Egg salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "poached" got my attention. The PITA for egg salad sandwiches is the. I bet you could shirr/poach a dozen at a time in an 8" square baking pan and not have to mess with peeling. Keep the oven temp low so you don't get browning.

I found a place online to order Dukes mayo, but the cost of the shipping was nearly the cost of the mayo. Hate when that happens.

Free shipping available here:
Amazon.com: Duke's mayonnaise - Grocery & Gourmet Food

I have no financial interest in Amazon, so I will give them a shameless plug. Living in the boonies, I regularly order food items from them to avoid a 50 mile drive and sales tax.

Free shipping available here:
Amazon.com: Duke's mayonnaise - Grocery & Gourmet Food

I have no financial interest in Amazon, so I will give them a shameless plug. Living in the boonies, I regularly order food items from them to avoid a 50 mile drive and sales tax.

Thanks Nora.......yep I looked at Amazon. The mayo and the shipping were each just under $5.00. Since I'm way west of the Rockies, I'll stick with Best Foods. I'd love to jump a jet and come to your place for lunch though..I love your cooking style. ;)

Actually, I thought they just asked how many eggs for 30 sandwiches, not how to prepare them, but it has been interesting reading all the different methods. I never would have thought about a box grater.

I love my box grater for my own egg salad. I also grate a couple of HB eggs to extend and add flavor to chicken salad and tuna salad.

I don't know how it would work for so many eggs, but it is pretty fast. Maybe 2 at once?:chef:

I love my box grater for my own egg salad. I also grate a couple of HB eggs to extend and add flavor to chicken salad and tuna salad.

I don't know how it would work for so many eggs, but it is pretty fast. Maybe 2 at once?:chef:

Do you have to chill the eggs in the freezer first? I can see me trying it and it becoming very messy, but slicing with a knife to get them started is no picnic either. Eggs want to stick to everything. I think for a lot the masher sounds nice.

Do you have to chill the eggs in the freezer first? I can see me trying it and it becoming very messy, but slicing with a knife to get them started is no picnic either. Eggs want to stick to everything. I think for a lot the masher sounds nice.

I not only don't chill the eggs before grating, I try to get the egg salad made while the eggs are still as warm as possible for that first sandwich.

I hold my hand cupped around the egg and use my palm to press the egg into the grater. I just use the largest grate, the one I would use for almost everything.:chef:

Daizymae, I used your softened butter/no mayo method and I doubt I'll ever use anything but soft butter for egg salad again. For two eggs, I used about a tablespoon of soft salted butter, some white pepper, fresh dill, a tsp. of rice vinegar,and the 1/2 tsp of white truffle oil sent it right over the top. Truffle oil would be way too expensive to use for 30 sandwiches, but it was out of sight for one!!

Wow..so many posts!!! The tea isn't until April 9, so I won't know how many eggs it will take until next month. Thank you ALL for so many answers and interesting side converations. This is fun!

Daizymae, I used your softened butter/no mayo method and I doubt I'll ever use anything but soft butter for egg salad again. For two eggs, I used about a tablespoon of soft salted butter, some white pepper, fresh dill, a tsp. of rice vinegar,and the 1/2 tsp of white truffle oil sent it right over the top. Truffle oil would be way too expensive to use for 30 sandwiches, but it was out of sight for one!!

I am happy to hear that you went for the soft butter/no mayo method, Kay. I find that mayo ruins the gentle taste of eggs. Fresh dill is also nicer than parsely, that is for sure, but here it's winter and we don't have it in the stores, only parsley & scallions. In the summer, dill's the way to go with egg sandwiches.

White truffle oil. My, my! Maybe I can get my family to buy me a bottle of this for my birthday...

Wah!!!! I can't even sit next to this version! Unless I use my entire week of Fat grams on one meal :brows:

The best way I've found to make easy to peel hard boiled eggs, is to poke a hole in the big end of the shell (where the air pocket is) then drop them directly into boiling water rather than bring them to a boil already in the water. Bring back to a rolling boil, then shut the burner off, cover, and let sit for 10-12 min, and plunge into ice water. The shells peel off easily in large pieces. Although the poaching method would negate the need for peeling, I've never poached an egg, so personally I'm more comfortable with boiling...

i made some today. used mayo, lemon pepper, and paprika. was wonderful. i cook eggs pretty much same way as skittles, to peel. i crack shell a bit, not into tiny pieces. then take a teaspoon, turn upside down and slip between shell and egg. comes right off. i did eight today in about four min. oh , i don't put hole in egg before hard boiling.

Wow..so many posts!!! The tea isn't until April 9, so I won't know how many eggs it will take until next month. Thank you ALL for so many answers and interesting side converations. This is fun!

I know i mentioned it before and don't know how formal your tea will be, but BBQ potato chips go so well with egg salad sandwhiches. The combination of salt, BBQ taste and crunch.
Oh ya...I suppose tea and bbq chips wouldn't go together maybe. Oh well.

Last edited:
I am not on the committee (thank goodness) so I have no idea what anyone else is making/bringing/doing. I know that everyone is supposed to bring their own tea cup and saucer (they will have extras there in case someone forgets/doesn't want to) and a local department store (Belk - I'll give them a plug, haha) is loaning clothes for a children's fashion show. I doubt I can talk my two grandsons into participating, but my 3 month old granddaughter will be the star of the show imho!

"Big & Bold" makes a great coarse seasoning; roasted red pepper & garlic. It's not at all spicey or salty. I add some of that to 35 egg mashed with a pastry blender, a little sugar, yellow mustard, a touch of prepared horseradish & enough mayo. just to bind.A splash of hot sauce adds a nice taste.

Okay - the tea is over and I made my egg salad....my cousin volunteered to make some of them, so she made 20 and I made about 40 - I lost count of exactly how many I made. I boiled 4 dozen eggs...(Hubby intercepted several of the yolks - his favorite)....got tired of making them and ran out of containers to put the sandwiches in....so the leftovers ended up at the Valley Mission for Homeless along with the leftover bread. I am glad that is over and done with! The tea was fun and there was plenty of food.

Back
Top Bottom