Favorite Poached Egg Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
What's your's

Mine is Eggs Creole..Cheese Grits with sausage made 1 day ahead and chilled. Cut circles the next day, coat with flour, egg wash and bread crumbs. Fry quickly in fairly deep oil. Top with a poached egg and creole sauce over the top! With coffee a full meal deal.

I love corned beef hash (preferably homemade) with poached eggs on top. Also love an "eggs benedict" made with smoked salmon, baby spinach, poached eggs and holandaise.

I don't really have any experience making poached eggs. I've had eggs benedict at breakfast joints in the past. I wasn't overly thrilled with them, but they were good. Perhaps some day I'll try poaching an egg. I love trying new things.

I have two favorites - "Eggs Benedict" (whether made with Canadian bacon, turkey ham, or salmon), & "Eggs Florentine" (poached eggs on a bed of cooked garlic spinach, topped with a swiss or gruyere cheese sauce, some buttered crumbs, & baked until lightly browned).

Eggs in Purgatory. Fry some crushed garlic in olive oil, add some tomato puree, salt, freshly ground pepper. Crack some eggs into the sauce, poach, then add some basil, and freshly grated parmesan.

Loprraine said:
Eggs in Purgatory. Fry some crushed garlic in olive oil, add some tomato puree, salt, freshly ground pepper. Crack some eggs into the sauce, poach, then add some basil, and freshly grated parmesan.

I like this idea, and will do it soon!

Love poached eggs, nothing fancy though, either over toast, or hash , or hashbrowns. My Dad use to put it in a coffee cup and tear his bread into it and eat with a spoon. I like that too.

Bubble & Squeak tooped with poached egg and accompanied by bacon rashers.

My choice is Eggs Benedict. I very rarely fix this at home due to the effort; primarily with the Hollandaise sauce. I don’t often order this in a restaurant because they seldom seem to get it right.

I think texture is an important part of food enjoyment. Liquid yolk and Hollandaise sauce are complemented by the crisp toasted English muffin. My son used to cringe when I ordered Eggs Benedict because he knew there was a good chance I would be upset with the quality. I sent back my Benedict three times at a restaurant at Walt Disney World because the yolks were like a hard boiled egg. The chef finally came out and brought my breakfast with his apologies. It was done correctly.

A local breakfast place was able to get the egg correctly done but always neglected to toast the muffin. I would even make a special request to have the muffin well toasted. I find the “toast” thing to be an issue at a lot of restaurants. It seems that those preparing toasted items generally have a short attention span and forget the toast until the last moment. I often think that someone has just threatened applying heat to my toasted item but never followed thru with their threat.

I have to add that I rarely poach eggs these days since I don't have chickens yet here on my VA farm (but they ARE in the "master plan" - lol!!).

There is nothing to compare with eggs fresh from the hens' - ahem - behinds. You don't need any vinegar or fancy methods since the whites are automatically perfectly rounded up around the high deep-orange yolks.

Once I poached eggs from my own hens back in NY & then had to go back to supermarket eggs, I lost interest in doing it.

Mirandgl said:
I find the “toast” thing to be an issue at a lot of restaurants. It seems that those preparing toasted items generally have a short attention span and forget the toast until the last moment. I often think that someone has just threatened applying heat to my toasted item but never followed thru with their threat.
Mirandgl, I am in your camp. Crispy toast, or in this case, Eng. muffin, is a must, or the whole idea falls apart. Warm, squishy bread does not equal toast.

I love hash browns. And cheese.

So my favorite would have to be a poached egg or two over cheese hash browns with plenty of grated onion in them (forgot to mention love of onions).

Well hello there:kiss:

I love poached eggs over polenta with sauteed greens and grated locatelli cheeese.

I do so hope you are well.

Miss VeraBlue....

Locatelli cheese...is that kinda like Rat cheese? :ermm:

Where have ya been?

Polenta, wilted greens, poached eggs...sounds like something I could go for!
2:00 AM and two empty Bookers....yep would be might fine eats.

I like to make a hash brown (mostly a diced potatoe, onion, and bell pepper kind of hash), and when 95% cooked/browned, add eggs unbroken to the top and cover for a few minutes till the eggs are set. dunking the eggs with a buttered wheat toast point, then a "little" ketchup on the side with a fork of the hash is a comfort food.

Casper

:) I love eggs benedict or benedict with spinach(florentine) there is another one I can't remember name but it has crab (Alexander?).One we used to make at the Ski Valley in Taos,NM I also can not remember name but it had a creamy tomato sauce (Aurore?) an artichoke bottom a poached egg on top of artichoke bottom and then a nice layer of Bernaise.HEAVEN on a plate.

Back
Top Bottom