Double yolk eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sedagive

Senior Cook
I remember when I was a kid, my mom used to find double yolk eggs mixed in with the regular eggs pretty often. I haven't seen one in probably 30 years. I've heard there are places that sell them but I've never been able to find out where they are. Does anyone know of any companies that sell just double yolkers?

I see double yolk eggs more often when I buy jumbo eggs than any other size. Usually, it's an 'exciting surprise' but you don't actually get all that much more yolk. It looks the same to me, just split in two. I liken it to the fact that twins are usually smaller in one pregnant woman than one baby would be. Consider there's only so much room in that egg shell....

If you buy jumbo eggs consistently, I bet you'd find one, sooner or later.

Me too, VeraB.
And what fun and good memories when I do.
I wish I could wrap it in plastic and bring it to dad for him to cook his special Sunday breakfast feast.
But just fond memories.

Thanks. This is the last thing that made me smile - add to thread.

Aren't the little things in life GREAT??!!??!?​

When I lived in Massachusetts (late 80's) I remember seeing double yolk eggs sold in their own cartons at the local supermarket.

When I lived in Massachusetts (late 80's) I remember seeing double yolk eggs sold in their own cartons at the local supermarket.

That's amazing. I've lived here forever and never saw that. I haven't seen a DY egg for at least 30 years. I guess I should buy jumbos if I want to see one.

I haven't seen one in quite a while either, storebought or otherwise.

Look for them in a Farmer's Market. They are available

from some of the smaller farmers. I can buy them by the dozen. I never see them in the grocery stores.

I get doub;es quite often w/ Jumbo eggs. For awhile there was at least 1 per carton. But then I stopped buying jumbos for some reason.... I think maybe they are too big to bake cookies with? That's gotta be it.

When we had an egg farm, back in the mid 80s, younger hens tended to produce double yolkers....

I've probably gotten 2 double yolkers from the grocery store since then.

We have a poultry farm in Hawthorne NJ - They sell them by the dozzen, at least they dis last time I was there about a year ago. Great chicken and turkey too.

AC

That's amazing. I've lived here forever and never saw that. I haven't seen a DY egg for at least 30 years. I guess I should buy jumbos if I want to see one.

Thinking about it, I remember that I went to school with a guy whose family had an egg farm. Perhaps the double yolk eggs were just available in my town (Bedford) because of the local egg farm.

I think commercially I haven't seen them in anything other than jumbos (which I have been boycotting since egg prices went through the roof). But my folks used to get medium and large eggs locally for our restaurant (UP Michigan), and we saw them fairly often. Maybe it does have more to do with the age of the hens?

is it just me or are eggs getting smaller. i buy extra large and they are the size of what a large used to be. i pretty much use them only, never seen a double except in my daughters house. she keeps chickens. babe

Back
Top Bottom