For the love of cheese :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a Paneer fan too. Even made my own one time. Enjoy it most Indian-style with spinach.

Palak paneer (paneer with spinach) love it too but like it any way!
I make my own paneer all the time, I like it fresh :)
It's good drizzled with maple syrup and baked till just melted too! Like a cheesy creme brulee.

Oh goodness - how could I have forgotten one of my all-time from-childhood favorites - Limburger Cheese (the REAL stuff, not that nauseating processed spread that some supermarkets sell) with thinly sliced raw onion on white bread.

My dad thought we were crazy, but this was one of my mom's & my favorite sandwiches. Back when Liederkranz was still in existence, we used that too.

Oh, did you bring back memories! Add a cold glass of beer and you got heaven!

You're turning fickle, Snip.
What happened to the crusty bread?

Love your cheese!

What is are your favourite cheeses and ways to serve them? I like camembert baked with preserved figs and crusty bread most! Yum

:LOL:

You do love your cheese...
So do I :)

I've noticed the deli Swiss getting more bland, too.

In no particular order:

Stilton, excellent with port wine neat or on crackers
Mimosa and its younger sister, Mimolette, good French aged cheddar style cheeses
An Irish cheddar which I see occasionally, aged 6 years, flaky and dry. I never remember the name
Raclette, a traditional fondue cheese, and the best grilled sandwich cheese.
Any well aged pecorino romano or parmesian;

I am fortunate in having a very good wine and deli shop which had over 20 of the worlds top 100 cheeses as rated by Spectator before the mag came out. I can make a meal out of cheese, peasant bread, and wine, and often do.

I have to begin with my favorite, and then the others, all equally loved.

Balderson Heritage Cheddar, available aged from 2 to 6 years, with the 5 year age being my favorite.
Dorsett Drum Sharp Cheddar
Beemans' aged Gouda
Havarti
Parmesano Regiano
Pecorino Romano
Asiago
Colby
Sharp Pinconing
4% milkfat large curd cottage cheese
Muenster
Pungeant, aged Swiss
Butterkase
Yancy's Fancy Bergenost
Fontina
Fetta
Gorgonzola
Young Mozzarella
Provolone
Queso Blanco
Manchego
Gruyere
Cream Cheese
It's similar to Crem'e Fresche, but isn't, and I can't remember the name of it! Oh!, Marsacpone!
Velveeta
And more :mrgreen::D:w00t2:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
You're turning fickle, Snip.
What happened to the crusty bread?

Love your cheese!

What is are your favourite cheeses and ways to serve them? I like camembert baked with preserved figs and crusty bread most! Yum

You do love your cheese...
So do I :)

I've noticed the deli Swiss getting more bland, too.

Fickle, I doubt it! Indecisive possibly but not sure what you mean by the crusty bread comment :huh:
Always have liked cheese and crusty bread :wry smile:

Thank you :) Our supermarket Deli will find any cheese you ask for, how cool is that!
Thats amazing, this will be a hard test for them.
This is my favorite aged Ewe milk cheese from the Croatian Island of Pag its called Paski Sir and event though it won the Gold medal at the world cheese contest for best newcomer I cant buy it in the UK or the US:)

Thats amazing, this will be a hard test for them.
This is my favorite aged Ewe milk cheese from the Croatian Island of Pag its called Paski Sir and event though it won the Gold medal at the world cheese contest for best newcomer I cant buy it in the UK or the US:)

Is pretty great, they stock over 400 kinds and if they don't have what you want they get it for you or so they say! I'll be asking for Paski Sir then to challenge them and to try it obviously :)

Fickle, I doubt it! Indecisive possibly but not sure what you mean by the crusty bread comment :huh:
Always have liked cheese and crusty bread :wry smile:

Fickle/indecisive... same thing pretty much.
I meant that last month when you started a thread exactly like this one your favorite was crusty bread. This month it's baguette slices. Same cheese, different bread ;)

I meant that last month when you started a thread exactly like this one your favorite was crusty bread. This month it's baguette slices. Same cheese, different bread ;)

Lol! Oh ok, baguettes are crusty too :P
And I only had 5 favourites to choose from, couldn't list them all remember.
Nice to know you pay attention :)

Ooh, cheese is a favorite in this house. It occupies far too much of our little refrigerator space. As a matter of fact, before the economy tanked, dh and I were seriously discussing opening a cheese shop. Not being businessmen, we were just at the point of researching how to proceed. Just L.O.V.E. cheese and we may still do something like that after retiring.

My *favorites* are hard to come by in the US, where I live.

- Comté, which is nutty like Gruyère, simply on good crackers, with good bread or as part of canapé

- Fourme d'Ambert - a blue cheese, with ripe cantaloupe. Pure heaven.

- Reblochon - in the spirit of Brie, but softer... great with potatoes

- Feta - nothing like the Feta that we buy when we're back in Turkey visiting family. You go to the deli case in grocery stores and they have an entire wall of just fetas. Delicious in the mornings with my
boğaça (a Turkish breakfast roll).

Those that are easily accessible that we always have on-hand:

- Greek Feta (found at Costco)
- Gruyère
- Caerphilly
- Roquefort
- Dolce Gorgonzola
- Fresh, fresh, fresh mozzarella
(buffalo or cow, as long as it's made the same day)
- Extra Sharp Cheddar - my current favorite is from Cedar Grove.
- The rest of the cheeses in the world. ;)

Fickle - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Fickle - Synonyms and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Indecisive - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Indecision - Synonyms and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Subtle differences. :smartass:

Yip, I don't need to Google it but it's those subtle differences that made me say I'm indecisive and not fickle :p
But anyway we'll still just love the smart ass..lol!
He sleeps in the cutlery drawer at night, can't help it he's so sharp :angel:

Mmmmmmm cheese. One of the most important food bandaids around and so amazing all on its own.

I am not a fan of bleu on its own, but in stuff...WOW. Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to name a cheese I didn't love. I prefer the soft cheeses with a good sesame cracker but the really old cheddars are amazing all on their own or with a slice of Granny smith apple.

No one has mentioned Imperial cheese yet. I figured GW would have had that in his list! MMMMMMMM! Now I have to go raid MY fridge too!

Thanks, Snip. I try to add a little humor where it's needed, but that wasn't one of those times ;)

Back
Top Bottom