Evaporated milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not checked out the website but I use it a lot in rice puddings. I make mine with cooked rice, sugar, 2 cans of evaporated milk, 1 can of condensed milk, tsp of cardamom powder, slivers of unsalted pistachios and almonds and some saffron. You cook all of this until it's nice and thick.

You can eat this warm or chilled.

Thanks Yakuta :D I can't tell you how much my husband loves rice puddings while I'm not attracted to them one bit! So I'd love to try your recipe, do you mind sharing it please? Also do you think I can make it in smaller quantities?

Pancake my version of rice pudding is probably a bit exotic for your husband. Itt does not have eggs and is not baked like the versions made here. I can however attest to the taste and the fact that it is so delicious that whenever I make it is all gone in no time. I have included the recipe below.

Cooked rice - 1 1/4 cups
2 cans evaporated milk
1/2 cup of regular milk (whole or 2 percent is fine)
1 can of condensed milk
1 tsp of ground cardamom ( I highly recommend finding this and using it, it's easily available in Middle Eastern or Indian stores). Cinnamon is not a good substitute for it.
some threads of saffron - I use a healthy pinch (yes it's expensive but for me it's a basic pantry item. I use it in rice, soups, desserts and a little goes a long way)
1/4 cup of chopped unsalted pistachios and almonds (unroasted kind)
Handful of golden raisins (optional)

In a nice thick bottom saucepan, pour in all the milks and stir in the rice and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat and then cook it stirring it constantly for about 30 minutes. Now using a handblender, blend some of the rice grains in the milk (the intent is to get a creamy texture not grainy rice). Now add the cardamom powder and saffron, chopped nuts, raisins and stir to combine. Cook for another 5 minutes and then let it cool.

You can place a saran wrap on it's surface to avoid it from forming a skin. Once cool you can eat it as is or you can refrigerate and let it cool (in my house we like it chilled). Once chilled pour in serving bowls and top with some ground pistachios (gives it such a pretty green color) and serve.

Sorry pancake forgot to address the quantity question. I personally think that the recipe I gave you is not a large quantity because once all of this cooks down you don't have a lot but yes you can halve the recipe if you'd like to try it out first.

Also I am not an exacting kind of a cook, I normally pay attention to the taste, texture and overall feel when I am preparing something and make modifications that fancy me. For example if the mixture is too thick you can add more regular milk, I don't blend the rice completely but just enough so there are no large grains in the milk but they are not completey a mush.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Yakuta thank you thank you for sharing your recipe :) I can't wait to give it a try.. you know maybe I'll like it more for not having the eggs in it!
I'm so happy you actually specified about the cinnamon because frankly it's the first thing that came up to my mind :oops: I have cardamom whole, I guess it's ok to grind it like? Is it ground with the outer peel or only those inner black seeds? I hope I'll love your recipe, I'm sure mu husband will :D I'll try half of it first & let you know.. Just help me with the cardamom .. last time please :oops:
Thanks & have a great weekend!

Hi Pancake you have to use just the inner black seeds of the cardamom.

I normally grind it in a small food processor. So you take a handful of cardamom, peel the outershells and collect the seeds. Then you can grind it. While you are grinding it. It looks like it's flying everywhere inside the processor but it is grinding. It does not need to be completely powdered just half crushed is O.K.

Another way to grind it is using the old fashion mortar and pestle.

Another hint I can give you is to grind it along with a handful of pistachios and almonds. The nuts act as an abrasive and you get a nice powdered mix that you can add to your rice pudding for added richness and aroma.

Perfect !!! thank you very much Yakuta :D Most probably I'll make this for sunday morning breakfast & I'll let you know:)

Good morning Yakuta:)

I'd like to thank you & give you the feedback on your delicious recipe :
I made exactly half the recipe, used just a little less than 1/2 t. cardamom ( i was too scared it smelled so strong when I was grinding it,lol) and chilled it overnight for sunday morning.
My husband LOVED it!! he gobbled it all up in a blink ;) loved all the flavors & thought it's different form the regular rice puddings.. As for me, I actually ate it :D I liked the fact that rice wasn't grainy& tickling in my throat (eww)!! so creamy and rich.
I would definately reccomend it!!
I'm also thinking of making variations with it as a basic recipe, do you think that's possible? I have some fresh strawberries I got on sale, can it be cooked along with the milks? Or better off folded in at the end? I'm getting into rice pudding finally! My husband is so happy!
Thanks Yakuta :D

Apple Cinnamon Pecan Cake

Yield: 1 serving
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspo baking powder
1 teaspo ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspo ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspo vanilla extract
2/3 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat Milk
3 cup baking apples
3/4 cup pecans
powdered sugar

Procedures
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
COMBINE flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl. Beat granulated sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until smooth. Alternately beat in flour mixture and evaporated milk. Stir in apples and nuts. Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
BAKE for 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes. Cut into bars. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Hi Pancake, so glad you tried and provided honest feedback. Sometimes it's easy to be biased because it's a staple in your house and culture so I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Yeah cardamom is a strong spice and it's an acquired taste in desserts. Indians use it in icecreams as well.

