"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #61
Senior Cook

The "poached" got my attention. The PITA for egg salad sandwiches is the. I bet you could shirr/poach a dozen at a time in an 8" square baking pan and not have to mess with peeling. Keep the oven temp low so you don't get browning.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #62
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I found a place online to order Dukes mayo, but the cost of the shipping was nearly the cost of the mayo. Hate when that happens.
Free shipping available here:
Amazon.com: Duke's mayonnaise - Grocery & Gourmet Food

I have no financial interest in Amazon, so I will give them a shameless plug. Living in the boonies, I regularly order food items from them to avoid a 50 mile drive and sales tax.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #63
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
Free shipping available here:
Amazon.com: Duke's mayonnaise - Grocery & Gourmet Food

I have no financial interest in Amazon, so I will give them a shameless plug. Living in the boonies, I regularly order food items from them to avoid a 50 mile drive and sales tax.
Thanks Nora.......yep I looked at Amazon. The mayo and the shipping were each just under $5.00. Since I'm way west of the Rockies, I'll stick with Best Foods. I'd love to jump a jet and come to your place for lunch though..I love your cooking style.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #64
Senior Cook

Quote:
I'd love to jump a jet and come to your place for lunch though..I love your cooking style.
...come by any time.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Actually, I thought they just asked how many eggs for 30 sandwiches, not how to prepare them, but it has been interesting reading all the different methods. I never would have thought about a box grater.
I love my box grater for my own egg salad. I also grate a couple of HB eggs to extend and add flavor to chicken salad and tuna salad.

I don't know how it would work for so many eggs, but it is pretty fast. Maybe 2 at once?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I love my box grater for my own egg salad. I also grate a couple of HB eggs to extend and add flavor to chicken salad and tuna salad.

I don't know how it would work for so many eggs, but it is pretty fast. Maybe 2 at once?
Do you have to chill the eggs in the freezer first? I can see me trying it and it becoming very messy, but slicing with a knife to get them started is no picnic either. Eggs want to stick to everything. I think for a lot the masher sounds nice.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Do you have to chill the eggs in the freezer first? I can see me trying it and it becoming very messy, but slicing with a knife to get them started is no picnic either. Eggs want to stick to everything. I think for a lot the masher sounds nice.
I not only don't chill the eggs before grating, I try to get the egg salad made while the eggs are still as warm as possible for that first sandwich.

I hold my hand cupped around the egg and use my palm to press the egg into the grater. I just use the largest grate, the one I would use for almost everything.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #68
Master Chef

Daizymae, I used your softened butter/no mayo method and I doubt I'll ever use anything but soft butter for egg salad again. For two eggs, I used about a tablespoon of soft salted butter, some white pepper, fresh dill, a tsp. of rice vinegar,and the 1/2 tsp of white truffle oil sent it right over the top. Truffle oil would be way too expensive to use for 30 sandwiches, but it was out of sight for one!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #69
Senior Cook

Wow..so many posts!!! The tea isn't until April 9, so I won't know how many eggs it will take until next month. Thank you ALL for so many answers and interesting side converations. This is fun!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #70
Senior Cook

Quote:
Daizymae, I used your softened butter/no mayo method and I doubt I'll ever use anything but soft butter for egg salad again. For two eggs, I used about a tablespoon of soft salted butter, some white pepper, fresh dill, a tsp. of rice vinegar,and the 1/2 tsp of white truffle oil sent it right over the top. Truffle oil would be way too expensive to use for 30 sandwiches, but it was out of sight for one!!

I am happy to hear that you went for the soft butter/no mayo method, Kay. I find that mayo ruins the gentle taste of eggs. Fresh dill is also nicer than parsely, that is for sure, but here it's winter and we don't have it in the stores, only parsley & scallions. In the summer, dill's the way to go with egg sandwiches.

White truffle oil. My, my! Maybe I can get my family to buy me a bottle of this for my birthday...

Tags
egg, salad