"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Flavoring yogurt, help!

Hi!

I have started to make homemade yogurt for my sisters :) But I would like to have some taste to it sins my sisters don't like plain yogurt.

I have frozen berries in the freezer. When should I add this? Before I put the yogurt in the machine (or oven) to incubate? I guess I need to thaw them first??

Last time I added vanilla extract after it was incubated and that did not work because the yogurt became to runny..

I now I can add berries and fruit right before I serve it but it would be so much easier if they just could take of finish yogurt from the refrigerator ..

kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp View Post
Hi!

I have started to make homemade yogurt for my sisters :) But I would like to have some taste to it sins my sisters don't like plain yogurt.

I have frozen berries in the freezer. When should I add this? Before I put the yogurt in the machine (or oven) to incubate? I guess I need to thaw them first??

Last time I added vanilla extract after it was incubated and that did not work because the yogurt became to runny..

I now I can add berries and fruit right before I serve it but it would be so much easier if they just could take of finish yogurt from the refrigerator ..
If you use a good quality vanilla extract, you'll only need 2 or 3 drops per 1/2 pint to flavor it, and that amount shouldn't make it runny.

I've always added the fruit, wheat germ, flavoring, whatever I was adding to the yogurt after it was finished.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Head Chef

Any flavoring should be added to homemade yogurt after it has been made, otherwise it will interfere with the making of the yogurt. I add mine, usually a fruit syrup, just before eating. Occasionally homemade jams do not gel and I use these syrups for my yogurt.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I like dates & walnuts in mine.

Tags
None