Do Any of You Like Drinkable Yogurt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poutine: my statement was in regards to lactose in general -- not yogurt. I agree that the probiotics in yogurt are good for your digestive system. I supplement that bacteria in pill form. As for studies showing that yogurt helps with weight loss, consider this: a LACK of calcium inhibits weight loss. My point being that if you are getting enough calcium then I do not believe eating yogurt will help you lose weight.

The bottom line here, IMHO, is sugar. The less sugars you can consume = the less spikes in your blood sugar levels = less insulin release = less stored fat. Honestly, I think the dairy industry funds these studies that say eating their products will help you lose weight.

I agree with the sugar obviously from the way I have babbled on about it ;)
the natural sugars in yogurt (not all that garbage that is added with the flavourings) and the protein in yogurt help maintain an even energy level and the calcium in dairy products is great too - that being said I don't think any food group should be over done

I like getting as much of my nutrition naturally (not in pill form) as possible It is great that you are making sure that your systems stays bacterially balanced

every body is different and there are lots of different ways to get all the good stuff your body needs
:)

Speaking of Yogurt. I think I have told you guys a number of times how I love rhubarb, well, I found a STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE yogurt. The brand is called AE, made by Anderson Erickson. OMIGOSH. What a treat.:)

A favorite here. Dh is from Turkey. We'd never drink anything sweetly flavored. Those sweet smoothies are an American invention.

Plain yogurt with salt and water. It's called Ayran in Turkish.

I often use yogurt in savoury sauces and that is far from "Yuck" so I would certainly try that one velochic.

Rhubarb yog is delicious, but I love rhubarb anything....problem for me again is sugar content. *sigh* I save it for the fruit, which I do sometimes spoon into plain yogurt. I really could eat rhubarb every day though its season if I let myself.

Corey nothing yucky about salt in yogurt. I think it's a cultural thing. A lot of cultures don't like a lot of sugar loaded drinks.

I had also indicated in my response earlier that Indians make a yogurt drink that's savory. I add a tiny bit of sugar to it but most people I know don't. It's basically plain yogurt blended with salt, freshly roasted and powdered cumin and black pepper and some mint and even cilantro. It's all blended and served as a condiment to rich dishes like a biryani (it's an Indian version of a Spanish Paella).

We also make two types of soup using yogurt and they are totally savory and healthy and very good. Again good for our palates but perhaps not for the western palate. Kadhi which is basically a comfort food for most Indians is made with a ton of yogurt, some chick pea flour, water, spices and finished with a sizzle of fresh garlic, minced green chili's, fenugreek, cumin, brown mustard and curry leaves. Garnished with cilantro and it makes us warm on a cold midwestern wintery evening.

I enjoy them both, nothing exotic, just Dannon. Occasionally I'll throw a container in the blender with fruit and milk/soy milk to make a smoothie. Actually a must have right now as I'm on antibiotics and I have to maintain....

kefir

Here's the deal on kefir. It's a soured milk that is made with a culture that grows easily at room temperature, 60-75, not like yogurt which needs to be 100-110 to develop. It comes from Eastern Europe and Russia as well as probably other places. Its use was , as with other fermented dairy products, done because of lack of refrigeration. You can get a powder starter online but the authentic way is to have some kefir "grains" which are evidently what gets the fermenting going. You strain these out each time you make a batch and use it for a starter again.
I have some of that powder starter but I WANT some of the grains. One place on line said she gave them away to folks who wanted them, and that there was one place in North America, on line that sold it, but everytime I try to get on that site, it said it's not available.
I'm sure if I got to an ethnic food store from eastern Europe, I might find it, but I live out in the boonies. If anyone can put me in touch with someone who has some grains, or knows a source, please inform us.
Anyway, kefir is much easier to keep going than yogurt, and so delicious, just plain. I'm guessing because of the temperature of the culturing, it's not acidophilus that's the active bacteria.

corey, not sure why you consume sugar as a balance in your blood sugar.

yogurt has enough natural sugar as it is, especially with added fruit. i try to eliminate sugar and most carbs. from my diet.

i also have type 2 diabetes . everything i have read, says to cut way back on carbs unless they are complex one. body does turn them to sugar.

did doctor tell you to do this. my diabetes is managed by a case worker just for it alone. they tell me the same thing, to reduce intake.

babe:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom