Drinking milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love milk and always have, as far back as I can remember. I usually have a big glass in the morning, not so much if I'm having it with cereal. I go through about a gallon a week, depending on how often my grandson is here with me after school. He loves it, too. I buy 1% for drinking, and half and half for my coffee.

I have no opinion one way or the other on organic milk, and I certainly won't knock you for liking it. You may already know this, but I just want to point out for those who don't that the reason it has a long shelf life has nothing to do with the fact that it's organic. It's because it's ultra-pasteurized. You'll find most organic milk and cream is treated that way.

The reason for doing so is because organic dairy products typically don't sell as quickly as the conventional versions (presumably due to somewhat higher pricing) and so they ultra-pasteurize it so they can keep it on the store shelves longer.

I only know this because I ask a lot of stupid questions when I shop. :)

I don't honestly care what the reason is. I just like it, and it lasts a long time. Well, if the reason it lasts a long time was a list of chemicals with names I can't pronounce, I might be a bit apprehensive. But, as it is, it works for me.

CD

It is common to drink milk with meals here and I do have about 6 liters of lactosfree milk and 1 liter old fashion milk and that goes in a week.

I use milk mostely for tea and my husband for cereal but yes we do drink milk to our meals, otherwise it water. We drink even less sodapop.

I tend to binge drink milk. We won't have it for a while, then a gallon will show up. I like 2 percent in a big glass of ice. Weird but true.

I can down a gallon at a time if I'm not thinking about it.

I have no opinion one way or the other on organic milk, and I certainly won't knock you for liking it. You may already know this, but I just want to point out for those who don't that the reason it has a long shelf life has nothing to do with the fact that it's organic. It's because it's ultra-pasteurized. You'll find most organic milk and cream is treated that way.

The reason for doing so is because organic dairy products typically don't sell as quickly as the conventional versions (presumably due to somewhat higher pricing) and so they ultra-pasteurize it so they can keep it on the store shelves longer.

I only know this because I ask a lot of stupid questions when I shop. :)
According to the attached Scientific American article regarding organic milk and UHT processing:

"According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country."

"UHT-treated milk tastes different. UHT sweetens the flavor of milk by burning some of its sugars (caramelization)."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-organic-milk-lasts-longer/

According to the attached Scientific American article regarding organic milk and UHT processing:

"According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country."
Interesting. That may be true in other parts of the country, but we can get both pasteurized and ultra-pasteurized where I live. Most of it comes from a source in Wisconsin that's only about 2 hours away.

I'm not a milk drinker, but I go through about a quart of cream every week. Interestingly, the Whole Foods next to my work near Minneapolis sells both versions of the same brand (Organic Valley) side-by-side and for the exact same price, which I find a little weird.

What prompted my question was because I happened to notice that the small grocery store in the town where I live only sells ultra-pasteurized versions of the same exact brand and, personally, I don't like UHT cream. So I asked the store manager why is it that they only sell UHT while the Whole Foods also sells conventional pasteurized. His answer, and I paraphrase: "I'm sure they sell a lot more organic dairy than we do. Not many people around here buy it so it sits on the shelf longer."

"UHT-treated milk tastes different. UHT sweetens the flavor of milk by burning some of its sugars (caramelization)."
This is exactly the reason I don't like or buy UHT cream when I can avoid it. To me, a guy who grew up in Wisconsin dairy country, it doesn't taste right. I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as sweeter, but it has kind of an "off" flavor that I just don't care for.

Last edited:
I am on the Carb train too. but I love milk and would drink more if not for the Carbs. My wife though, goes through about 2 gallons per week in her kefir.

If my meal is a peanut butter sandwich on white bread, or chocolate cake then I will drink milk. I also like a cold glass on it's own. I am rarely home during the day any more so any milk we buy usually gets poured down the drain after it goes bad...

Interesting. That may be true in other parts of the country, but we can get both pasteurized and ultra-pasteurized where I live. Most of it comes from a source in Wisconsin that's only about 2 hours away.

I'm not a milk drinker, but I go through about a quart of cream every week. Interestingly, the Whole Foods next to my work near Minneapolis sells both versions of the same brand (Organic Valley) side-by-side and for the exact same price, which I find a little weird.

What prompted my question was because I happened to notice that the small grocery store in the town where I live only sells ultra-pasteurized versions of the same exact brand and, personally, I don't like UHT cream. So I asked the store manager why is it that they only sell UHT while the Whole Foods also sells conventional pasteurized. His answer, and I paraphrase: "I'm sure they sell a lot more organic dairy than we do. Not many people around here buy it so it sits on the shelf longer."

This is exactly the reason I don't like or buy UHT cream when I can avoid it. To me, a guy who grew up in Wisconsin dairy country, it doesn't taste right. I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as sweeter, but it has kind of an "off" flavor that I just don't care for.

