"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I don't like milk ! I was forced to drink it as a kid and never liked it.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sure that the majority of our members had a glass of milk with their meal...
HAD being the operative word here. I haven't has a glass of milk with a meal since I was in my teens. Just to make it clear, I never had pop with a meal, either. The only exception was the rare occasion when we got carry-out pizza. The norm for me by the time I was a teen was water or tea with dinner. Still don't drink pop, except for the rare Coke or root beer as a float on a hot day - and the ice cream provides the "milk" part.

Our current use of milk is dependent on what I'm making or the season. During warm weather, Himself likes cereal to start his day, or a glass of milk later in the evening. During cooler weather I'll use it for cooking such things as mac-and-cheese or a cream-based soup. That being said, we probably take 10-ish days to finish a gallon during the winter, inside a week during the summer.

I think the big push in the past to consume milk regularly was to encourage people to get enough calcium. These days, with many people using various dairy foods more regularly (think yogurt, a wider variety of cheeses, options to cream cheese, etc), the need to drink milk to get calcium is lessened. Then you have added calcium to things like orange juice, if you so chose.

I must be doing something right, too, since my bone density test checks out fine.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
Master Chef

We don't have milk with a meal but use it for cooking and on cereal. DH and Son will have bowls of cereal with milk for snacks or a meal if I'm gone and there's no leftovers to reheat. I have a glass at bedtime with my evening pills since one needs to be taken with food. I have the milk and sometimes some cheese or a slice of bread with peanut butter with my meds. We use a little over a gallon a week. I tend to have 2 gallons in the fridge most of the time so we don't run out.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
I am sure that the majority of our members had a glass of milk with their meal. And milk in their cereal. So my questions are:

Do you still or occasionally drink milk with your meal?

Do you have occasionally dry cereal with milk?

Is milk a regular item when you go shopping?

How much milk do you go through in a week?

In my home, I can go through at least two gallons a week.

Yes I drink milk with my lunch

Yes I eat cereal with milk all the time

Yes I buy it regularly

It's only me so a quart lasts a week

It also goes in coffee

And I buy ORGANIC because it tastes better
Old 03-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

I stopped buying cow's milk a couple of years ago because of the carbs.

I use unsweetened almond milk to make a glass of chocolate milk or cup of cocoa every now and then.

I use heavy cream diluted with water for cooking.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I think the big push in the past to consume milk regularly was to encourage people to get enough calcium. These days, with many people using various dairy foods more regularly (think yogurt, a wider variety of cheeses, options to cream cheese, etc), the need to drink milk to get calcium is lessened. Then you have added calcium to things like orange juice, if you so chose.
That's part of it. Another major reason for the push to drink milk is the addition of Vitamin D after WWII. The primary reason for prospective American soldiers being rejected for service in WWII was that they didn't have enough teeth, due to Vitamin D deficiency. Calcium is more easily absorbed by the body when it's consumed with Vitamin D.

We hosted an exchange student from Slovakia in the late '90s. He told us that rickets (which weakens bone structure, including jaw bones) was still a problem in the countries of the former Soviet Union due to Vitamin D deficiency. It was all but eliminated in the US till consumption of soda/pop eclipsed consumption of milk some years ago. Incidence of rickets has since started to increase.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I've always loved ice cold milk (low fat) and I'd drink it with every meal if I could afford the carbs. Makes no sense to me that cream has zero carbs.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
I am sure that the majority of our members had a glass of milk with their meal. And milk in their cereal. So my questions are:

Do you still or occasionally drink milk with your meal?

Do you have occasionally dry cereal with milk?

Is milk a regular item when you go shopping?

How much milk do you go through in a week?

In my home, I can go through at least two gallons a week.
I don't drink a lot of milk. I do like it, but just don't think about it enough.

I do find that milk is good for swallowing big pills. I have a gag-reflex problem with big pills, and for some reason, milk makes it easier.

As I mentioned in another thread, somewhat to my regret, I buy organic 2-percent milk, mainly because it has a really long shelf life. I bought some a few days ago that has a use-by date of May 19. I'll finish it before then, but it will be well into April. I need that long shelf life.

I do like Multi-Grain Cheerios, but they have a lot of sugar to offset that extra fiber. So, that is something I only eat from time-to-time.

CD
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #19
Senior Cook

No milk here --- lactose intolerant since I was 3 years old. Sometimes I use almond or rice milk, but not too often.
ShellyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #20
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, somewhat to my regret, I buy organic 2-percent milk, mainly because it has a really long shelf life. I bought some a few days ago that has a use-by date of May 19. I'll finish it before then, but it will be well into April. I need that long shelf life.
I have no opinion one way or the other on organic milk, and I certainly won't knock you for liking it. You may already know this, but I just want to point out for those who don't that the reason it has a long shelf life has nothing to do with the fact that it's organic. It's because it's ultra-pasteurized. You'll find most organic milk and cream is treated that way.

The reason for doing so is because organic dairy products typically don't sell as quickly as the conventional versions (presumably due to somewhat higher pricing) and so they ultra-pasteurize it so they can keep it on the store shelves longer.

I only know this because I ask a lot of stupid questions when I shop.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drink, milk