"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Egg Sell-By date - sorry but I have to ask

If I have some eggs that have a "sell by" date of Oct. 21 can I expect them to still be good for another 2 weeks? I've had them for a couple of weeks already.

I did find this in a Google search and was wondering if it's true or not.

"Proper storage extends egg safety

03-Jun-2004 - Egg quality and usefulness can be safely maintained beyond the sell-by date if the eggs are stored properly - indeed, they can be safely consumed up to four or five weeks beyond the recommended use-by date, claim US researchers this week."

Thanks for any help and clarification. I thought eggs had a storage total of 30 days. Please forgive the simplistic newbie question.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Head Chef

They will be perfectly safe to eat. I have found that if they are way (month or two) out of date, they will taste like refrigerator, but they are not spoiled.

I have chickens, and once in a while, they will lay a tiny little egg. I set those on the windowsill and, after a month or two, they dry up and I use them for decoration. They never spoil or smell bad.

Rotten eggs are unmistakeable, and thankfully, very rare. I think I have only cracked one rotten egg in my long career as a cook.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thank You!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Head Chef

I buy 2 cartons of eggs at a time and mark the "sell by" date on one carton. A week after that date I make hard boiled eggs. They are still fine but because they're older the shells just peel off easily. Eggs can be kept for 3 weeks after the sell by date.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks! You folks have saved me from eating eggs for every meal for the next few days!! Wasn't looking forward to that!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef

You can always check eggs by putting them in a bowl of water. Fresh eggs stay at the bottom, older eggs point upwards and rotten eggs float.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
They will be perfectly safe to eat. I have found that if they are way (month or two) out of date, they will taste like refrigerator, but they are not spoiled.

I have chickens, and once in a while, they will lay a tiny little egg. I set those on the windowsill and, after a month or two, they dry up and I use them for decoration. They never spoil or smell bad.

Rotten eggs are unmistakeable, and thankfully, very rare. I think I have only cracked one rotten egg in my long career as a cook.
I also have only once cracked a rotten egg and it's something I never want to smell again it's awful. It was one of the last ones for quiche I had to throw them all away and start over..
Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef

You also want to store your eggs in the original container not in the egg tray that comes with your fridge they keep better that way.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

Miniman - eggs that float aren't necessarily "rotten". As eggs get older, the air space inside increases - that's what makes them float.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks all! I knew with a membership of over 20,000 great cooks I'd learn what I need to know!

I have been storing them in the original containers. I read to keep them in the coldest part of the fridge and the door trays seem like they would be the warmest part of the fridge.

Thanks for the great help!

Tags
None