"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
hey, the poop is always greener...
I really like your positive mental attitude. There must have been some clockwise stirring going on in your past.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
so, you're saying (in a future life) try to get a seat by the door...
LOL, Buckytom. Or come back as one of my chickens--fresh greens and table scraps every day, and an occasional thrill when one of the Aussies chases you around the yard.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:22 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Wow - lots of good info here - I don't buy the 'omega-3 eggs' at twice the price, 'cause if I want omega-3, I'll eat fish! It's like putting calcium in Tums to get peeps to buy more Tums!

I do, however, buy free-range eggs farmed locally by the Mepkin Abbey monks; their chickens are -truly - free range, they have a huge yard to roam around in, and are outside all day. Sparrow, your info on free range was fascinating, and I'm sure true of the 'big' producers; but - if you can find a small, local farm, you'll find some of the most delicious eggs.

I can honestly tell a difference between the free-range eggs and 'regular' eggs. The free range eggs just have a richer taste.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #24
Head Chef

Absolutely, Marmalady. I can taste the difference now with my own eggs--the girls are locked up to keep them out of the newly planted veggies. I do give them leftovers and the weeds I pull, but I ain't gonna be catching bugs and digging worms for them.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Sparrowgrass... what about eggs labeled "organic" in the US? A hen farmer friend once told me a long time ago that it's simply eggs that come from non-hormone/non-antibiotic injected hens. Is that correct? What about cannibalizing chickens like they do for non-organic cows... does that occur? I mean, feeding ground up chicken parts to chickens like they do to cows. Just some questions this thread made me start thinking about.

P.S. Thanks for all the great information. I'd say 60% of the eggs I eat have bloodspots in them and I've never even thought about it... then again, it also doesn't bother me that I have to wipe chicken poop off of ALL of my eggs.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
...Is that correct? What about cannibalizing chickens like they do for non-organic cows... does that occur? I mean, feeding ground up chicken parts to chickens like they do to cows...
Federal law prohibits feeding beef cattle any food that contains cattle parts. This law has been in place for a while and is the primary reason we have no problem with mad cow disease in the US.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #27
Sous Chef

I don't think so. There isn't any difference between brown and white, but some people are still being duped into paying more for brown.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #28
Master Chef

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about "bio-engineered" food crops. They are simply hybridized for better resistance to disease (reducing the need for spraying), better production, and superior taste.

In regard to caged chickens, I'm all for it. Chickens are nasty creatures, and anything that will keep them from from eating their own droppings and grasshoppers or bugs is fine with me.

I buy plain old eggs.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I buy Eggland's. I've never done a taste comparison, but then, I don't buy them for any appreciable difference in taste. I just figure that I might as well get a little bit better nutrition .
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Safeway and Costco both have the higher Omega 3 eggs. We are buying them for the health advantages - but then we're trying hard to really improve on the quality of the food we're going to eat. I'd rather not eat foods that contain all kinds of additives and chemicals!

Tags
None