Steve, I bought a quart today of half and half and all it said on the carton was "pasteurized." Not Ultra. Great. More flavor. I will die wishing I could taste again the pure milk right after it comes from the cow. When I used to work the Western Washington Fair, in the morning I would scoop some fresh, still steaming cream right from the large vat. I also had some of the milk for lunch. They have a machine for pasteurization. They would do just enough each day to send over to the Ice Cream Parlor. They made the ice cream fresh. If you went there before ten a.m. you had to wait for it to be finished.

I always loved milk and drank a lot of it until I developed a lactose intolerance in my mid 20's. Now I keep a half gallon of lactose free milk on hand, but rarely use the entire carton before it goes bad. I need it when I make mashed potatoes for my father-in-law, and for various sauces. I almost never drink it even though the lactose free stuff seems to agree with my GI tract.

I like milk with a sandwich but for dinner drink water, beer, or wine. We go through about a gallon a week. Some nights, when I feel pecish, I'll have peanut butter, crackers and a glass of milk before bed. I bought some Horlick's but haven't tried it.

I don't drink milk but I use cream in my coffee. I eat cheese, I take vit D, I take calcium pills, I eat broccoli. DH drinks 8 oz of kefir made with milk, every day. The only time I enjoy milk is in an oyster stew or a cream/milk based soup or sauce.

I always loved milk and drank a lot of it until I developed a lactose intolerance in my mid 20's. Now I keep a half gallon of lactose free milk on hand, but rarely use the entire carton before it goes bad. I need it when I make mashed potatoes for my father-in-law, and for various sauces. I almost never drink it even though the lactose free stuff seems to agree with my GI tract.

You can freeze it, Rick. 1 cup portions.

Ooo, Steve, Organic Valley has the most delicious Egg Nog! I bought a couple of quarts over the Christmas holidays. Pricey, and worth every penny (and calorie).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-organic-milk-lasts-longer/
Hmm, I wonder if "Fairlife" milk is UHT-treated. When we were in FL last November I bought a short-half-gallon (59 oz) of Fairlife figuring we'd try it during the week. It was an effort to finish it since I had a sweet-odd taste to both of us. Now we know to never buy it again...

Never had milk with meal. Never. The idea is so unattractive to me I cannot even imagine to have a glass of milk at dinner time.

On the other hand, after dinner, closer to going to bed. A tall, really tall, glass of milk, more like 12 ounces cup, with some good dark chocolate, yum. As the matter of fact, I can't even go to sleep if I don't have that night time milk. Love, absolutely love milk with chocolate. Once for the bet I drank a gallon of milk with a box of chocolates. Ok, I wass yong and stupid, but I won 25 rubles a huge sum of money in those days.

I am sure that the majority of our members had a glass of milk with their meal. And milk in their cereal. So my questions are:

Do you still or occasionally drink milk with your meal?

Do you have occasionally dry cereal with milk?

Is milk a regular item when you go shopping?

How much milk do you go through in a week?

In my home, I can go through at least two gallons a week.
Crumbs - two GALLONS a week! I've recently upped my milk order from 2 to 3 pints a week because I'm filling the freezer with home made "ready" meals and have also rediscovered a passion for baked rice pudding. I still end up with a glut some weeks.

Milk tastes vile. I never drink milk on its own, don't have milk in coffee and only a small splash in tea. I do use it on breakfast cereal occasionally and "pour-on"sauces such as bechamel and custard and things like mac cheese but that's about it apart from eating yoghourt and the occasional bedtime cocoa if I'm having an attack of insomnia

Having said that I have very strong bones and all my own teeth. Mother never forced it on me as a child although she did sneak it into things she cooked and once tried flavoured syrups in a glass of milk - bleuch!

Last edited:
My mom is lactose intolerant. There is always a carton of that in the fridge. I detest it, it has a horrible "aftertaste" IMO. However, I love Land-o-Lakes whole milk. I will drink about a quart of that a week. In Canada, I only drink almond or hemp milk. I cannot stand Canadian milk. Whatever diary cows are fed in Ontario produces milk that has a funny taste (to my taste buds). The only way I can drink milk in Ontario is with ice cubes and a bit of vanilla extract. I prefer unsweetened almond or hemp milk. For cooking, I have to use my mom's milk.

My mom is lactose intolerant. There is always a carton of that in the fridge. I detest it, it has a horrible "aftertaste" IMO. However, I love Land-o-Lakes whole milk. I will drink about a quart of that a week. In Canada, I only drink almond or hemp milk. I cannot stand Canadian milk. Whatever diary cows are fed in Ontario produces milk that has a funny taste (to my taste buds). The only way I can drink milk in Ontario is with ice cubes and a bit of vanilla extract. I prefer unsweetened almond or hemp milk. For cooking, I have to use my mom's milk.

Um, you might want to rephrase that. :ohmy:

CD:D

Back
Top Bottom