"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Eggs for Supper?

Do Y'all eat eggs for Supper?!

It is sooo hot here in Central Texas right now..

This Keyel recipie for Eggs Foo Young, was perfect while watching a football game, and is so quick and easy, did not heat up the House!

It is also very Tre Elegant, my friends were Very Impressed!

Egg Foo Young

Thank You KL!

Love , Eric Austin Tx.

giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I sure do! and Thanks for Kayelle's recipe - hadn't come across that one! On my list for "soon must do".

Old 09-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Im not a big egg eater, and my wife has been vegan for the past year or two. But now with the new " Just Egg". options, Im planning on doing a " Breakfast for Dinner". She was actually excited cause she loves breakfast food. So , Ill make an omelet, some home fries and other breakfast type stuff .

Just did an Egg foo young last week with the Just Eggs and was really good. Now that I know I am capable of doing it, ill give the above recipe a try ( minus the shrimp ), and look into other egg- like things that I haven't had the opportunity to make in awhile.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I love eggs every way possible. I grew up having eggs for dinner - especially on Fridays!! One of my favorite meals that my mother made was simple fried eggs and "jonny cakes" with butter and maple syrup. Sadly, my husband is not an egg eater - he will tolerate a scrambled at breakfast but that is it.

That recipe looks yummy - I might be able to sneak that on in - lol. Do they come out the thickness of pancakes or are they thicker like a fish cake?
eparys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

You know how I feel about eggs (yolks, anyway). We have eggs for dinner from time to time. If you check out the dinner thread from Saturday, you see 3 of us had some egg as part of their dinner.

Last night we had poached eggs on corned beef hash. On the times we have a frittata or omelets. If carbonara counts, there's that too.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Love eggs most anytime.. Poached eggs on buttered toast is my go to comfort dinner choice..

and Egg Foo Yung... Love this but lost my great recipe, somehow..

Shout out to Kayelle.. That 2010 recipes is just what I need...

Ross
Old 09-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I often eat breakfast for dinner. And that usually include eggs.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Sadly, DH is not a fan of eggs, so no quiche or omelettes for dinner here. On the bright side, he's very good at cooking them for breakfast - in fact, he's making me eggs Benedict right now
Old 09-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Funny how one views a statement.

If someone mentions 'eggs for a meal' I think of an omelette, scrambled, fried, poached, etc. The egg has to be the centre of the meal. A Quiche, although a big ingredient is egg, it is more about what is mixed with the egg, so therefore I don't think of it an "egg dish" per se.

You may serve Deviled Eggs with your meal but it isn't THE meal.

So a meal with an egg dropped on top, such as the hash dish mentioned, is HASH with an egg. Not EGG with hash.
I wouldn't count Carbonara an egg dish nor Cesear Salad, even tho they both have an egg in it. Muffins and cakes have eggs in them but are not 'egg dishes'.
Does any of that make sense?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post

If someone mentions 'eggs for a meal' I think of an omelette, scrambled, fried, poached, etc. The egg has to be the centre of the meal. A Quiche, although a big ingredient is egg, it is more about what is mixed with the egg, so therefore I don't think of it an "egg dish" per se.

So a meal with an egg dropped on top, such as the hash dish mentioned, is HASH with an egg. Not EGG with hash.
I wouldn't count Carbonara an egg dish nor Cesear Salad, even tho they both have an egg in it. Muffins and cakes have eggs in them but are not 'egg dishes'.
It does.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post

I agree with most of that, but I think of quiche as an egg dish because eggs are the primary ingredient and you can see and taste them easily. It's like a stuffed omelette in a crust.

I don't consider carbonara an egg dish, though. There, the pasta is the primary ingredient and the egg is part of the sauce. So for me, it's an egg dish if the eggs are the primary ingredient and you can obviously see them.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks so much for the kind words about this recipe friends!
I was a real newbie when I first posted it in 2010 and we continue to have it for dinner often. Souschef does the cooking for this, and I become his souschef for a change. Winner!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Imagine this. If my favorite "eggs for supper" dish is soft boiled eggs on toast. The challenges that must be overcome to achieve this simple dish. Boil and simmer precisely 5.5 minutes. Rinse under cold water just long enough to handle the eggs. Juggle without dropping. Crack and peel without breaking the eggs. Put back in the hot water pan if the eggs get too cool. Gently roll them around on a paper towel to dry, again without breaking. Make hot buttered toast with your free arm. Place eggs on one slice toast. Now it's ok to break and let the yolks run out.

Now imagine why I find it easier to make a quiche or a baked egg casserole.// Or even egg salad sammies.

AND why I've never attempted to make eggs foo yung. Well, a couple reasons actually. The man who owns our favorite Chinese take out recent retired. Apparently his grandson who took over failed to learn the art of how to properly make eggs foo yung. What were once high, light and with gravy that was kissed with flavor are now burned on the bottom, often dry and can one actually buy canned sauce,? It has taken on a weird flavor.

Dx is out of town this weekend. Just wait until I let her know about KL's /SousChef's recipe and Cheryl's thoughts and input. I think we may be back to having eggs foo yung for dinner again. Bonus. Our Chinese take out never put shrimp inside, just veggies.

Thanks Eric for sharing this recipe secret!
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I believe that comes under the heading of different strokes for different folks..

I love cooking poached eggs and don't eat quiche..

Ross
Old 09-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #15
Master Chef

When I was young and my pockets were empty fried egg sandwiches with a squirt of ketchup on white toast were standard fare.

These days it would be upgraded to fried peppers, onions, and eggs or broccoli and eggs, hold the toast.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my favs is okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki

It doesn't have to be that complicated. That was from back when I got to spend a lot of time playing in the kitchen. Nice thing about it, is good cold too.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Shakshuka is another one of my favourites.

Here's a link to a good recipe. I wing mine, but this is close. Except I add more heat.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Shaksh...NAPCR&crslsl=0
Old 09-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Eggs for dinner is common at my place. Breakfast is always great but a gussied up egg salad sandwich is also a nice change.

Egg salad on open faced toasted roll
Egg salad rolled in a tortilla (wrap style) - add a slice of ham and some cilantro and lettuce.
Egg salad sandwich with sprouts

and my personal favorite:

Egg salad on toasted wheat with sliced tomatoes, lettuce and pickle chips. potato chips and carrot sticks on the side....

YUM!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Eggs for dinner is common at my place. Breakfast is always great...
Same here.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #20
Master Chef

Frittata or Spanish tortilla, with a side of home fries make great dinners.

Tags
egg, eggs, supper