  • Brush a medium skillet with oil. Heat over medium heat. When pan is hot add the batter, 1/4 cup. Swirl in pan. Heat until browned, turn the crepe over and cook until crepe is firm.
  • Set aside to cool.
Whipped Cream
  • In a mixing bowl add the heavy cream, mix on high speed until it just starts to stiffen. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix until cream holds peaks. Shave the chocolate or pulse chocolate in a food processor until chocolate pieces are finely chopped. Gently add the chocolate to the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Berry Topping
  • Place berries in a blender or food processor. Blend until berriers pureed. Add sugar to taste.
Assemble
Lay crepe on a plate. Add 1/4 cup of whipped cream mixture to each crepe. Fold over. Top with berry topping. Add mint for garnish.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Here is the recipe I use for big family breakfast on Sunday mornings. We fill them with whatever is on hand usually some kind of jam. The kids really like them with Nutella. In order to keep up with demand, I generally have to keep two crepe pans going all the time.

Crepe, sweet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yield: ten to twelve 10-inch crepes

Ingredients:

2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus 2 or 3 teaspoons butter for coating the pan
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cognac, optional
1 dash nutmeg, optional
1 dash cinnamon, optional

Directions:

1. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl. Using a stick blender blend together for no more than 5 to 10 seconds. Batter should be smooth. Stir down and repeat if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours before using..

2. Heat 10 inch crepe pan over medium heat until just smoking. Butter pan. Evenly spread 2 ounces of batter evenly over the pan and cook 1 -2 minutes until edges are lacy / crispy. Turn with silicone spatula and continue cooking.

Transfer to warmer and repeat process remembering to butter pan each time.
-------------------

Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Once in a while I'll make them for dessert. Prepare the crepes and then serve with Salted Butter Caramel.

Salted Butter Caramel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1

Ingredients:

1/2 cup salted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/16 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

1. In a saucepan set over medium-low heat, melt the butter in the heavy cream. Immediately remove from the heat and set aside.

2. Place the sugar in a separate saucepan set over medium heat. Sprinkle the water over the sugar and allow it to dissolve over the heat without stirring. As the sugar begins to caramelize, occasionally shake and swirl the pan to evenly distribute the color.

3. When the caramel is a rich golden color, remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the hot cream and melted butter to the caramel. Take care to stand back during this process; the hot caramel will bubble up the sides of the pan.

4. Return the caramel to the lowest heat setting, whisking constantly. Cook and stir the salted butter caramel for 2 minutes over the low heat. Remove from the heat and season the sauce with the 1/16 teaspoon sea salt; stir until it is dissolved completely.

5. Crepes: Spoon 2-3 teaspoons of the caramel sauce in the center of a warm crepe and then fold it into quarters. Garnish with whipped cream.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Thank you all very much for your recipes.....Been feeling poorly with a cold/flu, but as soon as I feel better I shall make my sweetie his crepes!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

This is really great Thank you all Love Crepes can't wait to make some

Tags
None