"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Eggland's Best eggs worth it?

do they really have the extra omega 3?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

Beats me, I can't afford eggs that expensive!!
Instead, we go down to our local farmers market and buy his organic eggs very fresh and at the same cost as the cheap ones at the grocery store.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

They probably do. The question is, do you need to pay the extra price to get omega3 from your eggs.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Head Chef

That's the brand that they sell at Kroger where I live. They have labeled everything in the store "organic." So goes with the eggs. They are the same price as the other stores.

We have one store that sells brown eggs and they are very expensive. Where Kroger's eggs may sell for $1.10 per dozen on an average day, these brown eggs are around $3 or $4 per dozen. Sometimes the brown eggs have a bluish tint to them.

Kroger had their eggs on sale for .25 cents a dozen one year and the shells were not smooth. I bought four dozen (like everybody else in town). The shells were too thick and hard to crack and the contents were small to include the yolks. They went bad within two weeks and did stink! Maybe that was a trial product of omega 3.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Master Chef

While they may have extra Omega 3, I don't think it's worth the price they charge for them. For what they get for them around here, as others have stated, I can get organic/free-range eggs for the same price or less. And I'd rather have that than a bunch of eggs with little stamps on them. Does anyone besides me find those little letters "EB" stamped in red on every single egg weird? Wonder how much that drives the price up.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
While they may have extra Omega 3, I don't think it's worth the price they charge for them. For what they get for them around here, as others have stated, I can get organic/free-range eggs for the same price or less. And I'd rather have that than a bunch of eggs with little stamps on them. Does anyone besides me find those little letters "EB" stamped in red on every single egg weird? Wonder how much that drives the price up.
Weird is right. Why don't they just stamp it with a picture of an omega 3 fish?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

I get my eggs at Trader Joes and each egg is stamped with the expiration date. Now that's handy! (and they're not expensive)
Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I only just recently looked at Eggland's eggs in the dairy case. Mainly out of curiosity. I was shocked at the price. Even with the current spike in pedestrian egg prices.

I would definitely not pay the price for the eggs, especially since part of the price (in my opinion) goes to pay for their advertising. I choose to get my Omega 3 from supplements. I can purchase a lot of my supplements for the cost of several dozen Eggland eggs. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Executive Chef

They generally taste better than other regularly available eggs. Land O Lakes brand is also sometimes better tasting than other supermarket eggs but not as consistently good.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
200 gelcaps, each containing 1200mg of fish oil - $10.99

Tags
None