"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Favorite Omelette?

I'm making a special brunch in the morning, and I was planning on omelettes, because it is only the two of us, and it seems like the easiest way to put a bunch of different ingredients in one dish.
So I'm wondering, what is your favorite omelette? Favorite add ins?

I don't eat meat, and he won't eat fruit - so that makes my menu planning kind of hard, any other ideas for a light brunch for the two of us?

Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
spinach, goats cheese, roasted red peppers, and if you will eat seafood, jumbo lump crab, if not, then add some portabella mushrooms.

just my $.02

Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Swiss cheese, fresh mushrooms, and crumbled bacon.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Sous Chef

How about some sliced portabella mushrooms, diced tomatoes, chopped parsely, diced sweet peppers and shredded montery jack cheese?

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
Head Chef

Could make a 'pizza' omelet with cheese,onions, peppers, 'shrooms (any kind, your choice), olives (black or your choice) and cover with a a pizza sauce (or any tomato sauce).

Or can make the lazy man's omelet, the frittata. It is ridiculously simple to prepare, the toughest part about the dish to me is remembering where the double 't' is put. Actually I usually prefer a frittata to the omelet because it can be served at room temperature or easily reheated (nuked).

You can toss any veggies you want in them, from asparagus to zucchini.

And any cheese, almost always incorporate cheese.

Could make a Spanish tortilla, which is a version of the frittata (THOSE PESKY T'S AGAIN) but I cannot resist tossing in more stuff than the obligatory potatoes and onions. And so I wind up with a frittata, sorta.

Or try a pseudo Asian dish, the egg foo young. Basically an omelet-frittata-Spanish tortilla concoction with, oh, sprouts, water chestnuts, green onions, anything you wish. Can make a sauce to go over it (a veggie based one), just Google for recipe.

Have just hit upon egg dishes with savory ingredients, but can also incorporate sweet stuff into them, including jams and preserves.

Just a few ideas in the very early part of the morning when I am trying to come to terms with the fact that it is easier for me to make a frittata than spell the darn thing.

Enjoy.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

One of my favorites, very simple - hash brown w/melted cheese omelette. brown and cook hash browns, then add to omelette with cheese. Love em'
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Master Chef

Although you can pretty much put anything & everything into an omelette, my favorites are:

Spanish (sauteed peppers (any color), onions, & diced fresh tomato or tomato sauce)

Western (sauteed peppers (any color), onions, ham, & cheddar or American cheese) (You could just leave out the ham if you wished).

Swiss Cheese & Mushroom (sauteed - any type)

Feta Cheese & Spinach (sauteed)

Cheese (any type)
Old 02-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My fave is spinach, goat cheese and mushroom

I'm also partial to green chile, cheddar and diced ham.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I like omelettes with mushrooms, bacon and casserole blend shredded cheese. I added a bit of salsa a while back and it was pretty good.

~Ali
Old 03-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

This omelette is so great for a special breakfast. I normally make a quiche with it but I have made it as an omelette and it's equally good.

Raw shrimps (chopped roughly)
broccoli cut into small florets
sweet onion finely chopped
freshly chopped parsley
lots of mild cheddar cheese
eggs
salt, pepper
splash of milk
1/2 tbps of flour

Beat the eggs, milk and flour until light and fluffy. Stir in the salt and peper and cheese and reserve.

Saute the onions, broccoli in butter, add the shrimps and cook for 1/2 a minute. Pour the eggs and sprinkle parsley.

I like to serve it with a nice fresh fruit salad, coffee and some juice.

Tags
None