"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
Master Chef

Land's and Byerly's here are selling Jumbo eggs, I'd be surprised if I did not get at least one egg with double yolk.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Has anyone noticed if they buy jumbo eggs that the shells are also much thinner? I ran out of eggs once and had to buy a 6-pak from the local grocery store. I gave it a little tap like I always did the jumbos and it didn't even crack. I though I'd have to pound that egg with a hammer to get it open.

Naturally, when I went back to jumbos, I forgot and smacked the egg against the side of the bowl. The shell disintegrated and I had egg all over the place. Gave new meaning to the phrase "egg on my face".

Triple yolks, wow! I never even knew you could get triple yolks, although it makes sense when you think about it.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Has anyone noticed if they buy jumbo eggs that the shells are also much thinner? I ran out of eggs once and had to buy a 6-pak from the local grocery store. I gave it a little tap like I always did the jumbos and it didn't even crack. I though I'd have to pound that egg with a hammer to get it open.

Naturally, when I went back to jumbos, I forgot and smacked the egg against the side of the bowl. The shell disintegrated and I had egg all over the place. Gave new meaning to the phrase "egg on my face".

Triple yolks, wow! I never even knew you could get triple yolks, although it makes sense when you think about it.
Now quintuplet yolks, that would be impressive.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't buy jumbo eggs, but I have noticed that the backyard hen eggs I started buying have much tougher shells than the grocery-store large eggs I used to buy. I imagine it has something to do with the feed.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
me too!
me three!
Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't buy jumbo eggs, but I have noticed that the backyard hen eggs I started buying have much tougher shells than the grocery-store large eggs I used to buy. I imagine it has something to do with the feed.
I noticed when I had Plymouth Rocks, their shells were thicker than my other hens' shells. Their eggs were also more in the medium-sized range. Interesting, the amount of shell is the same no matter the size of egg. The smaller the egg, the thicker the shell. I think it has something to do with the breed as well. I have a heck of a time cracking "store" eggs. The shells don't crack as nicely and they sometimes shatter. My gals lay jumbo-jumbo eggs. It is rare for me to get an egg that weighs under 60 g. Most weigh about 75-80 g. but I've had eggs that weighed 113-126 g. from my Rhode Island Reds.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #17
Head Chef

Yes, in general certain breeds lay different size eggs. Older hens will lay bigger eggs. Hens that lay double yolks usually have a shorter laying life as they only have a finite number of ova.

Yolk colour is based on diet, but does not change the nutrition of the egg.

Brown eggs are really white eggs that get a colour coat shortly after the shell is formed. Check the inside of the shell - it's white.
Yet blue egg shells are blue all the way thru. So there is really only two colours of egg. White and blue (I'm talking chickens here folks - not Emu's, etc.). ta ta!
Old 08-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Leghorns tend to lay white shell eggs. Rhode Island Reds lay brown shell eggs. Brown shells are much thicker than white. The deeper the color, the thicker the shell. We raised only RI Reds. The color can also be affected by the weather and temperature outside. The ears on the hen can be a telltale sign also. Some hens lay speckled dark brown eggs.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I noticed when I had Plymouth Rocks, their shells were thicker than my other hens' shells. Their eggs were also more in the medium-sized range. Interesting, the amount of shell is the same no matter the size of egg. The smaller the egg, the thicker the shell. I think it has something to do with the breed as well. I have a heck of a time cracking "store" eggs. The shells don't crack as nicely and they sometimes shatter. My gals lay jumbo-jumbo eggs. It is rare for me to get an egg that weighs under 60 g. Most weigh about 75-80 g. but I've had eggs that weighed 113-126 g. from my Rhode Island Reds.
How are the girls doing? Came across the following and thought you might enjoy it.

https://hencam.com/henblog/

Like yours, fun and interesting.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There was a corner store in my neighborhood that guaranteed double yolks in every egg. And he never got word that one egg had only one yolk. To bad, he died and the family closed the store.
We have an egg farm a few miles from our house that sells double yolk eggs. Guaranteed.
They sell single yolk too.
A flat of extra large, 18 count, single yolk is $2.00
I don't buy double yolk, so I'm not sure what they cost.

But its easy to see how they can guarantee a double yolk.

Tags
other