Double yolk eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been buying 'free range' eggs and have come acrossed double yolks on several occasions. It makes me think that the dish I'm about to prepare will be extra spectacular!

You probably don't see double-yolkers in regular AA/AAA-Large eggs because they weigh too much. Due to the weight - they go into the Jumbo box.

Young hens whose production cycle is not yet well synchronized often lay double yolk eggs. It happens when ovulation occurs too rapidly.

Some heavy breeds of chickens will lay double yolks as an inherited trait. I had some Production Reds a few years back that would lay double yolks fairly often.

We have a lot of predators here in this part of Texas so sadly my hen turnover rate is fairly hi and they are all gone.

We get double yolked egg in local market but the taste of the double yolked eggs are not as good as normal eggs.

Now that's something I haven't heard before! I've had double-yolkers from time to time, but never noticed a difference in taste - but that could because I simply wasn't paying attention :). Do you know why this is?

Now that's something I haven't heard before! I've had double-yolkers from time to time, but never noticed a difference in taste - but that could because I simply wasn't paying attention :). Do you know why this is?

I have never noticed any difference in the taste either but I suppose if you’re not terribly fond of the yolks I can see how two in one egg would put you off.

Double Yolk Free Range chickens

We purchase large eggs from our neighbors who let their chickens roam in their fenced yard.

Several times we had souble yolk. Prefer single.

I see double yolk eggs more often when I buy jumbo eggs than any other size. Usually, it's an 'exciting surprise' but you don't actually get all that much more yolk. It looks the same to me, just split in two. I liken it to the fact that twins are usually smaller in one pregnant woman than one baby would be. Consider there's only so much room in that egg shell....

If you buy jumbo eggs consistently, I bet you'd find one, sooner or later.
^^
This.

The first time I ever got one, it just kinda weirded me out so I threw it in the sink. The next two I cracked were double yolks. I gave up on disliking them after that =P

I buy only Jumbo eggs but I buy two different kinds. I buy farmed eggs that are brown for eating fried, scrambled or poached because the yolks are very deep yellow and intensely flavored. I also buy jumbos from the supermarket for hard boiling and for adding the extra white to my fried or scrambled egg. The last 3 cartons of eggs I bought from the supermarket were ALL double yolks. Every single egg was a double. I haven't seen this happen since I was a kid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom