Eggs Benedict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just buy the sauce lol! some things we don't have to make from scratch! I don't buy the pre-packaged stuff, get it freshly made from a deli.

What I am about to tell you goes totally against all my training, but it is the way my mother taught me to make hollandaise and it works 99.9% of the time.

Measure 1/2 cup of butter and cut in half (make sure it is cold). Place two egg yolks and 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a small heavy bottomed pot and mix together. Add one piece of butter and stir with a fork in the butter on medium to low heat until the butter is completely melted and incorporated. Add the second piece of butter and keep stirring it in until it is all melted. Switch to a wooden spoon until it is smooth and thick but not too long or it will separate. You can always "bring it back" by reheating it and adding more butter if necessary.

(shh, don't tell my culinary instructor! ;))

What I am about to tell you goes totally against all my training, but it is the way my mother taught me to make hollandaise and it works 99.9% of the time.

Measure 1/2 cup of butter and cut in half (make sure it is cold). Place two egg yolks and 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a small heavy bottomed pot and mix together. Add one piece of butter and stir with a fork in the butter on medium to low heat until the butter is completely melted and incorporated. Add the second piece of butter and keep stirring it in until it is all melted. Switch to a wooden spoon until it is smooth and thick but not too long or it will separate. You can always "bring it back" by reheating it and adding more butter if necessary.

:LOL: LP!! I'm enough of a maverick .. errr....wild thang, to give that a try. I think I'll close all the shades in the kitchen first though. Bruuhaaaaaa.....:devilish:

and this is a culinary sacrilege because...?

You bad bad women! :ROFLMAO:
Best not tell you about how I sometimes buy cakes from Woolworths and put them in my own cake tins when someone asks me to bake a cake and I'm not in the mood :LOL: I decorate the plain icing and pass it off as my own :(
Mostly for bake sale at my kids school, those darn PTA moms are such snobs!

In the winter time I make many things that resemble eggs benedict on Sunday mornings, but I seldom make the real thing.

One of the best is to use a package of frozen creamed spinach instead of the Hollandaise.

I have used cheese sauce, salsa, and marinara. I also have used a large mushroom cap, bacon or a small steak in place of the ham. The only real constant is the poached egg. It really depends on whats in the fridg. and how deep the snow is.

In the winter time I make many things that resemble eggs benedict on Sunday mornings, but I seldom make the real thing.

One of the best is to use a package of frozen creamed spinach instead of the Hollandaise.

I have used cheese sauce, salsa, and marinara. I also have used a large mushroom cap, bacon or a small steak in place of the ham. The only real constant is the poached egg. It really depends on whats in the fridg. and how deep the snow is.

Love Eggs Benedict with creamed spinach! Yum :) With crispy bacon!
I've never tried the salsa will give it a go. It's also good with a potato cake in place of the muffin and cheddar sauce on top.

Did you know that each one of those variations (and a few others, as well) all have their own names? Egg "something-or-Other?" Don't recall what they all are, but when you sub an artichoke bottom for the English Muffin, it becomes Eggs Sardou. With Spinach, it's Eggs Florentine. When you sub salmon for the Canadian bacon, it becomes Eggs Royale. with Lobster, it's called Lobster Benedict. And if you don't find a name for the variation you like best, you can make one up yourself!

Did you know that each one of those variations (and a few others, as well) all have their own names? Egg "something-or-Other?" Don't recall what they all are, but when you sub an artichoke bottom for the English Muffin, it becomes Eggs Sardou. With Spinach, it's Eggs Florentine. When you sub salmon for the Canadian bacon, it becomes Eggs Royale. with Lobster, it's called Lobster Benedict. And if you don't find a name for the variation you like best, you can make one up yourself!

Thank you CJ, been trying to remember what it was called with Spinach. Eggs Forentine! It was driving me nuts :LOL:

and this is a culinary sacrilege because...?
Because Hollandaise is a very sacred sauce in the culinary world and it must be made a "certain way".

It is funny, if I just want a little Hollandaise for an eggs benny I use my Mom's method but if I am doing it for guests or catering I revert back to my training :rolleyes:

i make a yummy breakfast our of english muffins, fried egg, creamed spinach and cheese. oops forgot the Canadian bacon. what would we call that?

Well, if you hadn't forgotten the Canadian bacon, I would call it an egg mcmuffin florentine :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom