"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Head Chef

You could go traditional. No worries about the eggs spoiling before use them up.

Century egg, also known as preserved egg, hundred-year egg, thousand-year egg, thousand-year-old egg, and millennium egg (or Pidan in Mandarin), is a Chinese cuisine ingredient made by preserving duck, chicken or quail eggs in a mixture of clay, ash, salt, lime, and rice hulls for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing. Through the process, the yolk becomes a dark green and creamy with an odor of sulphur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, transparent jelly with little flavor.[citation needed] The transforming agent in the century egg is its alkaline material, which gradually raises the pH of the egg to around 9, 12, or more during the curing process.[1] This chemical process breaks down some of the complex, flavorless proteins and fats, which produces a variety of smaller flavorful compounds.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess they are right then when they say that duck eggs will make a cake batter fluffier.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
When would you like to pick them up?

If only.. if only...
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Head Chef

Bigjim, I have heard of those eggs, totally gross in my opinion but if you would like some I could stick them in snail mail. They should be good and ripe by the time they get to you.

Pecanis, I have never heard that about duck eggs before but after today I am inclined to believe it.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Bigjim, I have heard of those eggs, totally gross in my opinion but if you would like some I could stick them in snail mail. They should be good and ripe by the time they get to you.

Pecanis, I have never heard that about duck eggs before but after today I am inclined to believe it.
I've seen them once in a Chinese market. They looked exactly like I imagined they would. Passed on purchasing a few to slice up over salad.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Okay folks, I just made a cake from a mix, using the duck eggs. I baked it off in a pan that makes 8 small loaves. I used two duck eggs instead of three chicken eggs. Well, the loaves came out looking a little like hot air balloons. I mean they crowned like there is no tomorrow. I guess I will just cut off the crown to flatten them out and then frost them. The cakes are a little birthday surprise for someone at work so I would like them to look nice although now that I think about it we might get a good laugh about those silly cakes. Hummm...maybe I'll just leave them as they are.
If they did that with a cake mix, wonder how they would do in a souffle?

Craig
Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If they did that with a cake mix, wonder how they would do in a souffle?

Craig
Oh--that could be interesting. I wish I knew where I could get duck eggs in the Ottawa Valley area...and white truffle oil...and the herb grinder Dr. Oz had on his show today...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Master Chef

I was given some duck eggs a long time ago, and I remember the yolks being a very bright color. I scrambled them for breakfast and they grossed the kids out......me too, kinda.
They seemed really rich tasting.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
Head Chef

Update: While the cakes looked funny they were absolutely fantastic tasting. Now for the funny part...the Birthday Girl turned out to be allergic to wheat! All that for nothing... well, I did enjoy her loaf:)
Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #20
Executive Chef

In the UK Costco sells ducks eggs, I remember as a child lying on the lawn watching my Mum help the duck chicks out of the eggs using warm water, the emerged like a lump of snot(booger) five mins later they looked like beautifull fluffy buttercups, sometime later they looked great with roast tats peas and a cherry jus

Tags
duck, eggs