"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Eggs ( in or out of the fridge)

Do you keep your eggs in or out of the fridge? I keep 6 out of the fridge and the rest on the bottom shelf of the fridge( where raw food goes).
When you boil them do you boil them from cold or from boiling water?

Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I keep them in the fridge, but bring them to room temp before cooking.

For boiling, I always start with room temp eggs and cold water.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I always keep all my eggs in the fridge (the main part). I always thought they would go bad if you kept them outside :)
Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I never, never store my eggs out of the refrigerator. Too much risk of spoiling, especially in the warmer months. Our house isn't air-conditioned and the temps here get to and stay in the 90s or higher from June through late September. I'd end up with near-boiled eggs.

It's just not safe. Eggshells are made up of tons and tons of tiny pores, which are tiny doors waiting for "uglies" to walk through.

In the refrigerator, I keep mine in the carton they came in from the store/market and then on the lower shelf of the refrigerator, which is almost the coldest part.

When I boil them, I take them directly from the refrigerator, cover with cold water to at least 1 inch over, then boil them.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I keep all my eggs in the fridge, when I bake, I take what I need out in the morning to get to room temp.. When I boil eggs ( fresh ones don't peel as easily)put in pan - cover w/cold water bring to boil with your lid on. If you have an electric stove as I, turn off heat, leave on burner for twenty mins. drain and run cold water over them.
Done !
Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
I keep all my eggs in the fridge, when I bake, I take what I need out in the morning to get to room temp.. When I boil eggs ( fresh ones don't peel as easily)put in pan - cover w/cold water bring to boil with your lid on. If you have an electric stove as I, turn off heat, leave on burner for twenty mins. drain and run cold water over them.
Done !
How long do you do yours for a nice soft boiled egg?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

I put eggs out if I have need of them like making muffins. I keep them stored in their carton on the middle shelf beside the wall. That is where they are safe from getting crushed.

I put my cold eggs in a pan of cold water and turn the burner on medium. Eventually it comes to a boil with no cracks. I slow boil for about 15 minutes and then leave the eggs in the hot water until it is warm. They are easier to peel when they cool down this way.

Is it better to fry eggs at room temperature? I know they scramble better at room temperature. I usually break them into a bowl while I am fixing other things and the yolks blend better than when they are frigid cold.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Eggs spoil 7 times faster at room temperature than at fridge temps. In other words, they do a week's worth of aging in a day. I see no reason to keep eggs out of the fridge. If you need room temp eggs for a recipe, then just take theat many out for the recipe.

I start cold eggs in hot tap water, bring it to a boil, boil for 10 minutes and move them to ice water.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Sous Chef

According to this link, eggs should come out of the fridge about 20 mins before use.
egg recipes - beginners, quick meals, slimming, entertaining, cooking tips
Old 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Master Chef

I always keep all my eggs in the fridge. It's just not worth the risk of spoilage/illness.

In fact, when I used to raise chickens, during the spring/summer I'd collect eggs 3-4 times a day to get them out of the warm temps & refrigerated asap. Since I also had a rooster, this made constant collection even more important!!

Tags
None