"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 12:58 AM   #21
Master Chef

I love milk and always have, as far back as I can remember. I usually have a big glass in the morning, not so much if I'm having it with cereal. I go through about a gallon a week, depending on how often my grandson is here with me after school. He loves it, too. I buy 1% for drinking, and half and half for my coffee.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have no opinion one way or the other on organic milk, and I certainly won't knock you for liking it. You may already know this, but I just want to point out for those who don't that the reason it has a long shelf life has nothing to do with the fact that it's organic. It's because it's ultra-pasteurized. You'll find most organic milk and cream is treated that way.

The reason for doing so is because organic dairy products typically don't sell as quickly as the conventional versions (presumably due to somewhat higher pricing) and so they ultra-pasteurize it so they can keep it on the store shelves longer.

I only know this because I ask a lot of stupid questions when I shop.
I don't honestly care what the reason is. I just like it, and it lasts a long time. Well, if the reason it lasts a long time was a list of chemicals with names I can't pronounce, I might be a bit apprehensive. But, as it is, it works for me.

CD

Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 AM   #23
Head Chef

It is common to drink milk with meals here and I do have about 6 liters of lactosfree milk and 1 liter old fashion milk and that goes in a week.

I use milk mostely for tea and my husband for cereal but yes we do drink milk to our meals, otherwise it water. We drink even less sodapop.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 AM   #24
Senior Cook

I tend to binge drink milk. We won't have it for a while, then a gallon will show up. I like 2 percent in a big glass of ice. Weird but true.

I can down a gallon at a time if I'm not thinking about it.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
I have no opinion one way or the other on organic milk, and I certainly won't knock you for liking it. You may already know this, but I just want to point out for those who don't that the reason it has a long shelf life has nothing to do with the fact that it's organic. It's because it's ultra-pasteurized. You'll find most organic milk and cream is treated that way.

The reason for doing so is because organic dairy products typically don't sell as quickly as the conventional versions (presumably due to somewhat higher pricing) and so they ultra-pasteurize it so they can keep it on the store shelves longer.

I only know this because I ask a lot of stupid questions when I shop.
According to the attached Scientific American article regarding organic milk and UHT processing:

"According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country."

"UHT-treated milk tastes different. UHT sweetens the flavor of milk by burning some of its sugars (caramelization)."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-lasts-longer/
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #26
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
According to the attached Scientific American article regarding organic milk and UHT processing:

"According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country."
Interesting. That may be true in other parts of the country, but we can get both pasteurized and ultra-pasteurized where I live. Most of it comes from a source in Wisconsin that's only about 2 hours away.

I'm not a milk drinker, but I go through about a quart of cream every week. Interestingly, the Whole Foods next to my work near Minneapolis sells both versions of the same brand (Organic Valley) side-by-side and for the exact same price, which I find a little weird.

What prompted my question was because I happened to notice that the small grocery store in the town where I live only sells ultra-pasteurized versions of the same exact brand and, personally, I don't like UHT cream. So I asked the store manager why is it that they only sell UHT while the Whole Foods also sells conventional pasteurized. His answer, and I paraphrase: "I'm sure they sell a lot more organic dairy than we do. Not many people around here buy it so it sits on the shelf longer."

Quote:
"UHT-treated milk tastes different. UHT sweetens the flavor of milk by burning some of its sugars (caramelization)."
This is exactly the reason I don't like or buy UHT cream when I can avoid it. To me, a guy who grew up in Wisconsin dairy country, it doesn't taste right. I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as sweeter, but it has kind of an "off" flavor that I just don't care for.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #27
Sous Chef

I am on the Carb train too. but I love milk and would drink more if not for the Carbs. My wife though, goes through about 2 gallons per week in her kefir.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #28
Master Chef

If my meal is a peanut butter sandwich on white bread, or chocolate cake then I will drink milk. I also like a cold glass on it's own. I am rarely home during the day any more so any milk we buy usually gets poured down the drain after it goes bad...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Interesting. That may be true in other parts of the country, but we can get both pasteurized and ultra-pasteurized where I live. Most of it comes from a source in Wisconsin that's only about 2 hours away.

I'm not a milk drinker, but I go through about a quart of cream every week. Interestingly, the Whole Foods next to my work near Minneapolis sells both versions of the same brand (Organic Valley) side-by-side and for the exact same price, which I find a little weird.

What prompted my question was because I happened to notice that the small grocery store in the town where I live only sells ultra-pasteurized versions of the same exact brand and, personally, I don't like UHT cream. So I asked the store manager why is it that they only sell UHT while the Whole Foods also sells conventional pasteurized. His answer, and I paraphrase: "I'm sure they sell a lot more organic dairy than we do. Not many people around here buy it so it sits on the shelf longer."

This is exactly the reason I don't like or buy UHT cream when I can avoid it. To me, a guy who grew up in Wisconsin dairy country, it doesn't taste right. I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as sweeter, but it has kind of an "off" flavor that I just don't care for.
Steve, I bought a quart today of half and half and all it said on the carton was "pasteurized." Not Ultra. Great. More flavor. I will die wishing I could taste again the pure milk right after it comes from the cow. When I used to work the Western Washington Fair, in the morning I would scoop some fresh, still steaming cream right from the large vat. I also had some of the milk for lunch. They have a machine for pasteurization. They would do just enough each day to send over to the Ice Cream Parlor. They made the ice cream fresh. If you went there before ten a.m. you had to wait for it to be finished.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I always loved milk and drank a lot of it until I developed a lactose intolerance in my mid 20's. Now I keep a half gallon of lactose free milk on hand, but rarely use the entire carton before it goes bad. I need it when I make mashed potatoes for my father-in-law, and for various sauces. I almost never drink it even though the lactose free stuff seems to agree with my GI tract.

Tags
drink, milk