"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Eggnog recipes?

I have not paid any attention to eggnog before. But I have a DH who loves (storebought) eggnog and last week while Christmas caroling at a local nursing home, I was served an incredible fresh eggnog. I plan on serving it Christmas Day to my 5 guests and made a test batch a few days ago. I used the recipe from Fannie Farmer Cookbook and the technique called to whip the heavy cream before folding it into the mixture. The texture was a dense sludge and was better consumed with a spoon than drinking. Since reviewing many recipes, I see they almost all call for the heavy cream to just be poured in and not whipped. I am also considering starting the eggnog today so it can marinate until Christmas day. Do any of you have a favorite recipe to share?

Thanks.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Eggnog recipes?

When I was a kid, my breakfast most mornings was eggnog. Raw egg in a glass, add milk, sugar and cinnamon stir and drink.

Now we just buy pasteurized eggnog from a local dairy. Tastes great with or without brandy.

Not sure it benefits from marinating.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

This is a simple eggnog that can be made without cream.

I add a shot of cognac or golden rum when I serve it.

I need quick easy comfort food

This year I'm making it with almond milk for the first time.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks Andy and B for the suggestions. I still plan on setting the yolks, milk, cream, vanilla and bourbon for a day to meld, but will do it tomorrow. The recipe cautioned not letting the whites sit for more than a day in the frig and I don't want to fool with freezing and thawing the whites.

B, I am interested in how it tastes when made with almond milk. Interesting that you make a nog when not feeling well. Dh really wants me to make this year round. It is rather tasty. Especially with bourbon and rum.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
+1 on the pasteurized store bought Egg Nog, but I have a twist!
Add some Baskin-Robbins Jamoma Ice Cream, let it melt into the punchbowl,
and don't forget some Rum and Brandy, MMM!
Old 12-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

The unsweetened almond milk is just another attempt to reduce the carbs, I will let you know how it works.

I grew up with eggnog as a comfort food when we were sick. It is a quick inexpensive way to get nourishment into someone who is not interested in eating.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The unsweetened almond milk is just another attempt to reduce the carbs, I will let you know how it works.

I grew up with eggnog as a comfort food when we were sick. It is a quick inexpensive way to get nourishment into someone who is not interested in eating.
I grew up the same way with the same simple recipe. Egg Nog you buy in the grocery is always too thick for my liking. I'm definitely going to use your idea for Almond Milk Bea.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Buy a gallon from store, empty half into another clean gallon, fill each with with amber or dark rum and enjoy! After all the eggnog is just a vehicle for the rum!
Old 12-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Master Chef

I like thick and creamy eggnog. The store-bought versions are great in texture, but are far too sweet for my tastes. I do love egg nog though. Here's how I make mine.
ingredients:
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
5 eggs
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
Combine the milk and cream in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Separate the eggs. Beat together the egg yolks with the sugar. Add the ground nutmeg, and vanilla to the hot milk. Ladle a half-cup of the scalded milk into the yolk/sugar mixture to temper it as you would pastry cream. Slowly add this back into the quart of milk and gently whisk until the eggnog thickens. You are basically making a nutmeg and vanilla flavored ice cream base.

Finally, beat the egg whites with a 1/4 cup of powdered sugar to form stiff peaks. Fold this into the hot eggnog mixture. Whisk to make it ccreamy-smooth.

Remove the eggnog from the heat and pour through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps. Chill for several hours.

You can adjust the sweetness, and the vanilla and nutmeg flavors to you taste.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
Master Chef

I need to copy this. My wife loves eggnog, but since we started keeping kosher she has not had one. I'd score major points if I make some.

Tags
egg, recipe, recipes

Eggnog recipes? I have not paid any attention to eggnog before. But I have a DH who loves (storebought) eggnog and last week while Christmas caroling at a local nursing home, I was served an incredible fresh eggnog. I plan on serving it Christmas Day to my 5 guests and made a test batch a few days ago. I used the recipe from Fannie Farmer Cookbook and the technique called to whip the heavy cream before folding it into the mixture. The texture was a dense sludge and was better consumed with a spoon than drinking. Since reviewing many recipes, I see they almost all call for the heavy cream to just be poured in and not whipped. I am also considering starting the eggnog today so it can marinate until Christmas day. Do any of you have a favorite recipe to share? Thanks. 3 stars 1 reviews