Feta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Robo410 said:
Feta, one of my 500 favorite cheeses.
:) I see you and I are cut from the same cheesecloth :D

I simply adore feta, it's salty sqeaky texture is so lovely. In recent years my favourite way to enjoy feta has been in a watermelon salad or pizza (especially an otherwise all veggie one).

Konditor said:
Saganaki (Fried Feta Cheese Cubes)

1 lb. feta, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup flour
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
4 fl. oz. corn oil
Lemon wedges, for garnish

Pat cheese cubes dry. Bread them by dredging lightly in flour; shake off excess; dip into beaten egg, then roll in bread crumbs until well coated.

In large deep skillet, heat oil to 350°. Fry cubes in batches in single layer, without crowding, until golden brown, about 45 seconds. Drain on unglazed brown paper. Serve garnished w/ lemon wedges.

Actually, true saganaki is made with Kasseri (or Ka[FONT=&quot]şar in Turkish) Cheese. It's actually broiled then flamed with brandy. I've never heard of using feta for this. ETA: But then again as I was thinking of it, the recipe above is as much a Saganaki as the method I am used to. Just because I've never heard of it doesn't matter if it tastes good. I might try it with feta. :)

As for feta - we are huge fans of sheep's milk French, Bulgarian, and Greek feta. When we are in Turkey, we just can't get enough of it. The key is to brine it to get the salt out. We buy a kilo and let it sit in water for a couple of days before using and it is just dreamy. I love going to the cheese counter when we're in Turkey... dozens of fetas to choose from. A cheese lover's paradise.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
How about prawns with feta?

"Garides Saganaki" in Greek.

In an oven-proof flat pan, lay out in one layer as many whole, raw, unpeeled prawns as you wish. Layer over those slices or chunks of feta (creamy feta is best, IF you can get it) then top the feta with thinnish (1/4" or less) slices of fresh tomato. Pour a generous (and I mean this ... don't do spoonfuls!) amount of olive oil over all, and salt and pepper to taste. Fresh oregano is nice too.

Broil at a moderate distance from the heat source until the tomato has softened, the cheese melted (and browned a bit if you like). Fish out a prawn, peel, pop in your mouth after sliding it around a bit in the tomato/feta sauce.

Yummmmm!

marmalady said:
I used to do a pasta for my kids with feta that they loved -

cooked linguine or fettucini

In a skillet, melt some butter, add a little garlic (or powder), and sliced green onions; some fresh parsley, salt/pepper. Toss the pasta in this with just a little of the cooking water, and add chunks of feta. Yum!

DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sounds so good!!! Spinach would be good in this too, but kinda afraid to eat it now.

My husbands loves scrambled eggs and feta. I whisk the eggs, add some feta, chopped garlic and/or chopped onions, salt, pepper, oregano .. cook as you would normally cook scrambled eggs (this could be an omelet too). Tomato wedges or diced tomatoes on the side (I like them ice cold)

Back
Top Bottom