"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #31
Head Chef

Hi Pancake, so glad you tried and provided honest feedback. Sometimes it's easy to be biased because it's a staple in your house and culture so I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Yeah cardamom is a strong spice and it's an acquired taste in desserts. Indians use it in icecreams as well.

To answer your question about fruit addition, you can absolutely do this. Actually some of the different things you can add to this rice pudding are:

Grated apple
Grated carrots
Chopped fruits (assorted chopped fruits can be stirred in once the pudding is chilled - You can use chopped strawberries, soft pears and sweet orange segments)

If you are using grated apple or carrots add them during the last 10 minutes of the cooking process.

It actually tastes very good with carrots and apple.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Hi Pancake, so glad you tried and provided honest feedback. Sometimes it's easy to be biased because it's a staple in your house and culture so I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Yeah cardamom is a strong spice and it's an acquired taste in desserts. Indians use it in icecreams as well.
I love trying new things. My mom always made food from all over the world & we were always surrounded by differnt flavors. Your recipe just brought back that unique taste we normally miss with traditional meals.

I think next time: apple it is!! So soothing & melt in your mouth with that cardamom in the background, yummy!! Can't wait till next sunday breakfast :D
Is it too selfish to ask for the cardamom ice-cream recipe :oops:
Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #33
Head Chef

Pancake the recipe for the icecream is very rich and has similar ingredients to the rice pudding. The version I make uses some easy to find ingredients and is easy to put together. It's called "Kulfi"

Here it goes:

Hand Blender is an absolute must for this recipe

2 cans evaporated milk
8 oz cool whip
1 can condensed milk
couple of healthy pinches of saffron (put the strands in a microwave proof dish and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so). Let it cool
1/2 tsp of cardamom powder
pinch of salt
Finel chopped nuts (blanched almonds and pistachios) (about a cup). I actually finely grind mine in a food processor

In a large plastic freezer safe container add the evaporated milk, cool whip and condensed milk, salt and cardmom powder. Blend it using the hand blender until everything is nicely incorporated. Now crumble the saffron in this blended mix and also fold in the nuts.

Stir to combine.

Cover the container and place it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Remove and stir to break any ice crystals. Place a saran wrap on the surface of the mixture, cover and freeze overnight.

Remove it 15 minutes prior to serving. The texture of this icecream is extremely rich and creamy. The cool whip adds the creamy element and the nuts, cardamom and saffron kick it up to a more exotic variety.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Yakuta, I just wanted to compliment you on your postings.

I've noticed that your recipes for exotic-to-me foods are always easy to understand and follow, and you are very good about following up with clear explanations.

Bravo!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Yakuta, thanks again for the "kulfi". I can imagine how creamy it is with that cool whip :D I'll finely grind the nuts too so all bites will have that nutty flavor, I hate it when you eat something & the taste isn't uniform.
Will be making this over the weekend, probably serve it next week when we crave for rice pudding
Old 01-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Yakuta, I just wanted to compliment you on your postings.

I've noticed that your recipes for exotic-to-me foods are always easy to understand and follow, and you are very good about following up with clear explanations.

Bravo!
Perfectly said mudbug :D I'd like to add a compliment for her generosity & love for sharing.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #37
Head Chef

Mudbug, Pancake, thank you both for your kind words. Cooking and food is where my passion lies so it's my distinct pleasure to share these.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Um, would you all mind posting the size can of the evaporated milk? The large can is now 12 ounces, but it started out at 16 ounces, shrinking an ounce or two at a time over a period of years, no doubt "so we don't have to raise the price" (!@#?!@ !!). Small can started out at 8 oz, is now--I think--5 oz.

Don't get me started on the 1001 other products that have had the same thing done to them . . .

On a more cheerful note :D : evap milk can be whipped like whipping cream; just chill in freezer until mushy and treat it like whipping cream. Works better if bowl and beaters are chilled along with the evap.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Hi leigh, the cans I have all are 12 oz.. :o I love the whipped evapourated milk idea, definately not the same taste but much lower in fat :D
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Whipped Topping Using Nestlé Carnation Evaporated Milk

Yield: 4.5 cups
1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Procedures
1 POUR evaporated milk into small mixer bowl; place beaters into mixture.
2 Freeze for about 30 minutes or until ice crystals form around edge of bowl.
3 BEAT on high speed for 1 minute or until very frothy.
4 Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating for 2 minutes or until mixture is stiff.
5 Serve immediately spooned over fresh fruit or your favorite dessert.
6 VARIATIONS
7 For Whipped Topping using NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat or Evaporated Fat Free Milk, substitute evaporated lowfat milk or evaporated fat free milk for evaporated milk.
8 Substitute 1 tablespoon lemon juice for vanilla extract; follow recipe for Whipped Topping.
9 For Whipped NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk that holds up to 30 minutes: Sprinkle 1 teaspoon gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in small, microwave-safe bowl; let stand for 2 minutes.
10 Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 40 seconds; stir.
11 Let stand for additional 2 minutes or until dissolved.
12 Pour 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk or Evaporated Fat Free Milk and dissolved gelatin into small mixer bowl; follow recipe for Whipped Topping.
13 Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes

Tags
None