Extra eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
we've got 2 cartons, & i'm uncertain what to cook besides scrambled eggs, omelets, hollandaise. don't want to throw them out.

Try par boiling asparagus, then lay them flat in a glass dish, add some milk, butter, hard boiled eggs, and cheese. It's like the mac and cheese, but with asparagus and eggs :)

Float test the suckers-------if they still lie on the bottom of a container and don't float they are still great to go. If they float toss them. Animals love eggs and it's great for their coats as well. So you can always cook them for any dogs or cats that you own. And as pdswife suggests deviled eggs or egg salad are great. Also egg foo yung which uses egg as a basic ingredient--healthy and easy to make.

Might be an oppertunity to do some baking for a local charity group/hospital/hospice or old people's home. Simple sponges usually go doen well with people who have know home baking any more.

Fritata, courgettes are my current favourite, and with onions: great for lunch boxes etc.

As I mentioned a while back, my new favorite breakfast is an egg in a frame, or bullseye, or one eyed jack, or any other name for an egg put in a hole that's cut in the center of a piece of bread and cooked like a grilled cheese sandwich. I just finished one. I need to get a bigger non-stick pan so I can cook more than one at a time...
I also like hardboiled eggs and will cook them before the expiration date runs out and snack on them. No, I don't like hardboiled eggs, I love them.

As a matter of fact I'm picking up some wood this week and starting a chicken coop so I can have fresh eggs and a steady supply!

I always have two or three dozen eggs in the fridge. I need them for so many things, baking, and always making deviled eggs. Macaroni salad, hard boiled for my salads or just to snack on . They do keep a very long time I wouldn't worry about them.

the spinache quiche I made yesterday calls for 3 eggs.

SPINACH QUICHE
1) Cook 1 package of frozen spinach according to package directions and drain well.
2) Shred 1 cup of cheddar cheese and mix with drained spinach. I also added some minced garlic
3) Place mixture in 1 pre-baked deep dish pie shell.
4) In separate bowl mix 3 eggs, 1 tbsp. flour with salt and pepper to taste.
5) Add 1 cup milk and mix together.
6) Pour over spinach and cheese mixture in pie shell.
7) Bake 45 mins. to 1 hr. at 350 degrees.

I've always heard that properly refrigerated, eggs keep up to 3 months.

I buy eggs 60 at a time, or two flats. With five kids, that's the only way to go. I can usually get 2 - 3 weeks out of that, before I run out.

How about a Bacon, Vidalia, and cheese Quiche? I've been wanting to make one for days now, but my work schedule barely leaves me enough time to make a quick dinner.

Oooh - I second a nice platter of Deviled Eggs!! With that many you can experiment & make several different fillings!!

You can have them as a snack or appetizer, top salads with them, serve a couple as an entree side dish. . . .

Can you tell I love Deviled Eggs? Lol!!

lots of great ideas here, but what's your hurry? Unless you've had them hanging around for a month or so, they should be fine right where they are.

Eggs are still fine long after the exparation day. They can seat in refrigerator for weeks and weeks.

I wanted to say quiche, quiche, quiche - but legend 'beat' me to it. :chef:

How about quiche? :rolleyes: - asparagus, swiss cheese, a pinch o' nutmeg. You can toss almost anything in it you have around (broccoli, cheddar, bacon, etc,)

Frittata - or if you like eggs & potatoes - Tortilla Espanola (I posted a recipe on this site - searchy)

Souffle - Basic, Cheese, Seafood

Chocolate Souffle

Recipe: Chocolate Souffle

Chocolate Mousse (There are a few good ones in the link above

Taco Salad

Eggstra Easy Taco Salad

Nicoise

There are lots of yummy egg recipes here:

Main Dishes

If you have a few good eggs left, how about Carbonara.

There's an egg custard recipe, I saved waaay back. If your interested, give a holler.

I found one that looks more interesting than mine:
Egg Custard

Last edited:
Scramble eggs freeze very well. But do not freeze raw eggs. Once in a while everyone will have extra eggs in the refrigerator. (buy 1 get one free offers).

Like lulu suggested, if you do not want to deal with them and they are fresh, give them away. Your local food banks will accept them if they have a reasonable expiration date. Gardeners also give much needed fresh produce to the food banks.

I had a lot of eggs so I decided to hard boil them and then I put them through an egg slicer and diced them up and put 2 Cups of them in a quart freezer bag and froze them. Turned out that they are really great for stews, soups or what ever you all make with eggs in it. Potato salad and all other kinds of salad. I how ever would not use them for egg salad.

Flan, Macaroons, Lemon meringue pie

Flan Recipe

Ingredients:
4 eggs
4 egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 c. whole milk
2 T. vanilla extract
additional 1/2 c. sugar

Directions:
325 degree oven
Cook 1/2 c. sugar over medium flame until dissolved and light brown. QUICKLY pour into 9" round pan & swirl to coat bottom (don't worry if it doesn't cover all of it-it will melt & spread as it cooks) BE CAREFUL not to drip any hot sugar on you!
Beat eggs & yolks together.add 3/4 c. sugar beat another minute or so
and milks and vanilla beat until frothy
Pour over caramel
Place in a dish with water halfway up outside of pan
Bake 1-1 1/2 hours until knife in center comes out clean
Cool, refrigerate at least 4 hours
To serve, run a knife along edge & invert onto a large plate

How about a bread pudding?
Custard pudding?
Ham, chicken, tuna, potato, or just plain egg salad?
Pickled eggs?
Scoth eggs?
Creamed eggs over toast?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom