"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Head Chef
Duck Eggs

We have been given several dozen duck eggs. I have fried some and they taste very similar to chicken eggs but with maybe not as much flavor. These are like the biggest super jumbo chicken eggs you have ever seen. I'm wondering if I use them in baking if I should try to cut down on the number of eggs just because of their size. Anyone have any experience with these?

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Recipes typically refer to large chicken eggs. Large eggs average 24-27 ounces per dozen (roughly 2+ ounces each). If your duck eggs are larger, you should use fewer of them in a recipe. Weigh a dozen duck eggs and determine how much larger they are.

If, for example, they are 25% larger, a recipe calling for four eggs would work with three duck eggs.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Head Chef
I have never used them in baking, or anything else for that matter, but when baking I always use a scale... Even chicken eggs have different weights... If you have a scale perhaps you could weigh the amount of eggs called for in a recipe, then weigh the duck eggs to get the correct amount... Just a thought...
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Head Chef
Unfortunately I have no kitchen scale and no room to store one anyway. My kitchen looks like Sanford and Sons with just the stuff I need now. I'm thinking I may have to whip up the eggs scrambled egg style and just remove a little of the egg when I need only one egg.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Master Chef
Site Administrator
I wonder how they would be fired (over easy) using duck fat...

Care to share some eggs?
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Head Chef
When would you like to pick them up?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I had a friend who colored them and made Easter Egg hunt eggs, but we never actually ate them. We sure did have fun watching the faces of the kids when they found the giant eggs!
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Head Chef
Oh, that sounds like fun but unfortunately Easter is a bit far off for that. Still, I could do a few to take to church. The kids would love the out of season treat.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
Executive Chef
My Mumkept ducks and geese when we were kids, from memory the yolk was "richer" than chickens eggs also she could not find an egg cup to fit.
When she baked with them she used Andy M method.
Ps rationing or shortages after WW2 did not realy stop till 1955.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Head Chef
Okay folks, I just made a cake from a mix, using the duck eggs. I baked it off in a pan that makes 8 small loaves. I used two duck eggs instead of three chicken eggs. Well, the loaves came out looking a little like hot air balloons. I mean they crowned like there is no tomorrow. I guess I will just cut off the crown to flatten them out and then frost them. The cakes are a little birthday surprise for someone at work so I would like them to look nice although now that I think about it we might get a good laugh about those silly cakes. Hummm...maybe I'll just leave them as they are.

duck, eggs