Favourite egg recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYBrit

Senior Cook
What is your favourite recipe with eggs as the main ingredient? Besides scrambled or boiled eggs which are too obvious! :rolleyes:

Omelets are my favorite, since there are such an infinite number of fillings/toppings one can use with them. My general favorites are cheddar & ham or turkey bacon, spinach & feta cheese, & mushrooms & swiss cheese.

As far as main dish egg dishes, one of my favorites is poached eggs placed on a bed of cooked spinach, topped with a well-seasoned swiss cheese sauce & a light sprinkling of seasoned bread crumbs, & just run under the broiler until bubbly & browning.

BreezyCooking said:
Omelets are my favorite, since there are such an infinite number of fillings/toppings one can use with them. My general favorites are cheddar & ham or turkey bacon, spinach & feta cheese, & mushrooms & swiss cheese.

As far as main dish egg dishes, one of my favorites is poached eggs placed on a bed of cooked spinach, topped with a well-seasoned swiss cheese sauce & a light sprinkling of seasoned bread crumbs, & just run under the broiler until bubbly & browning.

I love omelettes! especially with Mozerella and mushroom. YUM!

Constance said:
Egg custard...my grandma used to make it in little custard cups for me, and I did the same for my kids.

In England I used to eat custard pies. Small pastry dishes with custard made of egg and cheese and I'm not sure what else. I used to love them. I wonder if that's kind of the same thing?

Egg Custard! In custard cups..in pies...and maybe stretching a bit...maybe old timey frozen custard...custard with a few bananas and nilla wafers comes to mind also;)

NYBrit said:
In England I used to eat custard pies. Small pastry dishes with custard made of egg and cheese and I'm not sure what else. I used to love them. I wonder if that's kind of the same thing?

The custard I'm talking about is a sweet custard, with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top. We make pies out of it, too.
This recipe is like grandma's, except she used whole milk, not heavy cream.

http://www.recipesource.com/text/desserts/recipe993.txt

I partially bake a 9 inch pie crust. Then I saute several bunches of thinly sliced leeks in butter.After baking the crust I spread grated Gruyere cheese over the bottom, top with the sauteed leeks, the pour in a mix of 3-4 eggs 2/3 c. heavy cream with a pinch of nutmeg..Dot the top with several tab. of butter and bake at 375 til set and golden.
kadesma:)

Egg Custard

Put this in the microwave as you sit down to dinner and you will have a wonderful warm custard for dessert.

1 1/4 cups milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBSP packed light brown sugar

1. Put milk and vanilla into 4-cup microwave-safe measure. Microwave uncovered on high 2 to 3 minutes till hot.
2. Meanwhile, beat eggs, granulated sugar and salt in medium-size bowl until blended.
3. Gradually whisk in hot milk until blended.
4. Pour into four 5-6 ounce custard cups. Place cups on a 10-inch round microwave-safe plate. Place plate on mico-wave safe trivet or inverved saucer in microwave oven.
5. Microwave uncovered on medium 6 to 8 minutes, rotating each cup and then the dish 1/2 turn once, until custard is almost set (the centers should jiggle a little).
6. Let stand about 5 minutes until center is firm and sprinkle with the brown sugar.

Custard

creme brulee, frittata, poached eggs and quiche. I like eggs in every form except perhaps deviled eggs which I will eat but somehow have never developed a big liking towards.

Oooh - forgot about Deviled Eggs. I LOVE them, & enjoy trying out different mixtures & toppings (love them topped with caper-rolled anchovy filets!).

In fact, I also really like making what I call "Deviled Egg Salad", which is really just Deviled Eggs all chopped up & served on lettuce or as a sandwich filling.

And Egg Sandwiches (you guys have me on a roll now - lol!!)!!

I like to either make a small one-egg omelette, folded into quarters, or fry an egg, & then serve it on a roll with melted cheese, ham or turkey bacon, & a few dashes of hot pepper sauce.

Our local bagel shop makes a terrific Egg Sandwich with your choice of 1 or 2 eggs; real Virginia country ham, bacon, or sausage; & swiss, American, cheddar, provoline, or muenster cheese!!! All served up on a large soft egg bagel. One of those along with the terrific fresh coffee they always have on hand makes a fabulous to-go early-morning breakfast when I'm on the run.

GrannyG, thank you, thank you for the microwave custard recipe! It's so much simpler than dealing with the water bath.
I do have one question: My microwave has a round glass tray that turns. Do you think I could set the custard cups directly on it?

Back
Top Bottom