Egg Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
Try hitting the "refresh" button - it should only say the page has expired IF you use your back arrow.

Try that and let me know if it works. This is all trial and error - we'll work on it!!

I have done that too, as the expired page says to do and it just keeps coming back to another page, sometimes the page I just posted, perhaps herein lies the problem. I will try to just log off and back on again I think it is with MSN. Does anyone else have the same problem. Thanks for helping kitchelelf.

For me, egg salad is a couple eggs, mashed in a bowl with a fork, about 1 T of minced onion, about 1 T minced celery, about 2 T mayo, sweet relish to taste, salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste.

I read somewhere (online) that putting them in ice water when they are done cooking prevents the green ring from forming around the yolk. ever since i started doing that, the yolks stay pure yellow.

Now, I'm in the mood for egg salad!

The "green ring" is a sign that the egg is overcooked. The sulfur in the egg yolk has moved from the yolk to the outside edge.

I find that make perfectly-cooked eggs, in a steamer or in boiling water, is 14 minutes, then dunk into ice-water. However, you can also go 13 minutes, and cover with ice. By the time the ice has melted into ice water, the carry-over cooking for the eggs has completely cooked the eggs.

It's all a matter of timing. If you steam/boil eggs for 18 minutes, then dunk them into ice water, you'll still get the "green ring", as they are overcooked.

Hi,
I place room temp. eggs into cold water to cover by 1 inch. Then I bring the water to a boil, immediately remove the pot from the heat, cover and let stand for 20 mins. After 20 mins. I put eggs into ice water to cool them down and to avoid that nasty black/blue ring around the yolks.

I make my egg salad by adding Hellman's, a dab of yellow or dizon mustard\, minced onions and chopped olives. Delcious. Oh, yes, salt and pepper, too.

Hope you enjoy.. Any of the suggestions sound great.
Lyndalou

Back
Top Bottom