"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I don't know if this is a "gourmet cheese" but recently someone introduced me to Raclette. It's a variety of swiss cheese that comes with it's own machine that melts the raclette really slowly and you scrape the melted cheese onto various veggies and dried meats. We eat it melted over toast and it is out of this world.

You should be able to find it at a well stocked cheese shop. Also my cheese lady introduced me to Cotswald last year. It looks and tastes a bit like cheddar cheese but has green onions and chives all through it. SO good. I make mac and cheese out of. The DH goes to our cheese shop specifically for their ginger and mango Stiltons. It's like cheescake without the crust!

Happy cheesing!

snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Trader Joe's has some very nice cheeses. Give me roquefort, French triple cream brie, great crackers like the Breton original, good sweet melon, Belgian white beer and am in my own little corner of heaven.

linicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
By "dead," I assume you mean pasteurized.

There is actually a great deal of unpasteurized cheese made and sold in the US.

The FDA's has 60-day aging requirement for imported raw-milk cheeses. Because of this, some foreign cheese producers are pasteurizing their milk so they can sell young cheese here.
I believe that aging requirement applies to both foreign and domestic cheeses.

Raw Milk Cheeses

The FDA allows the manufacture and interstate sale of raw milk cheeses that are aged for at least 60 days at a temperature not less than 35 degrees Fahrenheit. "However, recent research calls into question the effectiveness of 60-day aging as a means of pathogen reduction," says Sheehan.
The FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) is currently examining the safety of raw milk cheeses and plans to develop a risk profile for these cheeses. This information will help FDA risk managers make future decisions regarding the regulation of these products to protect public health.

source: Got Milk? Make Sure It's Pasteurized
Ravings of an Amateur Foodie
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Sous Chef
here's a good cheese site:
Churchmouse Cheeses. Finest local, British & Continental cheeses. Buy cheese online | churchmousecheeses.com

I'm not sure how many of these you can buy abroad because the US has tight regulations..but if you're ever over here
this is my favourite one:
Cooking with the Joneses
les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Mr. Greenjeans
Once a year I drive the 250 miles from Chicago to buy cheese from these folks...

Carr Valley Cheese Company, Inc., La Valle, Wisconsin

I usually buy $200 worth and then crave it for the last 4 months before my next trip ;-)
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Aaaah cheese! I must have been a mouse in a previous life, because I could live on cheese.
You might also be interested in reading some of the "experts" on cheese.

Clark Wolf has a wonderful new book out on American Farmstead cheeses.

Paula Lambert, of Mozzarella Company in Dallas, TX has two great books out on cheese: "The Cheeselovers Cookbook" and Guide, and "Cheese, Glorious Cheese."

and of course, there's Steven Jenkins' "The Cheese Primer," and Laura Werlin's several wonderful books on the subject.

My personal favorite is the cheese I'm eating at the time. However, there ARE preferences. My all-time single most favorite cheese is the St. Marcellin (a raw, soft cows' milk cheese from France) made and aged by Renee Richard, the famed affineur in Lyon. I realize that is pretty specific, but....

I also love Comte (the French version of Gruyere), and pretty much any really good "Swiss" cheese; Roquefort, Point Reyes Blue, Reblochon, Aged Cheddar, Paula Lambert's goat cheese wrapped in Hoja Santa leaves, Fontina Val d'Aosta, Parmigiano Reggiano, Grana Padano, well, there really are too many to list!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Master Chef
stop ur killin' me!! death by cheese what a way to go!!
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
Executive Chef
I drive an hour into Phily's Italian Market for the really fine cheeses and charcuterie. DIBruno Brothers is the place! OMG heaven!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #19
Master Chef
we are going on a road trip and i am taking cheese, meats (baby salami and pepperoni), crackers, and fruits with us for a road side stop and for the hotel room the first day/night and maybe beakfast. i am also taking cold cuts, tomato, lettuce, french bread and my homemade dressing along for heros. seeds (sunflower), nuts, fruit newtons and goldfish (the crackers ) for snacks.
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
Do they carry any fresh mozzarella made from Buffalo's milk? MAN - if you ever get to travel to central/southern Italy you've got to try it, it is by far my favorite EVER. It really puts any other kind of mozzarella to shame.

Mangia, mangia, mangia!
tasty-italian-cook is offline   Reply With Quote