"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
Cook

My choice is Eggs Benedict. I very rarely fix this at home due to the effort; primarily with the Hollandaise sauce. I don’t often order this in a restaurant because they seldom seem to get it right.

I think texture is an important part of food enjoyment. Liquid yolk and Hollandaise sauce are complemented by the crisp toasted English muffin. My son used to cringe when I ordered Eggs Benedict because he knew there was a good chance I would be upset with the quality. I sent back my Benedict three times at a restaurant at Walt Disney World because the yolks were like a hard boiled egg. The chef finally came out and brought my breakfast with his apologies. It was done correctly.

A local breakfast place was able to get the egg correctly done but always neglected to toast the muffin. I would even make a special request to have the muffin well toasted. I find the “toast” thing to be an issue at a lot of restaurants. It seems that those preparing toasted items generally have a short attention span and forget the toast until the last moment. I often think that someone has just threatened applying heat to my toasted item but never followed thru with their threat.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
Master Chef

I like mine on toast with grape jelly. Yum! Now I'll have to make some for lunch!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have to add that I rarely poach eggs these days since I don't have chickens yet here on my VA farm (but they ARE in the "master plan" - lol!!).

There is nothing to compare with eggs fresh from the hens' - ahem - behinds. You don't need any vinegar or fancy methods since the whites are automatically perfectly rounded up around the high deep-orange yolks.

Once I poached eggs from my own hens back in NY & then had to go back to supermarket eggs, I lost interest in doing it.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandgl
I find the “toast” thing to be an issue at a lot of restaurants. It seems that those preparing toasted items generally have a short attention span and forget the toast until the last moment. I often think that someone has just threatened applying heat to my toasted item but never followed thru with their threat.
Mirandgl, I am in your camp. Crispy toast, or in this case, Eng. muffin, is a must, or the whole idea falls apart. Warm, squishy bread does not equal toast.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I love hash browns. And cheese.

So my favorite would have to be a poached egg or two over cheese hash browns with plenty of grated onion in them (forgot to mention love of onions).
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Well hello there

I love poached eggs over polenta with sauteed greens and grated locatelli cheeese.

I do so hope you are well.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss VeraBlue....

Locatelli cheese...is that kinda like Rat cheese?

Where have ya been?

Polenta, wilted greens, poached eggs...sounds like something I could go for!
2:00 AM and two empty Bookers....yep would be might fine eats.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Eggs Sardou, hands down! although on Easter Sunday I had a Crabcakes Benedict that was fabulous!
Wow, ChefJune! I had to look that one up, and though I haven't had it yet, that would be MY favorite, too! Recipes : Eggs Sardou : Food Network

I will make this for dinner sometime!

Thanks for mentioning it!

Lee
Old 05-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I like to make a hash brown (mostly a diced potatoe, onion, and bell pepper kind of hash), and when 95% cooked/browned, add eggs unbroken to the top and cover for a few minutes till the eggs are set. dunking the eggs with a buttered wheat toast point, then a "little" ketchup on the side with a fork of the hash is a comfort food.

Casper
Old 05-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I love eggs benedict or benedict with spinach(florentine) there is another one I can't remember name but it has crab (Alexander?).One we used to make at the Ski Valley in Taos,NM I also can not remember name but it had a creamy tomato sauce (Aurore?) an artichoke bottom a poached egg on top of artichoke bottom and then a nice layer of Bernaise.HEAVEN on a plate.

Tags
None