"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

boids do need proteins, but it doesn't have to be meat. (same goes for my parrots)
in fact, some people say that feeding meat to birds makes them aggressive.

with chickens, i think it's just because of their name, and we keep crossing the street.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
All vegetarian feed? I was under the impression that chickens need meat in their diet.
there was no meat in the feed that I recall. This goes back about 15 yrs ago.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmm, maybe I misunderstood the chicken forum people then.
I thought I was told by several people that chickens do better with an animal source of protein included in their diet. When they can't get bugs to eat it was good to feed them canned cat food (in moderation) or raw hamburger, even their own eggs (scrambled so as not to lead to other problems). Mine were pecking at themselves something fierce about mid-winter and I started supplementing their feed with raw hamburger every other day or so and the pecking stopped. Some of them are still walking around with missing feathers on their butts, but no more chunks of chicken missing.

I don't know.... from what I've gathered, there are as many ways to care for chickens as there is to thaw them....
Old 05-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Here it is, the fourth ingredient in the chicken feed I use is; animal protein products.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

just like the problem with eating a vegetarian diet, you get more complete proteins from meat with less effort.

unless your chickens can take a hunk of flesh out of you at will (as my parrots do on occasion), it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Here it is, the fourth ingredient in the chicken feed I use is; animal protein products.
thanks , pacanis. my chickens were free range, they had use of the whole 8.7 acres of land. We never fertilized the land with chemicals or anything so the chickens did not get contaminated, nor the eggs. When we had a garden , we used chicken manure , and wow did the veggies grow. We had to be careful not to use too much manure it was very potent and burn the plants and roots.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetk3 View Post
i've noticed people talking about "what" they feed the hens and what makes these eggs different from others. it's exactly that, it's what they FEED the hens that produces a more nutritious egg. the feed that these hens eat is an all vegetarian feed-so no animal by product! :)
Not sure what you mean by "no animal by product," or why that's desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetk3 View Post
The feed has also excluded hormones and antibiotics, which are commonly found in other feeds. In turn, these hens produce eggs that are higher in lutein, vitamin e, omega 3, and iodine; and lower in cholesterol and saturated fat, by significant amounts.
You must have missed the post where an FDA inspector said it's illegal in the U.S. to give hormones to poultry, and that poultry producers must withdraw antibiotics from the birds a specified period of time before slaughter, so it will be eliminated from their bodies first.

I think greens and nuts are far better sources of lutein and vitamin E, and fish, especially tuna and salmon, are better sources of omega 3 fatty acids.

Vitamin E
Lutein
Old 05-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #58
Head Chef

And the color of the chicken does not match the color of the eggs. It sounds goofy, but the color of the hen's earlobes tells you what color the eggs will be--and I bet you didn't even know that hens had earlobes, did ya?

I have hens that lay brown eggs--the hens themselves are all different colors, including white.

And, praise the powers that be, I am no longer a chicken checker. I work for Extension now.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #59
Sous Chef

scrambled eggs and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
boids do need proteins, but it doesn't have to be meat. (same goes for my parrots)
in fact, some people say that feeding meat to birds makes them aggressive.

with chickens, i think it's just because of their name, and we keep crossing the street.
Don't you give your parrots cooked scrambled eggs, shrimp, meat and chicken bones, nuts, cheese and other proteins? My cockatoo loves them. He's very healthy. An Amazon I had loved eating unsweetened plain yogurt holding his own spoon of course.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

my birds get all of the things you've mentioned. they get nuts every day, chesse about twice a week (pizza is a fave), and chicken leg bones all the time. dw saves the bones from dinner, then gives it to them at night when i'm not home. busy beaks aren't noisy beaks.

my molluccan gets crazy if i don't share a wendy's classic double with cheese with him when i get home late. he eats until his crop is a stuffed balloon.

i've heard other bird owners report (and have noticed) that when cockatoos get a lot of meat as the protein in their diet, they tend to be more quick to bite, and do other beahviours to display their superiority.

Tags
None