Did my butter go bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
I've had some butter, real butter, sitting out at room temp for over a week. It's been covered/protected and it doesn't smell bad. Do you think it could be bad or soured? How would I know? Would it be ok to cook with?

I keep mine in a stainless steel butter dish in the pantry for much longer than 1 week. It never goes bad. Unless your house has seen above average temperatures, like over 90F, for an extended period of time, your butter should be fine. You can tell if it's rancid when it changes color and consistency, or you could just taste it.

If it tastes right and doesn't smell rancid, your butter should be just fine. What is the temperature in your house? In the wintertime, I keep butter out all the time. I can't do it in the summer since our house isn't air-conditioned. I'd have butter soup.

I keep the thermostat set at about 82 during the day and 75 at night. It really smells ok, and even looks ok, (although a little less frim :LOL:) but haven't tasted it yet.

Maybe I'll make some chocolate chip cookies with it...

Gosh I didn't know you could keep butter out like that. Mine is always in the fridge. Certainly does make it hard to spread if I don't take it out before I use it.

Is the butter salted or unsalted? Salted will last longer at room temp since the salt acts as a preservative. Unsalted can easily last a week in a covered dish at room temp, and salted can go longer. But, as everyone says, the real test is how does it look and smell. If it looks ok and smells ok, then it is more than likely fine.

Is the butter salted or unsalted? Salted will last longer at room temp since the salt acts as a preservative.

I never thought of that! Interesting info. Thanks!

It was unsalted, btw.

I hate when people put my butter in the fridge! It makes it impossible to spread. Grrr!

we had a crazy Egyptian cook who always kept the butter in the cabinet---and boy did he use it---never did get him used to the concept of "low fat cooking" just like he couldn't believe that we didn't want a mountain of sugar in the tea---he added it anyway--guess who was in charge---Mohammad!!!

Growing up, we always left it out on the counter except when the weather got real hot, as it tended to get rancid, But in an air-conditioned house, you'll be fine.
I keep it in the fridge now, as we don't use it every day. I can always nuke it a little if we want it to be spreadable.

Back
Top Bottom