"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-07-2005, 05:43 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
make a custard.

if i were you i would use those eggs to challenge my friends to an egg yolk eating contest lol.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Sarah, would you consider posting that recipe? Maybe in desserts? Under cakes? I would love to have it. I bet it is wonderful on chocolate cake.
i've posted that recipe a long time ago with the name "lemon torte",was just looking for it,but its not there now,i'm sending it again under "cakes" in desserts...

Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #23
Everymom

Found it sarah! Thanks so much!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #24
Head Chef

This is a pretty good mayo recipe from Alton Brown. I like the lemon flavor added to it

1 egg yolk*
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you?ve got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week. *RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of food poisoning.... Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell?

Here is a hot custard recipe that is good over warmed pound cake. We have been eating this for years. It is a family favorite. This can be reheated.

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. flour
pinch salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 t. vanilla
lump butter

Scald milk and let cool to warm.

Combine sugar, flour, salt and beaten egg.

Very gradually add to warm milk and heat over double boiler.

Continue cooking until thick, stirring constantly. (spoon inserted in custard should come our well coated)

After cooking, add vanilla and butter

Enjoy

Tags
None