"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
Head Chef

I suspect that a lot of the first tastings of food were born of necessity. I have a Cambodian friend that went from princess to prisoner in 1 hour. Lost 2 young children to starvation. She tells stories of one person becoming the taster for the group of unfamiliar foods. Some worked out, some didn't make it.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay--I have 7 duck eggs in the fridge. Debating what best to do with them--bake a cake--would there be enough whites for an Angel food cake? I usually use 12 egg whites...what to do, what to do? Use the yolks for homemade ice cream? What to do, what to do...I looked at this recipe:

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/...ng-my-nemesis/

What is custard powder?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I enjoy, and prefer, ice cream made with duck egg yolks; about 8 yolks to 6 - 7 cups, combined, half whole milk & half heavy cream, a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of salt. I added 1+ cup of stewed & partially pureed strawberries to the last batch I made.
Using 7 duck egg whites should be adequate for at least 2/3rds of your 12 egg white angel food recipe.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay--I have 7 duck eggs in the fridge. Debating what best to do with them--bake a cake--would there be enough whites for an Angel food cake? I usually use 12 egg whites...what to do, what to do? Use the yolks for homemade ice cream? What to do, what to do...I looked at this recipe:

Duck Egg Sponge Cake recipe @ Not Quite Nigella

What is custard powder?
Here in Canada you can get something called Bird's Custard Powder. I don't use it because it has weird chemicals in it. Bird's Custard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I enjoy, and prefer, ice cream made with duck egg yolks; about 8 yolks to 6 - 7 cups, combined, half whole milk & half heavy cream, a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of salt. I added 1+ cup of stewed & partially pureed strawberries to the last batch I made.
Using 7 duck egg whites should be adequate for at least 2/3rds of your 12 egg white angel food recipe.
Once I decide what to do with the whites, I'm thinking I'll repeat the rhubarb ice cream using duck egg yolks instead of chicken. The source probably will be done soon--ducks don't lay all year like chickens do. A curling buddy lives down the road and happens to raise ducks...and geese...and goats...and sheep...tempting to get some ducks of my own...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Once I decide what to do with the whites, I'm thinking I'll repeat the rhubarb ice cream using duck egg yolks instead of chicken. The source probably will be done soon--ducks don't lay all year like chickens do. A curling buddy lives down the road and happens to raise ducks...and geese...and goats...and sheep...tempting to get some ducks of my own...
A- I thought you were back in the city?
B- I seem to recall that we only get duck eggs in the cooler weather (October through May), but since our source doubled the asking price for their duck eggs ( from 50 cents ea. to $1 ea.) , we have not been buying any.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I am back in the "City" but the "City" is the size of Prince Edward Island, so has urban and rural components. We live in the rural part (in other words, the City moved to us, we didn't move to the City when amalgamation happened). All we got from this brilliant decision was higher property taxes and fewer services (ditches get mowed less often, roads are plowed later in the day, garbage collection is later and now going to be bi-weekly). I paid $1.50 for my 7 eggs. He did say that the ducks were pretty much done laying.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I remember watching a show on Discovery many years ago about different foods around the world (the shocking and weird). While the show was more sensationalism than documentary (surprising coming from Discovery, especially at the time) one line has always stood out for me. They said "People view animals in the way they can afford to, some places an animal is a pet animal because they can afford it, other places the same animal is food." (A paraphrase).
My husband tells me when he was stationed in Korea, a friend thought he was odd to be appalled that they ate dog. On the other hand, this friend was appalled that he'd not think twice about eating rabbit. They both thought, how can you eat an animal that is a pet??
Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My husband tells me when he was stationed in Korea, a friend thought he was odd to be appalled that they ate dog. On the other hand, this friend was appalled that he'd not think twice about eating rabbit. They both thought, how can you eat an animal that is a pet??
My friend with the ducks did suggest that maybe I baby my chickens and that is why Rocky attacks me...he might have a point re: babying/pampering the girls...nay--no way, oops, I think the pasta I was making for their breakfast is boiling over...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
My friend with the ducks did suggest that maybe I baby my chickens and that is why Rocky attacks me...he might have a point re: babying/pampering the girls...nay--no way, oops, I think the pasta I was making for their breakfast is boiling over...
My great aunt's chickens really seemed to enjoy a treat of pasta.

Tags
duck, eggs