Eggs Benedict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoked salmon and rostis go well with eggs benedict aswell as some chopped chives ontop

What I am about to tell you goes totally against all my training, but it is the way my mother taught me to make hollandaise and it works 99.9% of the time.

Measure 1/2 cup of butter and cut in half (make sure it is cold). Place two egg yolks and 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a small heavy bottomed pot and mix together. Add one piece of butter and stir with a fork in the butter on medium to low heat until the butter is completely melted and incorporated. Add the second piece of butter and keep stirring it in until it is all melted. Switch to a wooden spoon until it is smooth and thick but not too long or it will separate. You can always "bring it back" by reheating it and adding more butter if necessary.

(shh, don't tell my culinary instructor! ;))

Ok, I don't make this so I don't understand, What is the big problem with this recipe??

I cheat - I use Knorr's for the hollandaise sauce and poach pods for the eggs. We like it.

img_1035828_0_9da6947152ca6be70c658e2d8a896af5.jpg

Yet another purdy picture, MsM. ;)
By "poach pods", do you mean those silicone cups I saw the other day? If so, they sure make perfect looking poached eggs! How exactly do you use them?
Thank you. Yes silicone cups. I spray them with pam then crack egg into the cup. Bring a pot of water to a boil then lower to simmer float the pods and cover pot. Simmer about 3 minutes then remove pods and pop out the egg.

Thank you. Yes silicone cups. I spray them with pam then crack egg into the cup. Bring a pot of water to a boil then lower to simmer float the pods and cover pot. Simmer about 3 minutes then remove pods and pop out the egg.

i believe you've sold some silicone poach pods, msmofet, with your fabulous looking eggs benedict pics. can it possibly taste as marvelous as it looks there in that picture?

i believe you've sold some silicone poach pods, msmofet, with your fabulous looking eggs benedict pics. can it possibly taste as marvelous as it looks there in that picture?
Thank you. They taste pretty darn good. The yolk is nice and runny if you don't overcook them.

I need to get some of those poach pods. I do it the old fashioned way, and I can't say that it is worth the effort. One of my favorite breakfasts is "eggs on toast", my grandmother used to make this for us as kids, just poached eggs (she used a metal egg poacher) on buttered toast. She wasn't a fussy cook, she was more of a slam together type of cook. She would butter the toast by mashing the heck out of it, often buttering her hand in the process :LOL:

Eggs on toast is a comfort food that brings me back to my childhood.

For poached eggs, I use a $10.50 T-Fal non-stick 3-egg poaching pan that wipes clean with a damp cloth.

i watched this video on making hollandaise sauce, along with several others yesterday, including one by chef nathan, half-naked (beer gut and all). i must say, i'm not inclined to attempt cooking this sauce again, using the approved, authentic methods i observed. no matter how fast and furious i whisked my eggs, they still managed to scramble together in one quick flash of a moment, right in front of my very vigilant, unsuspecting eyes....:( i will, however, buy a couple of those poaching pods.... :)

Last edited:
i watched this video on making hollandaise sauce, along with several others yesterday, including one by chef nathan, half-naked (beer gut and all). i must say, i'm not inclined to attempt cooking this sauce again, using the approved, authentic methods i observed. no matter how fast and furious i whisked my eggs, they still managed to scramble together in one quick flash of a moment, right in front of my very vigilant, unsuspecting eyes....:( i will, however, buy a couple of those poaching pods.... :)

:LOL: @ vitauta. There is the the answer why LP's mom's method could be earth shattering!! :ROFLMAO:

What I am about to tell you goes totally against all my training, but it is the way my mother taught me to make hollandaise and it works 99.9% of the time.

Measure 1/2 cup of butter and cut in half (make sure it is cold). Place two egg yolks and 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a small heavy bottomed pot and mix together. Add one piece of butter and stir with a fork in the butter on medium to low heat until the butter is completely melted and incorporated. Add the second piece of butter and keep stirring it in until it is all melted. Switch to a wooden spoon until it is smooth and thick but not too long or it will separate. You can always "bring it back" by reheating it and adding more butter if necessary.

(shh, don't tell my culinary instructor! ;))

Last edited:
I'm gonna try LP's method. I haven't bothered to make it in a while, but that looks easy enough for even me to do in the morning while still half asleep, (I'm not a morning pwrson, lol.)

Back
Top Bottom