Favourite egg recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in the '50s and '60s when my parents were raising 5 children, one of the meals my mother prepared for our Friday suppers was something she called Eggs Goldenrod. We were a Catholic family and in those days, Fridays were observed as meatless days, so it wasn't unusual for us to have this egg dish.

I don't think my mother really had a recipe for it since I never saw one. Here's what I've come up with as a more than adequate duplicate. Oh, and sometimes I'll add chopped ham if I want to "meat" it up. I've also served it for breakfast. We've always served it on toast made from homemade bread. It's still one of my favorites.

EGGS A LA GOLDENROD​
(Serves 6)​
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
2¼ cups milk
6 hard-cooked eggs
Buttered hot toast, toast cups or biscuits

Peel eggs and separate yolks from whites. Coarsely chop the whites and set aside. Put yolks through a sieve or ricer or chop until they are the consistency of fine crumbs. Put into a small serving bowl.

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk, a little at a time, and heat to boiling. Whisking constantly, boil and stir for 1 minute. Gently stir in chopped egg whites and heat through.

To serve, place toast, toast cups or split biscuits on each plate. Top with some of the white sauce and sprinkle egg yolks over top. Serve while hot.

My favourite has to be Kueh Sarlat or Serikaya, a steamed Asian dessert that has glutinous rice with egg custard as topping.

KatieE - I recall my mom making something very similar to that (I'm a product of the '50's & '60's as well) except that she just quartered or thickly sliced the hard-boiled eggs & added regular mild yellow curry powder to the sauce. She also served it over toast, although sometimes would vary that by serving it over plain white rice.

Even though these days I'm a fiend for all types of curry, I remember back then it wasn't one of my favorite meals.

I think it would have to be my breakfast today:

(yes, that's a porterhouse)
steakandeggs.jpg

Bread pudding. I'd eat bread pudding every day if it didn't miraculously show up on my hips the next morning.

Huevos Rancheros - my way.
Make a spicy tomato sauce. Add chorizo, or ham if you like it. Place in a baking dish and break two eggs per person on top. Cover with a slice of white cheese. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the eggs are set.
Serve with corn tortillas and fresh, hot Salsa!

Then, of course, there's a wonderful breakfast dish involving
a toasted muffin or savoury scone
a thick slice of smoked salmon
a poached egg on top
a Hollandaise sauce
a sprinkling of parsley and raw red onion.

Heaven!

Silver said:
I think it would have to be my breakfast today:

(yes, that's a porterhouse)
steakandeggs.jpg

That looks like a good old fashioned British fry up! YUM!
I love a bacon and fried egg sandwich with HP sauce...it's what HP was invented for!

GrannyG said:
Egg Custard

Put this in the microwave as you sit down to dinner and you will have a wonderful warm custard for dessert.

1 1/4 cups milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBSP packed light brown sugar

1. Put milk and vanilla into 4-cup microwave-safe measure. Microwave uncovered on high 2 to 3 minutes till hot.
2. Meanwhile, beat eggs, granulated sugar and salt in medium-size bowl until blended.
3. Gradually whisk in hot milk until blended.
4. Pour into four 5-6 ounce custard cups. Place cups on a 10-inch round microwave-safe plate. Place plate on mico-wave safe trivet or inverved saucer in microwave oven.
5. Microwave uncovered on medium 6 to 8 minutes, rotating each cup and then the dish 1/2 turn once, until custard is almost set (the centers should jiggle a little).
6. Let stand about 5 minutes until center is firm and sprinkle with the brown sugar.

Custard

Thank you for that delicious recipe...i find the texture & taste more satisfying when chylled for in the fridge but at the same time its nice to have a warm cup on a cold day :chef:

I really like this recipe, too. Having lots of fresh eggs helps us out.
I have a great bread pudding recipe I will try to post later, has a
sauce that goes with it that is really tasty.

BREAD PUDDING

5 or 6 slices of bread
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Nutmeg to taste (I use just a little, pinch)
Cinnamon to taste (at least 1/2 teaspoon)

Tear bread into pieces and put in baking dish. Mix and add the
rest of the ingredients and stir well with spoon. Bake at 350 degrees
for approx. 45 minutes to 1 hour. You want it to "set".

SAUCE

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 TBSP flour
1/3 cup butter

Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes.
When the pudding is done, using a fork, poke some holes in the top of
it and pour the hot sauce on top.
Yummy, Fattening, use only butter for a rich dessert

GrannyG said:
BREAD PUDDING

5 or 6 slices of bread
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Nutmeg to taste (I use just a little, pinch)
Cinnamon to taste (at least 1/2 teaspoon)

Tear bread into pieces and put in baking dish. Mix and add the
rest of the ingredients and stir well with spoon. Bake at 350 degrees
for approx. 45 minutes to 1 hour. You want it to "set".

SAUCE

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 TBSP flour
1/3 cup butter

Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes.
When the pudding is done, using a fork, poke some holes in the top of
it and pour the hot sauce on top.
Yummy, Fattening, use only butter for a rich dessert

Wait so for the bread pudding part do you mix the bread around inthe to rest of the ingredients or do you leave it at the bottom of baking dish. Also how small do you tear the peices (approxamately how many peices hsould you get out of one bread)

And for the sauce you recomended leaving water and milk out for a more rich topping?

Just tear up the pieces of bread into any size you wish. Mix the milk, sugar,eggs,butter, and vanilla and pour over the top of the bread,then give it a stir. Or you can soak the bread in the mixture, then put in the baking dish, does the same thing, sprinkle dash of cinnamon and nutmeg and bake. Then take out, finish with the sauce. No, don't leave out the milk and water, it will soak into the pudding and make it nice and soft to eat.

Back
Top Bottom