"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Egg whites

I saw in the store a carton of egg white substitute and was tempted o buy some. They seem easier to use if I want an omlet in the morning...but I didn't know how good they are for you/ Would they be as fresh as seperating an egg myself, or are they loaded with sodium? Are they nutritious? If anybody has experience with them, let me know how they are!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I think they're essentially just egg whites with a little food color and maybe some stabilizers. Check the ingredients list in the store. They shouldn't have sodium.

Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I use EggBeaters during the week. They make a decent omlet and are harmless.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I have bought Eggbeaters. They make pretty good scrambled eggs. They are very easy to use.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I have used EB as well. Not bad, although for straight up egg white stuff, I will often use a product called "Simply Egg Whites" that is just pasteurized whites. Costs about the same as what I'd waste by tossing yolks when I buy it at Costco.

Burnbrae Farms - Our Products
Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Well I made some egg beaters egg white this morning and they are quite good! I was surprised at how much they taste like the real thing, not that they are fake or anything. I was just freaked out at buying egg whies in a carton!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Oh, piffle. I should know better than to make this comment, but my fingers are being pulled toward the keyboard as if by magnet:

I get the point of these if you'd otherwise discard the yolk*, but ... "easier"? Than what, pray tell? Just how hard is cracking open an egg?

*canaries love hard-boiled yolks. Have any friends with birds who'd appreciate your yolks?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Actually, EggBeaters makes a better omlet or scramble than egg whites alone. The carton tells us it's 99% egg whites but that 1% of something else makes a difference. Also, it's yellow!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Actually, EggBeaters makes a better omlet or scramble than egg whites alone. The carton tells us it's 99% egg whites but that 1% of something else makes a difference. Also, it's yellow!
Fair enough. Gotta admit I'm a whole-egg girl myself, so I daresay I have no business here!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I also prefer whole eggs. I use the EggBeaters to avoid the large amounts of cholesterol found in whole eggs and to give me a low calorie breakfast.

I look forward to my two whole eggs each week.

Tags
None