"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #31
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
Velochic, organic eggs come from chickens fed organic feed--from crops that have not been sprayed with pesticides or fertilized with chemical fertilizers. I would think, but I don't know for sure, that chemical drugs would be against the rules, too.

In the US, it is against the law to use hormones in chickens. Most antibiotics have a withdrawal period--if you administer antibiotics, you cannot slaughter the animal or sell the eggs (or the milk, in the case of cows) for some specified period of time.
__________________

__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #32
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
if you administer antibiotics, you cannot slaughter the animal or sell the eggs (or the milk, in the case of cows) for some specified period of time.
Sparrowgrass, do you have any reference for this? I don't doubt you, it's just that this is not what I thought was the case. I'm always willing to learn.
__________________

__________________
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Not to be disagreeable..especially at 6:30 in the morning...plus have a bad cold....
That being said...I worked for over 30 years in the retail grocery business.
Next there is an "egg farm" with over 1 Million birds 5 miles north of me. I know folks there....

My comments would be...."Buyer Beware"
__________________
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #34
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
Bullseye, google "antibiotic withdrawal times, livestock" for info. Antibiotics are marked with the withdrawal times.

Uncle Bob, if you are saying that you have to trust the producer to follow the laws, you are right. However, there are tests for antibiotics, so there are some safeguards in place.

(Just a note on my credentials--MS in Ag, working for U of Missouri Extension, from a farm family. FWIW.)
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Correct! There are test....but the "testers" are few....
Producers fill orders regardless of inventory...
Come to think of it...I don't recall seeing the brand here locally lately.
Of course I am not looking for them...so they may there.
__________________
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #36
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Not to be disagreeable..especially at 6:30 in the morning...plus have a bad cold....
That being said...I worked for over 30 years in the retail grocery business.
Next there is an "egg farm" with over 1 Million birds 5 miles north of me. I know folks there....

My comments would be...."Buyer Beware"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Correct! There are test....but the "testers" are few....
Producers fill orders regardless of inventory...
Come to think of it...I don't recall seeing the brand here locally lately.
Of course I am not looking for them...so they may there.
Uncle Bob, after reading your posts carefully several times, I don't know what your point is.
For what it's worth, sparrowgrass has always been a very reliable source of information in my book.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
I have no quarel with Sparrowgrass nor anything he has said...
Reliable source....May he continue to be so!
My point was well stated...sorry you missed it!
__________________
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #38
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
My point was well stated...sorry you missed it!
Well, I'm sorry to, but it wouldn't be the first time that a well stated argument went over my head. I'm low on eggs and heading to the grocery store shortly. What do you suggest?
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
What would I suggest??? Why.......An Omlet....What else??
__________________
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #40
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
Bullseye, google "antibiotic withdrawal times, livestock" for info. Antibiotics are marked with the withdrawal times.

Uncle Bob, if you are saying that you have to trust the producer to follow the laws, you are right. However, there are tests for antibiotics, so there are some safeguards in place.

(Just a note on my credentials--MS in Ag, working for U of Missouri Extension, from a farm family. FWIW.)
Thanks, sparrowgrass. I will take some time and read some of the results--I only had time to skim, so far. It seems that there are safeguards in place, including withdrawal times being specified for when antibiotics are administered and provisions for testing the end product. There seems also to be some notices that address the practice of some to exceed the dosage, and that sometimes the withdrawal times are not sufficient for all strains of a particular produce. However, I am interested enough to research further. Thanks again for the pointers.
__________________

__________________
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.