Egg salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda123

Senior Cook
Hey everyone...

I "volunteered" to make 30 egg salad sandwiches for a church function. How many eggs should I boil? I've never made a batch of egg salad before - just used whatever was left over from deviled eggs.

So, how many eggs?

Thanks.

Well large eggs weight about 2 ounces; they are a little dense to think of them literally as volume=weight, but not too bad. I usually think of 3 ounces of filling for a white bread sandwich, so I would plan on about an egg and a half per sandwich - 45, which I would round up to 4 dozen even. If eggs were particularly expensive, I might make a test batch of half the amount just to be sure my guesstimate of the result is right, but they aren't, so I wouldn't LOL. YMMV.

Well large eggs weight about 2 ounces; they are a little dense to think of them literally as volume=weight, but not too bad. I usually think of 3 ounces of filling for a white bread sandwich, so I would plan on about an egg and a half per sandwich - 45, which I would round up to 4 dozen even. If eggs were particularly expensive, I might make a test batch of half the amount just to be sure my guesstimate of the result is right, but they aren't, so I wouldn't LOL. YMMV.

Is that 3 ounces of the protein part of the filling? When I make egg salad it's usually about half egg and half mayo, green onions, and celery.

Depends on how far you want to "stretch" the eggs with filler. 1-1/2 to 2 large eggs (as has been mentioned) should do you right and avoid being called stingy.:)

Craig

If I was responsible for making a set amount of sandwiches, I would cook myself three hard boiled eggs, add my ingredients and see just how many sandwiches I could make from a certain amount of eggs. That will let me know exactly how much other stuff (celery, onion, mayo, mustard...) I need to, since I never really pay attention.
Going from memory, I'm thinking that when I do this for lunch I get maybe two sandwiches out of three eggs, but the eggs I use are probably considered large and because they are fresh, they don't always peel well.

I guess it does get into how you make your egg salad sandwiches, LOL. I like just enough "goo" to hold the egg together as a finely chopped, near paste - and I think mustard is a lovely part of the goo, along with some Tabasco. I like the "veggies" separate, so I put a leaf of lettuce, a bit of fresh pickled onion, and, if I am in a good mood, a couple of slices of bacon on the sandwiches.

I say pacanis is right. You have to make a practice run. The way I see it you do not need more than 2 dosen eggs, but you have to make it to decide. Not only what you put in it will make a difference, but also how you would chop the eggs. I prefer t use the big holes of the box grader. And not to squash the eggs, so they will be pretty light and airy. i do not like anything in my egg salad but mayo and even then I do not use a lot. Some salt and pepper - done.

I'm one of those who would rather have too much, than not enough. Large eggs from the grocery these days are sure not as big as they were when I was a kid. Now those large eggs of the past are called Jumbo's. For 30 generous sandwiches made with regular size bread, I'd cook 5 dozen eggs. I hope you have some time, because hard cooked eggs are much easier to peel if they are not real fresh....two weeks old should do it. It works nicely to use my potato masher with the square holes to make short work of chopping the peeled eggs, just place each egg on a plate, and smash. Ingredients I like in mine are: finely chopped green onion, & celery, some sweet pickle relish, a little dried dill, white pepper,
salt and mayo. If you happen to have leftovers, egg salad is great on toast for a quick breakfast for several days.

Thanks for all of y'alls input...none of my friends had a clue...the event I am making these for is an "old-fashioned tea" and I will be cutting the sandwiches into 4 small squares, so i don't really want to go very heavy on the egg salad - they should be "dainty". I like mayo, a squirt of mustard and a bit of pickle relish along with salt & pepper. If anyone wants to dig out their white gloves, spring hats and tea cups, come on over to my church and join in the fun on April 9!

Thanks for all of y'alls input...none of my friends had a clue...the event I am making these for is an "old-fashioned tea" and I will be cutting the sandwiches into 4 small squares, so i don't really want to go very heavy on the egg salad - they should be "dainty". I like mayo, a squirt of mustard and a bit of pickle relish along with salt & pepper. If anyone wants to dig out their white gloves, spring hats and tea cups, come on over to my church and join in the fun on April 9!

Oh an old fashioned Tea!! I'd love to come, and I have just the right outfit!
I get it now...ladies tea sandwiches are a lot different than manwiches.;)
You might want to consider egg salad puffs we discussed a few days ago.
I'll see if I can find the link for you.
Here's the link....they would be great with egg salad..
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/chicken-puffs-70150.html

Last edited:
sounds lovely, I will suggest some fresh finely chopped parsley and capers along with the goo Dijon and mayo.
kadesma
also good is Dijon sweet pickle and black olive

Just sayin'... ;)
Back in my hunting days... when we had "deer camp"... and everyone was responsible for bringing a main meal... and breakfasts and lunches had their own two-man team... egg salad sandwiches were on our "better not" list... :ermm:

:angel:

A judicious, as in really careful, use of a food processor would help a lot in chopping the hard boiled eggs. Actually you can add mayonnaise and whatever and end up with egg salad. I have done it with success, but all it took was a couple of pulses.

I usually use my mini chopper to chop up the eggs - I may have to drag out the big one for 30 sandwiches! Thank you ALL for your help, information and light-hearted chatter! And...if anyone wants to volunteer for the cucumber sandwiches.....haha Thanks again.

I'll do the cucumber sandwiches, when would you like to pick them up? As for the egg salad tea sandwiches I would be surprised if you needed more than 2 dozen eggs but you might cook just a couple of more just in case. If you don't need them they are always great in a salad.

I'll do the cucumber sandwiches, when would you like to pick them up? As for the egg salad tea sandwiches I would be surprised if you needed more than 2 dozen eggs but you might cook just a couple of more just in case. If you don't need them they are always great in a salad.

Was that supposed to be punny?:LOL:

Tip use a wire mess cake stand sitting on a big bowl and press your hard boiled eggs through it.

Back
Top Bottom