"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Farm Fresh Eggs

Whenever possible, I buy eggs from a neighbor down the road. They're great but I've noticed that the yolk is a darker "orange" color and the white seems thicker. I've never had any problems, just wondered what causes the difference?

Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Master Chef

Damp, I don't know why, but I've had the same thing--for about 6 months of the year, I belong to an organic farm co-op. We get weekly shares of produce and a dozen eggs. The eggs always have darker--almost orange-- yolks compared to grocery store eggs. They taste much richer, too.

I remember seeing a Martha Stewart segment on how her chickens lay eggs with differently shaded shells (cream, white, hint of green or gray, etc) depending on what she feeds them. Maybe the type and quality of feed have something to do with it?

Old 01-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef

That makes sense. The eggs I get have a brown/muave colored shell similar to what you see in the store but just tastes better. Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I live about six miles from the Buckeye Egg Farms, a MASSIVE complex that's scattered over two counties and when the wind blows just right, PHEW! Hold your nose!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #4

Farm eggs, where the chickens are not always confined are a deeper yellow yolk due to the varied diet the chickens have.

The chickens have a chance to scavenge for bugs, grass, grain, etc. This rich natural diet changes the yolk color.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

CC beat me to it - the diet changes the color of the yolk. The breed of chicken determines the color of the eggshells.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks ladies, nice to know I have a quality egg! :D
Old 01-06-2005, 04:07 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I think feeding chickens corn especially gives it a richer yolk colour. Mmm, corn fed chicken yielding corn-fed eggs.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:49 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Chickens that get yellow or orange flower petals in their diet produce those deep yellow yolks. These flowers contain a substance called xanophyll or something like that, I'm not recalling the exact word, and that's what contributes the rich color.

Long ago in an animal husbandry course, the instructor told us that the dark yellow or orangey-yellow yolks are not superior to pale yellow ones nutritionally, nor do they cause an improvement in flavor. But I've always had my doubts about the latter.

As for the thick whites, that's all good. It means the eggs are very fresh.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
Master Chef

While living in Spokane, I had Cornish Cross chickens. i was told that they produced large, more meaty chickens, but that the egg production would not be as good as with other breeds. We always had more eggs than we knew what to do with. The chickens were very large. We fed them grain feed, starch water from when we made fresh flour from Whole Wheat, and they caught insects, mice, or whatever little critter happened to invade the coupe. I once saw these hens go after a live rat that came by from the forest. It was dead and eaten in a matter of seconds, literally.

My hens were not fed corn, nor any blossoms with yellow petals. And yet, the yolks were a deerp orange/yellow color, and the eggs were large and firm, with an all-white shell.

I have to think, based on experience with these chickens, that the varied diet, increased exercise, and subnsequent improved health contributed to the quality and flavor of both the eggs, and the chickens.

But I am not a proficient farmer, and haven't had chickens in a very long time. So this is based on memory, and not very scientific observations. Take with a grain of salt.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Ooooh, rat-killing chickens! Maybe we should alert inner-city officials of this - could solve two problems at once - provide a food source for low income families, and get rid of the rat problems! :)

Tags
None