"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Cotswold with a slice of tomato and bacon on a warm crispy hunk of fried bread (Very English)
Champignon on a baguette
Caerphilly anyway I can get it
most any blue most any way

Cheese. What's not to like? It's just milk gone off!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Whatever they are sampling at the cheese counter...

Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Master Chef

Being a hard-core cheeselover, I have a list of cheeses & comments back on my old computer that need to be transferred by dear hubby to my new computer. But off the top of my point little head:

Brie - While of course I enjoy the imported brands, our local Wegmans offers a wonderful Brie packaged by wedge under their own name & in 3 different scales of ripeness - "mild", "buttery", "earthy". "Buttery" & "Earthy" are my two favorites, & spreading their wonderful ooziness on a "Stoned Wheat Thin" cracker is a true pleasure.

Any Blue - from Gorgonzola (dolce is my favorite) to Maytag, tossed into salads or served with perfectly ripe sliced pears & a glass of ruby port.

Gruyere - sliced with crackers, used in any number of sauces, or allowed to show itself in a delicious wine-spiked fondue.

Hot Pepper Cheese - yes, yes, I know it's "processed", but sometimes I really do get a hankering for heat-spiked cheese, & we have quite a few very good brands available around here. On crackers or melted into natchos - sometimes it just really hits the spot.

Feta - while I frequently buy the supermarket types, I also frequently splurge & order the real barrel-aged stuff, to which the supermarket brands can't compare. Tossed into salads, into sauteed spinach, into Spanokopeta, Greek shrimp dishes, etc., etc. I LOVE feta.

Goat Cheeses - have yet to meet one I haven't loved. From aged Gouda types to the soft & creamy ones that are perfect for stuffing into chicken breasts.

There are dozens of others, but these are the ones most often found in my fridge.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

Nearly forgot to say mini Babybel :) Love them as but left out to soften slightly, I hate cheese straight from the fridge!

Goats milk feta- Baked with olive oil, calamata olives, caramelised onion and a slice of tomato in a foil parcel for 30 mins and served with butter naan :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Treasure Cave bleu, gruyere, brie, extra sharp cheddar, Hoffman's super hot pepperjack.

Now I hafta go raid the fridge...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
Head Chef

The problem I have with cheeses is that...I pretty like them all, from mild soft cheeses to ultra-stinky! When traveling through countries like Italy, France, England, have always enjoyed sampling what's on offer locally, as most of them never travel beyond town limits.
Specifically for a quick snack, love smoked gouda on a toasted English muffin.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
The problem I have with cheeses is that...I pretty like them all, from mild soft cheeses to ultra-stinky! When traveling throught countries like Italy, France, England, have always enjoyed sampling what's on offer locally, as most of them never travel beyond town limits.
Specifically for a quick snack, love smoked gouda on a toasted English muffin.
I'm a bit obsessed with cheese! I traveled the entire Cape Town wine route and just to have the cheeses on offer and the Vinyards..lol!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Master Chef

Oh goodness - how could I have forgotten one of my all-time from-childhood favorites - Limburger Cheese (the REAL stuff, not that nauseating processed spread that some supermarkets sell) with thinly sliced raw onion on white bread.

My dad thought we were crazy, but this was one of my mom's & my favorite sandwiches. Back when Liederkranz was still in existence, we used that too.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
Master Chef

Oh and 2 more!

Butterkase - with baguettes and a pint of Guinness
Paneer - seasoned with salt and cracked black pepper, fried till golden and dipped in sweet chili sauce

Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #20
Head Chef

Blue cheese, especially smoked!
Extra sharp cheddar
Goat cheese, from young to medium to aged - (Bucheron is a great aged one)
Heini's Sundried Tomato and Garlic yogurt cheese
Parrano
Imported Swiss
And last, but definitely not least, Parmigiano Reggiano.
Plus, I just discovered the only domestic parmesan I've ever liked, and it's Sarvecchio - it's fantastic - nice and pungent!
http://www.shopsartori.com/sapa.html

Tags
cheese, other