To answer your question about fruit addition, you can absolutely do this. Actually some of the different things you can add to this rice pudding are:

Grated apple
Grated carrots
Chopped fruits (assorted chopped fruits can be stirred in once the pudding is chilled - You can use chopped strawberries, soft pears and sweet orange segments)

If you are using grated apple or carrots add them during the last 10 minutes of the cooking process.

It actually tastes very good with carrots and apple.

Yakuta said:
Hi Pancake, so glad you tried and provided honest feedback. Sometimes it's easy to be biased because it's a staple in your house and culture so I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Yeah cardamom is a strong spice and it's an acquired taste in desserts. Indians use it in icecreams as well.

I love trying new things. My mom always made food from all over the world & we were always surrounded by differnt flavors. Your recipe just brought back that unique taste we normally miss with traditional meals.

I think next time: apple it is!! So soothing & melt in your mouth with that cardamom in the background, yummy!! Can't wait till next sunday breakfast :D
Is it too selfish to ask for the cardamom ice-cream recipe :oops:
Thanks for all the help!

Pancake the recipe for the icecream is very rich and has similar ingredients to the rice pudding. The version I make uses some easy to find ingredients and is easy to put together. It's called "Kulfi"

Here it goes:

Hand Blender is an absolute must for this recipe

2 cans evaporated milk
8 oz cool whip
1 can condensed milk
couple of healthy pinches of saffron (put the strands in a microwave proof dish and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so). Let it cool
1/2 tsp of cardamom powder
pinch of salt
Finel chopped nuts (blanched almonds and pistachios) (about a cup). I actually finely grind mine in a food processor

In a large plastic freezer safe container add the evaporated milk, cool whip and condensed milk, salt and cardmom powder. Blend it using the hand blender until everything is nicely incorporated. Now crumble the saffron in this blended mix and also fold in the nuts.

Stir to combine.

Cover the container and place it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Remove and stir to break any ice crystals. Place a saran wrap on the surface of the mixture, cover and freeze overnight.

Remove it 15 minutes prior to serving. The texture of this icecream is extremely rich and creamy. The cool whip adds the creamy element and the nuts, cardamom and saffron kick it up to a more exotic variety.

Yakuta, I just wanted to compliment you on your postings.

I've noticed that your recipes for exotic-to-me foods are always easy to understand and follow, and you are very good about following up with clear explanations.

Bravo!

Yakuta, thanks again for the "kulfi". I can imagine how creamy it is with that cool whip :D I'll finely grind the nuts too so all bites will have that nutty flavor, I hate it when you eat something & the taste isn't uniform.
Will be making this over the weekend, probably serve it next week when we crave for rice pudding ;)

mudbug said:
Yakuta, I just wanted to compliment you on your postings.

I've noticed that your recipes for exotic-to-me foods are always easy to understand and follow, and you are very good about following up with clear explanations.

Bravo!

Perfectly said mudbug :D I'd like to add a compliment for her generosity & love for sharing.

Mudbug, Pancake, thank you both for your kind words. Cooking and food is where my passion lies so it's my distinct pleasure to share these.

Um, would you all mind posting the size can of the evaporated milk? The large can is now 12 ounces, but it started out at 16 ounces, shrinking an ounce or two at a time over a period of years, no doubt "so we don't have to raise the price" (!@#?!@ :evil: !!). Small can started out at 8 oz, is now--I think--5 oz.

Don't get me started on the 1001 other products that have had the same thing done to them . . .

On a more cheerful note :D : evap milk can be whipped like whipping cream; just chill in freezer until mushy and treat it like whipping cream. Works better if bowl and beaters are chilled along with the evap.

Hi leigh, the cans I have all are 12 oz.. :eek: I love the whipped evapourated milk idea, definately not the same taste but much lower in fat :D
Thanks!

Whipped Topping Using Nestlé Carnation Evaporated Milk

Yield: 4.5 cups
1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Procedures
1 POUR evaporated milk into small mixer bowl; place beaters into mixture.
2 Freeze for about 30 minutes or until ice crystals form around edge of bowl.
3 BEAT on high speed for 1 minute or until very frothy.
4 Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating for 2 minutes or until mixture is stiff.
5 Serve immediately spooned over fresh fruit or your favorite dessert.
6 VARIATIONS
7 For Whipped Topping using NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat or Evaporated Fat Free Milk, substitute evaporated lowfat milk or evaporated fat free milk for evaporated milk.
8 Substitute 1 tablespoon lemon juice for vanilla extract; follow recipe for Whipped Topping.
9 For Whipped NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk that holds up to 30 minutes: Sprinkle 1 teaspoon gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in small, microwave-safe bowl; let stand for 2 minutes.
10 Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 40 seconds; stir.
11 Let stand for additional 2 minutes or until dissolved.
12 Pour 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk or Evaporated Fat Free Milk and dissolved gelatin into small mixer bowl; follow recipe for Whipped Topping.
13 Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes

Back
Top Bottom