"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-13-2004, 05:38 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
goat cheese is great

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:36 AM   #32
Senior Cook

My hubby and I often sit on the patio and eat goat cheese, Stilton, brie and other soft cheeses as well as, muenster, Parmesan and Monchego on Triskets or hard crusted fresh french baguette slices with a glass or two of port wine. The soft cheeses stay the same but we vary the hard cheeses to try other kinds and it just doesn't get any better. The Italians have a way of eating Parmesan that is soooooo good. Slice off small chunks of Parmesan and drizzle them with honey, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Ohhhhh those Italians.......

Old 09-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

I love most cheeses, but really do not like a lot of the soft cheeses. I love hard cheeses like parm regiano and cheddars etc. I also love jarlsberg as that is what I grew up putting on my bagels :)

I am willing to try any cheese at least once. I really don't think I could or would want to live without cheese.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #34
Master Chef

To a true cheese love, this is a tough one. I'd probably go with Edam and Gouda (not smoked), but .... lord, what a choice. I love blue, especially if it is a little on the hard side so it goes well in salads or on top of pasta. I love .... brother!!! I've only met two I didn't like, limburger and there's one here that I cannot remember the name of (I believe brought here by German immigrants many years ago). Too smelly to get near, for me. We try to visit dairy stores in the area (big cheese making area) and buy the stronger cheeses because sadly, many of those who make something besides rubber mozzerella for the pizza industry go out of business fast. We seek them out and buy their oldest, strongest cheeses, hoping to keep them going with our little efforts!! The fact is, though, that for grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese I love Kraft deli deluxe -- NO INDIVIDUAL WRAPPERS PLEASE, once they do that the flavor is lost, don't ask me why. But making a choice? With a salad, chevre. With pasta, asiago, parm, romano; with ......
Old 09-13-2004, 06:08 PM   #35
Certified Executive Chef

Cheese

After reading through everyone's favorites I found I left out numerous other cheese that did not come to mind: havarti, gouda, reggiano, fontina, sharp cheddar, provolone, smoked Benton, really all of the above that has been posted. Let's have a cheese, wine, grape, crustini tasting party..

:roll: GO DUCKS
Old 09-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Fresh Mozzarella. Yum!!! And many others.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #37
Senior Cook

manchego (sp) and quince paste... what an awesome combo. gotta try it. with a nice spanish wine, wow.
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncook
manchego (sp) and quince paste... what an awesome combo. gotta try it. with a nice spanish wine, wow.
Okay, I've got the Manchego and the Spanish wine, now where do I get the quince paste?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I live in a mid size city, and we have a small gourmet market that gets it for me. If you live near a Central market, or Whole foods, they'll have it, but any large city market should be able to get it for you. It's worth the effort to go online as well, as it is one of the most common Spanish Tapa's, end to a meal. Good luck! It's also called membrillo. You can get it a chefshop.com.
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #40

sounds good southerncook. I would love to go to a real spanish tapas bar one day. Sampling all kinds of small appetizer-type dishes and drinking wine, sounds like heaven!

Tags
None