"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,089
If I have a lot of extra yolks, Iím going to make creme brulee 100% of the time over cured egg yolks.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Doesn't it take a ridiculous amount of egg whites to make an Angel Food Cake? Seems I heard that somewhere as heaven knows I've never made one. This would maybe be a way of using the yolks, although it's for sure I'll never do either.
It does. I entered a bread-making contest several years ago and talked to the guy who won, with his challah bread. He had won before with his angel food cake (they do a different category from the State Fair competition every year) and always made challah with the egg yolks, so he was able to perfect it.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:25 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I know the egg yolk has its purpose in cooking ( custard texture , browning pastries and baked goods, thickening agent, emulsifier, ...) But would using as above (Grating the end product over food) really add much to the flavor ?

Just curios. Im not a big egg eater, so I wouldn't know.
In the '60s there was a bit of a fad for decorating buffet food with grated hard-boiled egg yoke. Perhaps someone has re-discovered that.

There seems to be a fashion for "retro" foods at the moment. I've noticed stuffed eggs (aka "devilled" eggs) are enjoying a revival. Haven't had one of those since the '60s, either.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:28 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If I have a lot of extra yolks, Iím going to make creme brulee 100% of the time over cured egg yolks.
Or ice cream (Yum!)
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In the '60s there was a bit of a fad for decorating buffet food with grated hard-boiled egg yoke. Perhaps someone has re-discovered that.

There seems to be a fashion for "retro" foods at the moment. I've noticed stuffed eggs (aka "devilled" eggs) are enjoying a revival. Haven't had one of those since the '60s, either.
Deviled eggs have never been retro anyplace I've lived, just a common offering at various gatherings of family and friends. My mother made them when I was a kid, and my wife makes them regularly now - most recently about a month ago. Except for a few years during my "wild 20's", I doubt that a year has gone by without having them at least once. They certainly aren't retro around here, more of a standard and almost expected item on the hors d'oeuvre table.

You can almost count on a plate of deviled eggs to the first thing to run out at most casual parties around here.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Deviled eggs have never been retro anyplace I've lived, just a common offering at various gatherings of family and friends. My mother made them when I was a kid, and my wife makes them regularly now - most recently about a month ago. Except for a few years during my "wild 20's", I doubt that a year has gone by without having them at least once. They certainly aren't retro around here, more of a standard and almost expected item on the hors d'oeuvre table.

You can almost count on a plate of deviled eggs to the first thing to run out at most casual parties around here.
Same here. It's not a successful gathering if there isn't some deviled eggs. I'll bet you can't find a good Southern woman who doesn't have at least one egg tray. I have four
Click image for larger version

Name:	0901181248.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	31299
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Deviled eggs have never been retro anyplace I've lived, just a common offering at various gatherings of family and friends. My mother made them when I was a kid, and my wife makes them regularly now - most recently about a month ago. Except for a few years during my "wild 20's", I doubt that a year has gone by without having them at least once. They certainly aren't retro around here, more of a standard and almost expected item on the hors d'oeuvre table.

You can almost count on a plate of deviled eggs to the first thing to run out at most casual parties around here.
I haven't seen one on a buffet in GB since I was a teenager (we thought they were SO sophisticated!!) but they've cropped up on Food Network a few times with American cooks and once recently in a UK woman's magazine but it was a cookery article about food for a 1960s themed party.

To (mis)quote Shirley Conran - "Life's too short to stuff eggs".
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 20,390
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I haven't seen one on a buffet in GB since I was a teenager (we thought they were SO sophisticated!!) but they've cropped up on Food Network a few times with American cooks and once recently in a UK woman's magazine but it was a cookery article about food for a 1960s themed party.

To (mis)quote Shirley Conran - "Life's too short to stuff eggs".
That made me want to make some devilled eggs.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,262
What a shame the Brits have abandoned Deviled Eggs for a party table. I don't understand that and I wonder why. As others have mentioned, I've never once seen a buffet table with leftover Deviled Eggs.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, egg yolks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.