Eggland's Best eggs worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much are they charging for Eggland eggs where you live?

At my store they are $2.49 a dozen for large and the Stop and Shop store brand is $1.89. They are often on sale for less and there are frequently coupons in the Globe which make them cheaper than store brand.

Also, BJ's sells them in 2 dozen packs for pretty darn cheap.

I usually buy Eggland even when they aren't on sale because I think they taste better.

I don't look for them to give me Omega 3, though I do look for calcium in OJ ;)

My hens' shells are noticably harder to crack. I take that as a good sign, that they are getting enough nutrients and calcium.

Some people swear that brown eggs taste better than do white-shelled eggs. I have purchased both and done the comparison. Nobody in my family could discern any difference in flavor, texture, or quality. the shell color is a function of the breed, i.e. Rhode Island Reds lay brown eggs while Cornish Crosses lay white eggs.

The flavor difference between true range-free chicken eggs, and the standard white chicken egg is dramatic. Due to the varied diet of chickens roaming about, eating bugs, filed mice, various plants, etc., the yolk is richer in both flavor and color, thicker in texture, and probably more nutritious (can't erify that last coment, just an educated guess).

As for omega-3 fatty acids, eat more fish, and add flax-seed to your home-made breads, or sprinkle on your cerial. You'll get all you need.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I once heard that the thickness of the shell was directly influenced by what the chicken was feed, but then someone else said it was actually bred that way for consumers. I did a quick Google but didn't come up with anything...
Maybe there isn't anything to it at all, or it just depends on the type of bird? I would be curious to find out. We once raised chickens, and granted it was along time ago when I was a young kid, but I can't remember them being any tastier or thicker in the shell or anything. I think dad just did it thinking it might be cheaper than buying eggs at the store...

We raised chickens when I was a kid and my day always!!!! put oyster shell in there feed to improve the thickness of the shell and at the time tasted real good 10yrs =16yrs

How much are they charging for Eggland eggs where you live?

At my store they are $2.49 a dozen for large and the Stop and Shop store brand is $1.89. They are often on sale for less and there are frequently coupons in the Globe which make them cheaper than store brand.

Also, BJ's sells them in 2 dozen packs for pretty darn cheap.

I usually buy Eggland even when they aren't on sale because I think they taste better.

I don't look for them to give me Omega 3, though I do look for calcium in OJ ;)
$2.89 a dozen for large EBs at our local IGA.

There appear to be hundreds of articles about eggshell thickness available. All seem to imply that a thin eggshell is a bad thing. In wild fowl it means a lower hatching and survival rate, remember the Bald Eagle? That was an eggshell thickness problem related to the use of DDT. When the use of DDT was stopped the Eagle population recovered. The age of the bird has also been linked to eggshell thickness as well as genetic propensities of one bird family vs. another. The color of the Chicken or the egg is not a factor.
If you keep your own hens you are more likely to see that they are fed properly and taken care of than a gigantic egg factory-farm where the cost of feed must be reduced to the minimum so that profit might be achieved from eggs sold for next to nothing at a grocery store. They don't do it because they love chickens, folks, they do it for money. Eggshell thickness needs to be kept at least thick enough to survive the egg handling machinery and the trip to the market. Since the majority of shoppers buy the cheapest possible product the majority of producers are going to recycle bird droppings into the feed and use any waste or animal byproduct they can get their hands on to keep production/feed costs down. I prefer to sidestep that at least a little bit and pay more for eggs from birds that were fed better. If an egg is an egg then wine is wine and there is no reason to buy anything but the cheapest of anything. Admittedly, returns diminish at some point but as a rule you get what you pay for.
My hat is off to you Pacanis for going to the trouble of keeping your own hens, I wish I could get my hands on some of your eggs!

Thanks, che'
My main reason was convenience of always having eggs on hand, but they do taste better..... and no "eggy" aftertaste. I'll never go back to store bought. I wouldn't say I do it because it's cheaper though, not when you figure in the cost of building the coop and having five pullets shipped to me. They'd have to lay a lotta eggs for me to recoup that initial cost. Much like the hunter putting game meat on his table.

But it's kinda neat having chickens anyway. And no trouble at all. :)

Chickens are definitely the easiest livestock I have ever dealt with. As pacanis says, no trouble at all. At least, as long as they stay in the their chicken yard--chickens are **** on the garden, if they get into it.

I have 16 right now. They are getting old (most of them are 5) and I will be ordering 25 new chicks in a couple weeks.

I can supply eggs for half the neighborhood with 25 hens, and the litter is wonderful for my garden. I gather all the leaves I can find in the fall, and fill their chicken yard up with them. By spring, I have tons of lovely compost for free, with no effort on my part.

Last edited:
I've had free range peafowl here for a few years, down to just 2 hens now, and they certainly aren't any trouble. I'm a single guy though and don't use a dozen eggs a week so it might not work out for me to have my own birds. Peahen eggs are big and light brown, about goose egg size.

Sparrowgrass said:
I can supply eggs for half the neighborhood with 25 hens,

;)Tell me about it. Years ago, I started with 25 "straight run" bittys six of which turned out to be roosters...5 went to the stew pot..one for Crowing. That left 19 pullets. Which was more than enough. I began selling a few eggs to off set feed, etc. It was fun...so I went and bought 150 sexed pullets. In no time short I was picking up 12 dozen per day!! I was in da egg business!!! :LOL: I even made a few dollars selling to neighbors etc. Then it became work, so I gradually got out of the chicken/egg routine. Sometimes I wish I still had about 6 hens. Nothing like hearing one cackle, going and pick up the egg while still warm, and going straight to the frying pan!! Like Dave said, I fed oyster shell on the side to improve shell thickness especially as the hens aged. Good memories! Oh, All things being equal there is no difference in egg quality, nutritional value or flavor in a brown/white/blue/speckled/etc egg!

Fun!!

I do buy Egglands because I think they taste better. And I always use a coupon (that's doubled) so the price isn't too bad IMO.

Sometimes I miss having my own egg laying chickens. They had wonderful eggs.

I remember growing up we would get up in the morning just as mom came back in with fresh eggs from our layers. Best eggs I have ever had.

For some reason these days, I can't eat eggs in the morning or I get very sick to my stomach. I have no idea why...

For some reason these days, I can't eat eggs in the morning or I get very sick to my stomach. I have no idea why...

Ahh, yes..... not enough tabasco on them. And perhaps substitute a good ol can of soda instead of having coffee or OJ.
:angel:

Back
Top Bottom